Mypal 68 in Windows XP - Custom Buttons and Extensions

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

I don't see it that way, it says in their name, "web" extensions. You can't expect "web" extension to change the "browser" since they naturally target mostly (with some exceptions) web pages. :P

Compared to legacy extensions I unfortunately do. Legacy extensions are able to change the browser interface and web pages. The so called "web" extensions are not. smilie-denk-24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 11/15/2023 at 9:27 PM, a8s said:

Hello to all MyPal users,

I want to upgrade my MyPal 68.13.3b version to a newer one, but it seems some addons aren't working in newer versions.

Some Addons which worked in 68.13.3b but not in the newer 4b and 5b:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/cookie-quick-manager/

Hello @a8s! Cookie Quick Manager 0.5rc2 (and probably most of the others as well) works in Mypal 68.13.5b. No problems here. Maybe, your profile or your Mypal installation is corrupt or misconfigured. First, you should create a fresh profile and try to install the extensions again. If this doesn't help, you can perform a fresh installation of Mypal 68.13.5b. Here is a proof in the form of a screenshot:

Mypal-68-13-5-Cookie-Quick-Manager.png

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 11/13/2023 at 5:04 PM, VistaLover said:

Greetings :P; IMHO, it'd have been a service to this community if you had actually named that "streaming service" for which Mypal68 doesn't work, because you would've saved some other MSFN members the "hassle" you yourself went into ;) ...

According to my own investigations, the more prevalent audio streaming services (Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal, Amazon Music) use in-browser DRM (largely Google's :realmad: WidevineCDM), with the notable exceptions of Youtube Music and deezer (those two use different methods for protecting their audio streams :whistle:) ; I'm not very familiar with the codebase of Mypal68, but AFAIAA it doesn't support DRM; even if it did inherit the DRM support extant inside Mozilla Firefox 68, its initial fork point, the Widevine version supported by Fx68 has been long deprecated/blacklisted by Google and their WV licence servers - besides, Google make sure their blackboxed Widevine DLL only runs on Win7 SP1+; and even Win7 is going to be deprecated by Widevine, once Fx115esr reaches its EoS :( ...

As for AstroSkipper :), I'm absolutely confident he double- and triple-checked those links at the time his post went live, because that's how much meticulous he is on such matters :thumbup - it would be unrealistic to expect of him to (occasionally) check the validity of the links post-submission and, indeed, the fact they were removed by Mypal68's author soon after was quite unexpected, TBH :dubbio:...

Greeting top you, too! The service is not big, it's local. My profile is under constant and personal surveillance by the supervisor Tripredacus. I asked what could have triggered his attention many times. I asked the supervisor what post, word, text was not to his taste, yet he didn't point out to such. As he couldn't give me a clear answer, I'll not attach links to commercial sources, if you're not satisfied with my answer, please contact the supervisor Tripredacus and redirect the question there. 

Here are two screenshots to show where and by what means modifications have been done to the user interface of Mypal 68.13.5b:

Mypal-68-user-interface-redesign-2-marke

Mypal-68-user-interface-redesign-3-marke

The colours of the areas mean how the modification was made. Red stands for CSS only, blue for JavaScript only, and green for both, JavaScript + CSS.

Cheers, AstroSkipper starescreen.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

In Firefox 4, the status bar was replaced with the add-on bar, an empty, but customizable, toolbar. In Firefox 29, Mozilla decided to rework the UI again, and ended up in removing the add-on bar as well. From Firefox 29 to 56, the add-on bar could be restored by the extensions Status-4-Evar or Classic Theme Restorer. Mypal 68 is based on the code of Firefox 68esr, called Firefox Quantum, where no add-on bar can be found or natively be enabled by the user. Therefore, I have been looking for ways to reimplement such a status or add-on bar in Mypal 68 with the functionality to display currently loading URLs and hovered links and to place toolbar buttons there. I finally managed to do this and now I have my status bar again like in the old days. :cheerleader: The implementation was done by JavaScript and CSS. Here is a screenshot:

Mypal-68-user-interface-redesign-New-sta

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 11/4/2023 at 11:11 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Here is a screenshot showing Mypal 68 with the tab bar below the navigation and bookmarks bar:

What is the easiest way to make the tab bar below the navigation and bookmar bar?
Would you have a detailed description?

