Real-Mode DOS Windows Me - need help

inclusivetechworld

Hello everyone, it's so wonderful to see a community of Windows 9x fans as I have been one for years.

I am learning how to restore MS-DOS mode on Windows Me and I am planning to create a tutorial for it on my YouTube channel.

Here are the instructions I have given so far:

Before carrying out any steps in this process, I recommend creating a restore point

Open System Restore (in Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\System Tools).

Select ‘Create a restore point’, then click ‘Next’.

Type a name (such as ‘Before adding MS-DOS Mode’), then click ‘Next’.

Click ‘OK’ to exit System Restore.

The first step is adding the ability to access Real-Mode DOS

Firstly, you need to download the files that will help restore Real-Mode DOS in the form of a .zip file called ‘mfddme13.zip’ – you can download these from: https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/real_dos_mode_patch_for_me.html – extract the .zip file when necessary.

If you need to download a .iso file with these files (for example, if you’re using a virtual machine to insert the file), you can download it from:

In C: (open My Computer & double click on C:), create a folder called ‘mfddme13’ & move/extract these files there – there should be 4 files.

Copy & paste the following 3 files into the ‘mfddme13’ folder you’ve just created:

COMMAND.COM – from C:\WINDOWS

IO.SYS – from C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\EBD

REGENV32.EXE – from C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

Then, open MS-DOS Prompt in Start Menu\Programs\Accessories.

Switch to the ‘mfddme13’ folder by typing the following command: ‘ cd c:\mfddme13’.

Type the following command to make the files in this folder writable: ‘ ATTRIB -R -H -S *.* ‘.

Then, exit MS-DOS Prompt.

In the ‘mfddme13’ folder, open the file ‘WINMEDOS’ – an MS-DOS Prompt will come up – read it & make sure you have definitely followed all the instructions (which I have just mentioned above).

When you have made sure you have followed these instructions, press any key (except Esc) to start patching.

When the patch has been completed, press any key to quit the patch, then exit MS-DOS Prompt.

Copy & paste the following 3 files from the ‘mfddme13’ folder to their original folders:

Click ‘Yes’ to replace the files.

COMMAND.COM – to C:\WINDOWS & C:\

IO.SYS – to C:\

REGENV32.EXE – to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

Open My Computer, then C:\, then right click on the file ‘CONFIG.SYS’, click ‘Open With’, then click ‘Open With’ again, then select ‘Notepad’, then click ‘OK’.

Add the following line to the file: ‘ DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS ‘.

Click ‘File’, then ‘Save’, then exit Notepad.

Restart.

If, after restarting, it says ‘Starting Windows Millennium Emergency Boot...’, then MS-DOS Mode comes up with ‘C:\’, this process has been successful.

Now the boot process is like this, you have to type ‘win’, then wait to start Windows.

Make Windows boot by default

You don’t have to do this if you just want to start with MS-DOS mode by default, but I recommend carrying out this process to have the boot process like normal.

Open My Computer, then C:\.

At the top of File Explorer, click ‘Tools’, then ‘Folder Options’, then under ‘View’, click ‘Show hidden files and folders’ (under ‘Hidden files and folders), then untick ‘Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)’. Click ‘OK’.

Open Notepad (in Start Menu\Programs\Accessories).

Click ‘File’, then open C:\, then in ‘File name:’, type ‘AUTOEXEC.BAT’, then click ‘Open’.

At the bottom of the file, leave a line, then type ‘WIN’.

Click ‘File’, then ‘Save’, then exit Notepad.

At the top of File Explorer, click ‘Tools’, then ‘Folder Options’, then under ‘View’, click ‘Hide hidden files and folders’ (under ‘Hidden files and folders), then tick ‘Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)’. Click ‘OK’.

Restart.

Make sure it boots straight into Windows.

Unfortunately, you won’t see the Windows Me splash screen anymore, you will just see MS-DOS booting into Windows.

Now, if y

If you experience any problems until this point

Make sure ‘Restore my computer to an earlier time’ is selected, then click ‘Next’.

Select the name of the restore point you created before carrying out this process, then click ‘

(for example, ‘Before adding MS-DOS Mode’)

Click ‘OK’ on the message that appears, then click ‘Next’.

Wait for the restore to be carried out...

