Extensions and custom buttons for UXP browsers - Corrections, modifications, adjustments, and special recommendations

4 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

Did that, but I still have this strange issue with the colours of the country flags (don't see it in your screenshot though).

Firefox (colours are right):

spacer.png

Pale Moon (colours are wrong):

spacer.png

Right! If you look at my screenshot taken from New Moon 28, you will notice that there isn't a problem with the colours of the flags as far as I can see. It rather seems to be a problem with your browser. Try, for example, to change your colour scheme and check your graphic settings! But TBH, not realy important. What did you say about my changes? :dubbio: It was a lot of hard work if I may be honest at this point. suisjebete.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

3 hours ago, dmiranda said:

Have you guys tried it on mypal? I was scared first, then, as I further tightened ublock, puzzled.

If you were talking about Mypal 68, then this would be unfortunately off-topic here. This thread is about legacy extensions for UXP-based browsers. Don't forget we have a thread I created especially for extensions in Mypal 68:)

Edited by AstroSkipper

44 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

What did you say about my changes? :dubbio: It was a lot of hard work if I may be honest at this point. suisjebete.gif

Ah, sorry, I forgot to thank you al the effort you've put into this. :)

About the colours, both browsers are on the same PC and monitor (Eizo) and the issue manifests itself on both real hardware (Pale Moon) and in a VM (New Moon).

But I just realized that I was testing all this in a clean profile and after changing the font settings to use Noto Sans everywhere, the flags are now displayed as they should be. :yes:

Edited by nicolaasjan

@billmcct The thread "New uBlock Origin version released (Special mod by @AstroSkipper)" in the Pale Moon forum is not the support thread of my mod uBlock Origin Legacy:no: By the way, this thread is badly moderated and contains a lot of off-topic comments. If you had been following the thread here closely, you would have noticed that I had found a bug which I had already fixed last night, tragically at considerable expense of time. :whistle: So, as I have already announced here, you will have to download my latest version 1.16.4.32 again. smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

@AstroSkipper, thanks. I was not able to post here using Pale Moon. Using FF to post now

@nicolaasjan notified me of the updated version on the PM forum.

Have re-downloaded and will see what happens.

Sorry but I'm pushing 83-years-old and can't really follow this thread as I should.

Thanks for your hard work on this, I kinda miss @JustOff but he hasn't been heard from since Russia invaded Ukraine.

And now, after revising the way of name change, even the popup correctly shows the new name uBlock Origin Legacy.

Can you tell me which file you used to make this change in? (I don't think it's the Install.rdf..)

Scott

2 hours ago, billmcct said:

@AstroSkipper, thanks. I was not able to post here using Pale Moon. Using FF to post now

@nicolaasjan notified me of the updated version on the PM forum.

Have re-downloaded and will see what happens.

Sorry but I'm pushing 83-years-old and can't really follow this thread as I should.

Thanks for your hard work on this, I kinda miss @JustOff but he hasn't been heard from since Russia invaded Ukraine.

In my revised and fixed version of uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.32, the issue with the empty buttons should not happen anymore. :no: If you have further problems with my mod, or you want to post about your experiences with my mod, I would be very happy if you did that here first. :yes: Thanks! :)

Greetings from Germany, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

2 hours ago, Fightingfalcon said:

Can you tell me which file you used to make this change in? (I don't think it's the Install.rdf..)

Scott

You're right. It is not the install.rdf file. The string uBlock Origin Legacy inside this file is what is shown in the Add-ons Manager. Anyway! There are a couple of files which have to be modified, and it is more complicated as I originally thought. gorhill has created a very special, atypical and complex extension. Due to my experiences that very bad things can happen if modifying important or sensible files inside the uBlock Origin xpi file, I won't provide details about my way of modification. :no: Please understand that! The consequence would be in the end that everyone would change something, and nothing would work afterwards. And then I have to listen to things here or elsewhere that weren't my fault. I'm not in the mood for that at all. nimportequoi.gif In contrast, I definitely know what I'm doing. :P It's as simple as that. smilie_denk_24.gif However, one thing is clear. Anyone can view the code of this extension themselves. It is open code and readable. Anyone with a little more in-depth knowledge knows how to identify the changes. And they are probably rather the right ones to change things. :yes:

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Ahhh... Good point. I don't want to be messing around in files that I don't understand.

Just to let you know, I installed the latest V32 file in both Basilisk and PM. Both work OK with no problems.

Scott

And here is another important notecaptain.gif
In order to install my new mod uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.32 successfully and without any errors, please follow the instructions provided in my article! Here are the essential points once again:

1. Backup all settings via the "Back up to file"" function in uBlock Origin.
  2. Completely uninstall the previous uBlock Origin version.
  3. Clear the browser cache.
  4. Close the browser.
  5. Manually delete the ublock0.sqlite file in your profile folder.
  6. Restart the browser.
  7. Install my mod.
  8. Import the settings from the backup file.

Starting with the version uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.32, my mod has a new ID. Therefore, a clean install is mandatory:yes:

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Version 1.16.4.32 works flawlessly - thanks again! Since uBO Legacy is important for many, many users I hope you will consider in the future uploading it somewhere where it can be easily installed and kept automatically up to date (e.g. Pale Moon Add-ons Site, GitHub or wherever you see fit).

A suggestion for your consideration! There is a nice little improvement in the webextension, in the "Trusted sites" section. Default entries there have a different color and are separately sorted from the user-created entries. In the Legacy version, everything is thrown in together which can be a little confusing if many entries are present.

Not an earth-shattering feature, but if it's easy to implement it'd be nice to have. :)

3 hours ago, Amigafever said:

Version 1.16.4.32 works flawlessly - thanks again!

You're welcome! I am pleased to hear that my mod is working for you as it should. :yes:

3 hours ago, Amigafever said:

Since uBO Legacy is important for many, many users I hope you will consider in the future uploading it somewhere where it can be easily installed and kept automatically up to date (e.g. Pale Moon Add-ons Site, GitHub or wherever you see fit).

This thread was created by me so that everything about extensions and custom buttons for UXP browsers can be posted. You can find all the important links immediately in the first three posts of this thread. Right from the start, I have paid attention to a good and well thought-out structure. My mods, forks and custom buttons are offered here with important information. There will be no decoupling from this thread. In my mods uBlock Origin 1.16.4.31 and uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.32, I therefore have implemented a link to the corresponding article with the title "Information" on the About tab for regular checking. Current updates can therefore be found very easily. :yes: An automatic update service will not happen. :no: Although I do not need to do that, I am happy to share my work, which is of course very time-consuming, but potential users also need to do their bit by visiting this thread from time to time, reading, searching and asking for information and, above all, leaving feedback. Experiences, suggestions and reporting of issues are particularly important. On the other hand, any form of  automatism is counterproductive and generally leads to inertia. :whistle: I'm not in the mood for that. :no:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

FYI, I have just fixed the sporadic loading errors of the filter list "Online Malicious URL Blocklist (AdGuard)" in uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.32. The fix will be provided with my next release.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 1/31/2024 at 1:09 AM, AstroSkipper said:

uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.32

Wow! Nice! Will there be a similar project for old Chromium browsers, like Opera 48 and the such?