Extensions and custom buttons for UXP browsers - Corrections, modifications, adjustments, and special recommendations

Hey,I know their great. I have been using Custom Buttons since way back when https://codefisher.org

was created. I basically was trying to get some people here to  be interested in forking and supporting

some of the Great addons still in the "Classic Addons Archive" (CAA) that still need a new home and developer.

EDIT:

XUL addons forever. They have the ability to change the browser UI. Web extensions can;t do that.

I for one thought I would never leave Win XP but I was basically forced to go to Win 7 and the experience was Great.

Edited by billmcct

Posted (edited)

There are actually a lot of extensions or custom buttons that are just waiting to be given a new lease of life. vaccin.gif Therefore, I would also very much welcome it if more users of UXP browsers who have the appropriate skills would fork and develop extensions or custom buttons:) Strictly following the rule: the more, the better. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

Perhaps you could consider to split topics and keep custom buttons and extensions separate, to tidy things up, make them easier to find and read and avoid potential confusion.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Amigafever said:

Perhaps you could consider to split topics and keep custom buttons and extensions separate, to tidy things up, make them easier to find and read and avoid potential confusion.

Creating this thread was complex and very time-consuming. Right from the start, I paid attention to a good and clear structure. In the first three posts of this thread, I made a clear differentiation between extensions and custom buttons:

Introductory post: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183923-extensions-and-custom-buttons-for-uxp-browsers-corrections-modifications-adjustments-and-special-recommendations/?do=findComment&comment=1226243
Extensions: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183923-extensions-and-custom-buttons-for-uxp-browsers-corrections-modifications-adjustments-and-special-recommendations/?do=findComment&comment=1226244
Custom buttons and other articles: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183923-extensions-and-custom-buttons-for-uxp-browsers-corrections-modifications-adjustments-and-special-recommendations/?do=findComment&comment=1226245

All listed entries there have been linked to their corresponding posts. Thus, all is easy to find. In my opinion, that will have to suffice. BTW, such kind of structure is rather rare to find here in this or other forums (actually fora), if I may say so. :P But thanks for your opinion! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Posted (edited)

If I post custom buttons here, regardless of whether they were created by me or by someone else, or in some cases, modded or fixed by me, then this results in a clear advantage for the user. These custom buttons have definitely been tested by me and are compatible with the Custom Buttons extension and @roytam1's UXP browsers. :P And most probably compatible with Basilisk and Pale Moon, too. Isn't that a great service? spanachee.gif ssuper5sur5.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

Posted (edited)

And since I've talked so much about custom buttons recently, I'll introduce another one next, so that you don't get the impression that this guy here is just babbling. :buehehe:

Edited by AstroSkipper

Posted (edited)

About: Menu - A custom button for accessing all about: pages via a toolbar menu

The About: Menu custom button, created by the well-known developer LouCypher long time ago, is another useful one. It gives the user the opportunity to access any desired about: page by clicking onto the corresponding entry inside a toolbar button menu. This menu contains all entries which are listed on the about:about page, but it is more convenient to access via a toolbar button.

Here is a screenshot:

Hqc1x.png

I only changed the tool tip text and replaced the image of the toolbar button icon by the one from the Add-ons Manager. I should mention at this point that the button does not work in Serpent 52, but in New Moon 28. Thanks to @dmiranda for reporting! I uploaded the About: Menu custom button as an HTML file for an offline installation.

Here is the download link of my modded custom button About: Menu, credits, of course, to its great developer LouCypherhttps://www.mediafire.com/file/o931jc1a3e7l9zj/About-_Menu_4-7-24__021410.htm/file

Simply open this HTML file in a browser tab and click the embedded custom button link for About: Menu! For the installation of this button, as for all others too, the extension Custom Buttons is required and has to be installed first. You can get it from this post: https://msfn.org/board/topic/183923-extensions-and-custom-buttons-for-uxp-browsers-corrections-modifications-adjustments-and-special-recommendations/?do=findComment&comment=1226328

Greetings from Germany, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

@AstroSkipper did you fork this button? I have been using one for many years now called "About:about Button"

which does almost the same thing. It's in the CAA. With this one I was able to delete the button from the UI because

it also shows up in the tools menu as a drop down. There are 407 Buttons in the CAA that don't require having

"Custom Buttons" being installed. They install as an *.xpi.

Edited by billmcct

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, billmcct said:

@AstroSkipper did you fork this button? I have been using one for many years now called "About:about Button"

which does almost the same thing. It's in the CAA. With this one I was able to delete the button from the UI because

it also shows up in the tools menu as a drop down. There are 407 Buttons in the CAA that don't require having

"Custom Buttons" being installed. They install as an *.xpi.

As I already explained, I try to use as few extensions as possible, as they have a greater impact on memory and tend to cause compatibility problems. If features can be retrofitted by custom buttons, I use them instead of extensions. But I have to admit that I still install far too many extensions, but of course I also use them. As everyone knows by now, I'm also a big fan of extensions. :thumbup The About: Menu custom button was created by the well-known developer LouCypher long ago. I just modded it a bit as described in my article.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

12 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

The About: Menu custom button, created by the well-known developer LouCypher long time ago, is another useful one. It gives the user the opportunity to access any desired about: page by clicking onto the corresponding entry inside a toolbar button menu. This menu contains all entries which are listed on the about:about page, but it is more convenient to access via a toolbar button.

Hi! I'm trying it now in sp52, but for some reason the menu won't pop up in my setup. Is there anyway to debug it? I checked the console, just in case, but nothing. Thanks!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, dmiranda said:

Hi! I'm trying it now in sp52, but for some reason the menu won't pop up in my setup. Is there anyway to debug it? I checked the console, just in case, but nothing. Thanks!

Actually, I thought the About: Menu custom button would work in Serpent 52, too. When I am back at my desktop computer, I will have a look at this. In New Moon 28, however, I can definitely confirm that this custom button works as it should. Generally, most custom buttons tested by me worked in both browsers. But, of course, we all know the proof is in the pudding. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

31 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

As I already explained, I try to use as few extensions as possible, as they have a greater impact on memory and tend to cause compatibility problems. If features can be retrofitted by custom buttons, I use them instead of extensions. But I have to admit that I still install far too many extensions, but of course I also use them. As everyone knows by now, I'm also a big fan of extensions. :thumbup The About: Menu custom button was created by the well-known developer LouCypher long ago. I just modded it a bit as described in my article.

Extensions:

88 enabled 19 disabled the 19 I only enable when needed.

2 hours ago, billmcct said:

Extensions:

88 enabled 19 disabled the 19 I only enable when needed.

In my very old New Moon profile, I have 67 extensions enabled and 5 disabled. But in the more recent profiles, I try to use much less of them.