Wait for the restart...

After the restart, click ‘OK’ to return to the desktop.

Windows Me should return to how it was before you carried out the process.

Make sure your do NOT redo the restore operation as when you do, you will get a BSOD on boot (saying ‘The Microsoft Installable File System Manager cannot find the helper driver. Please ensure that IFSHLP.SYS has been installed. System halted.’) & you will have to reinstall Windows – to make sure of this:

Select ‘Create a restore point’, then click ‘Next’.

Type a name (such as ‘Do not undo’), then click ‘Next’.

Click ‘Home’ to go back to the start of System Restore.

Make sure ‘Restore my computer to an earlier time’ is selected, then click ‘Next’.

Select the name of the restore point you created before carrying out this process, then click ‘

(for example, ‘Before adding MS-DOS Mode’)

Click ‘OK’ on the message that appears, then click ‘Next’.

Wait for the restore to be carried out...

Wait for the restart...

After the restart, click ‘OK’ to return to the desktop.

Now, just in case you decide to select ‘Undo my last restoration’ in System Restore, you won’t run into this issue.

This process has gone successfully, the issue is:

-When I type 'win' into autoexec.bat, I can't access Real-Mode DOS or even get the boot menu for safe mode, dos mode etc by pressing F8 or shutting down incorrectly. Is there a command or shortcut I can type for this to shut down in MS-DOS mode?

-Is there any way I can add 'Restart in MS-DOS Mode' to the Shut Down menu?

-Is it possible to add the 'Advanced' options under 'Program' when right clicking & clicking 'Properties' on MS-DOS .exe files?

-Is it possible to add the splash screen back?

Thank you so much

InclusiveTechWorld

Edited by inclusivetechworld

1 minute ago, jaclaz said:

The one you described is one way.

There are others, you may want to experiment with them:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183753-windows-me-patch-for-dos-mode-is-incompatible-with-letter-assigner/?do=findComment&comment=1222058

jaclaz

Thank you for this, but I already have a way of restoring DOS mode. I'm just not sure about the other steps.

-When I type 'win' into autoexec.bat, I can't access Real-Mode DOS or even get the boot menu for safe mode, dos mode etc by pressing F8 or shutting down incorrectly. Is there a command or shortcut I can type for this to shut down in MS-DOS mode?

-Is there any way I can add 'Restart in MS-DOS Mode' to the Shut Down menu?

-Is it possible to add the 'Advanced' options under 'Program' when right clicking & clicking 'Properties' on MS-DOS .exe files?

-Is it possible to add the splash screen back?

It is possible jaclaz mentioned alternative methods, as there may be issues with the one you have chosen. jaclaz is experience and tends to use sound logic.

I myself do not know. I have not touched ME is many years. And I have never boot patched it.

You might want to examine (maybe re-examine?) the role of "msdos.sys" and "winboot.ini".

If "io.sys" is altered, the processing of the above mentioned files may be skipped altogether. If your boot keys "F5"/"F8" are ignored, it hints that this is likely the case. But if not, you have part of your answer there.

A person could add some intelligence to "autoexec.bat". Maybe a short count and execute menu, that if ignored defaults to "win.com". Just do some research on writing batch files.

I don't know if there is a Dos program for loading Microsoft logos. But you would need one to load and then unload, while the booting processed in the background.

If you learned a little reverse engineering, you could alter the boot process yourself. Then add to your video the directions for manually patching. Or write your own patching executable. If you have a command line hex editor, that can be batched, that might be an option. However, learning to modify by hex editing can easily become non trivial.

In case of need, besides the "without patch" one already linked to:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183753-windows-me-patch-for-dos-mode-is-incompatible-with-letter-assigner/?do=findComment&comment=1222058

MDGX has 4 patches listed (no idea what the differences are among them):

https://www.mdgx.com/dos.htm#ME

Maybe also this can be useful:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/140391-windows-98-live-cd-project-update/page/4/

leading to:

https://www.mdgx.com/newtip2.htm#EXIT

As said, sometimes instructions/info from MDGX are not (to me) very clear, so some experimenting will probably be needed.

About XMS/EMM386 (if needed) there is some new info here:

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183250-how-to-disable-the-built-in-xms-driver-in-windows-mes-iosys/

jaclaz