And can you tell me what I have to set so that it searches for the search term directly in the address bar without me having to click on the icon of a search engine?

4 hours ago, Anbima said:

What is the easiest way to make the tab bar below the navigation and bookmar bar?
Would you have a detailed description?

I believe that's already been asked and answered here  --  https://msfn.org/board/topic/183657-mypal-68-in-windows-xp-custom-buttons-and-extensions/?do=findComment&comment=1226364

1 hour ago, Anbima said:

Thanks, but the distances do not fit here.

Use custom CSS stylesheets from CustomCSSforFx to move the tab bar below the navigation and bookmarks bar! Look at my pictures, and you will see the distances fit perfectly. :P The custom CSS stylesheet I am using is originally from CustomCSSforFx but it has been modified by me and can't be directly used elsewhere due to special variables and changes. Thus, I won't provide it. But the original CSS stylesheet of course works as it is. :yes: And if you don't like a separate search bar, you can move the search function to the address bar. This can even be done natively in Mypal 68's settings, or you change more by using a script or another custom CSS stylesheet.

BTW, didn't you actually want to create a German language pack for Mypal 68.13.x? Already published? :dubbio:

On 9/20/2023 at 11:43 AM, Anbima said:

I make a german language pack and this should be for the new version.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Use custom CSS stylesheets from CustomCSSforFx to move the tab bar below the navigation and bookmarks bar! Look at my pictures, and you will see the distances fit perfectly. :P The custom CSS stylesheet I am using is originally from CustomCSSforFx

What kind of CSS did you use from CustomCSSforFx?
You probably didn't include the complete package, did you?

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

BTW, didn't you actually want to create a German language pack for Mypal 68.13.x? Already published? :dubbio:

On 9/20/2023 at 10:43 AM, Anbima said:

Is mostly finished.
It is not for public as I have not changed the name from Firefox to Mypal.

Edited by Anbima

5 hours ago, Anbima said:

What kind of CSS did you use from CustomCSSforFx? You probably didn't include the complete package, did you?

The stylesheets are not intended to be installed completely. You choose what you want to change and what you like. I only use a very few of them. Custom CSS stylesheets must be permanently adapted to new Firefox versions. Stylesheets that worked in a previous version do not necessarily have to work in the subsequent version. Mypal 68 is based on Firefox 68.12.0esr from August 2020. The regular Firefox 68 version (not esr) was released in July 2019. Thus, you have to look mainly for custom CSS stylesheets published from July 2019 to August 2020. Search for tabs_below_navigation_toolbar_fx68.css which depends on tabs_below_navigation_toolbar_fx65.css which in turn depends on tabs_below_navigation_toolbar.css! That means you have to copy all three files into your profile subfolder chrome\CSS and import the tabs_below_navigation_toolbar_fx68.css file only in your userChrome.css file via the following command: @import "./css/tabs_below_navigation_toolbar_fx68.css";
The good is that once you found working stylesheets they will work in Mypal 68 probably forever. :P

5 hours ago, Anbima said:
9 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Is mostly finished.
It is not for public as I have not changed the name from Firefox to Mypal.

Replace the string Firefox by the string Mypal in all files using the "replace all"-function of an editor as, for example, Notepad++! This is very easy and can be done in minutes. In any case, your compatriots would surely appreciate a working German language pack for Mypal 68.13.x. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

After a long while, I successfully "installed" CustomCSSforFx (https://github.com/Aris-t2/CustomCSSforFx).  This was covered in passing by @AstroSkipper, but I was lost implementing it (as many reading this thread, I reckon). Below a short how-to summary.

First, download and follow the instructions in the first post (https://www.mediafire.com/file/m84enyyuz7up01y/Mypal_68_CB_requirements.7z/file). This will set up the basics. MAKE SURE TO RENAME userChrome.css to my_userChrome.css.

Second, download and paste the latest version of CustomCSSforFx into the Chrome folder in yout Mypal profile. All of it: you can later on delete the css files and images you don't need, once you played with the different settings, as described below.

Third, open userChrome.css and userContent.css in your preferred text editor. In those files, play around commenting and uncommenting the @import "./css/WHATEVERYOUWANTTOTRY, by adding or deleting /* at the beginning of each @import. You'll have to run mypal after every change(s) you make.

For instance, in userContent.css I uncomment @import "./css/aboutaddons/recentupdates_category_always_visible.css"; /**/ and
@import "./css/aboutaddons/availableupdates_category_always_visible.css"; /**/ (to comment out add /* before each @import you don't want to use; to uncomment, delete said /*).

Idem in userChrome.css. For instance, I uncomment @import "./css/tabs/tabs_below_main_content.css"; /**/ and comment out all the others I don't want to use, yet.

In userContent.css, change and uncomment the last  line @import "./my_userContent.css"; /**/ to @import "./my_userChrome.css"; /**/ (see first step).  This will load @AstroSkipper's custom buttons, such as the one below. That's it.

Edited by dmiranda

9 hours ago, dmiranda said:

In userContent.css, change and uncomment the last  line @import "./my_userContent.css"; /**/ to @import "./my_userChrome.css"; /**/ (see first step).  This will load @AstroSkipper's custom buttons, such as the one below. That's it.

Hello @dmiranda! aboutbutton.uc.js is a JavaScript script file and does not need an entry in the userContent.css file. :no: It has only to be copied to the chrome folder and will be recognized automatically after clearing the startup cache and restarting Mypal 68, only if all has been configured correctly (see first post of this thread), of course. :P It comes originally with an additional aboutbutton.css file to change the appearance of the button and its menu which has to be copied to the chrome\CSS subfolder and imported into the userChrome.css file. However, I had to fix this aboutbutton.css file as it didn't work correctly in Mypal 68.
Anyway! The userContent.css file is for changing directly websites or internal sites like the about:sites. But for the custom button aboutbutton, no entries are necessary in the userContent.css file. :no:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

As of now I'm running 3 of your custom buttons (copied as instructed in the profile/chrome folder), TOGETHER with CustomCSSforFx 4.4.7.  They are recognized by your userChrome.css, which I rename my_userChrome.css, and @imported into CustomCSSforFx's own userChrome.css

In that manner, I have your buttons AND CustomCSSforFx to play around. Quite cool, actually and (still playing) . 

The first pic shows the content of the chrome subfolder: your config folder, the uc buttons, the userchome.xml and the empty css folder from your "requirements". The image folder, the contents of the css folder, userChrome.css and  USERChrome.js are from CustomCSSforFx (replacing yours). Your userChorme.css (the one enabling your buttons) I rename my_userChorme.css, and @impoted it into CustomCSSforFx's userContent.css.

Give or take required css tweaks to get (eventually) things aligned the way I want to, this is the best of both worlds.

Cheers to you for leading the way, and to @roytam1 for pointing us in the direction of  CustomCSSforFx

Noname.png

18 minutes ago, dmiranda said:

Cheers to you for leading the way, and to @roytam1 for pointing us in the direction of  CustomCSSforFx

You're welcome! :)

20 minutes ago, dmiranda said:

TOGETHER with CustomCSSforFx 4.4.7

12 hours ago, dmiranda said:

Second, download and paste the latest version of CustomCSSforFx into the Chrome folder in yout Mypal profile.

As I already mentioned, the most recent versions of CustomCSSforFx will contain CSS code targeting the much more recent Firefox versions. That's why I pick only single CSS stylesheets, test them in terms of compatibility and implement them if needed or wanted. The time range for picking them is from July 2019 to August 2020 as I already wrote in a previous post. Maybe, some of the CSS files from more recent CustomCSSforFx versions will also work in Mypal 68 but surely less than in the versions that have been specially adapted for Firefox 68. Apart from that, I prefer those CSS stylesheets that do not contain unnecessary code for versions of Firefox 69 and higher.