Mypal 68 in Windows XP - Custom Buttons and Extensions

Hi, everything works with ublock origin. The problem in my windows. Now have another problem. I try to make portable version, but dont know how to keep settings in. Please help.

Edited by dimo70

11 minutes ago, dimo70 said:

Hi, everything works with ublock origin. The problem in my windows. Now have another problem. I try to make portable version, but dont know how to keep settings in. Please help.

Mypal 68 is not a fully portable browser. It writes additionally entries in the registry, needs files in the folder c:\Documents and Settings\YourUsername\Application Data\Mypal68 to find its profiles and uses of course profile folders where ever you created them. To make this browser fully portable you have to make a research in the internet. There are many sites which provide detailed instructions or tutorials for creating fully portable applications.

• 1 month later...

Update notification! update.gif

@feodor2 released a new version of his browser yesterday, Mypal 68.13.2b.

Release notes:

Continue checking BSOD #3
Fixed some crashes (#205)
Else minor things.

Download: https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/releases/download/68.13.2b/mypal-68.13.2.en-US.win32.zip

If anything related to extensions or custom buttons has changed, I will report here.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

I noticed a new issue just yesterday.

I run the add on "New Tab Tools", and as of yesterday, all of the tiles have disappeared.  I tried doing some background image customization, yet nothing would take.

I removed the add on, and installed a previously supported version (I stuck with v90).  It installs, but this error comes up on a "new tab" page:

New Tab Tools couldn't start properly. Try these:

If cookies are disabled, add an exception for moz-extension://be8bed7c-155b-46a3-8bdd-15e1205e34fc/.
    Go to about:config and check dom.indexedDB.enabled is set to true.

You will need to restart New Tab Tools (or just restart Firefox) for these changes to have an effect.
New Tab Tools cannot start if Firefox is set to "never remember history" or "always open in private browsing mode".

I added the boolean pref and set ti to "true", but I still get the error.  Hmmmm.

Well if anyone has any ideas as to what may have happened, I'm all ears.  Thanks.

Hello @Jody Thornton! I have just checked the extension New Tab Tools in my testing profile of Mypal 68.13.2b. As far as I can see, the version 90.3 runs fine there. Here is a screenshot:

Mypal-68-New-Tab-Tools.png

Maybe, you simply try New Tab Tools in the version 90.3. TBH, I never used this extension before. And some extensions still have some problems with Mypal 68. In some cases, I could observe that an installed extension had simply disappeared, although it was compatible and worked properly. I think Mypal 68 is not yet fully developed as far as extensions are concerned. For example, the automatic update of extensions does not work yet either.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

• 4 weeks later...

Hello @feodor2

Hope you are doing well. :yes: Furthermore, thank you very much for your new release Mypal 68.13.3b:)
I read your release notes, especially:

Changed extensions things, how they look too

You know I created this thread to post here all related to extensions and custom buttons targeting Mypal 68. You wrote you "changed extension things". Therefore, I tested your new release in terms of extensions. I made a new, clean install, created a fresh profile, configured it in single-process mode, and installed only two extensions, Cookie Quick Manager 0.5rc2 and uBlock Origin 1.52.2. Here is a screenshot:

Mypal-68-13-3-about-addons.png

Now, I clicked onto the entry of uBlock Origin to see more information. Here is a screenshot:

Mypal-68-13-3-about-addons-2.png

So far, everything is normal as usual. Next, I went back to the extensions overview. No problem. But then, when clicking onto uBlock Origin again, the page became empty. Here is a screenshot of this issue:

Mypal-68-13-3-about-addons-3.png

You see there is a problem. The detailed information about uBlock Origin can't be shown again. :no: Same issue when clicking onto Cookie Quick Manager. A temporary fix is to refresh the page. Every time, an empty page is displayed, which is the rule after a click onto an extension, a refresh must be carried out to see the information related to an extension again. BTW, same issue when using Mypal 68.13.3b in multiprocess mode. This issue didn't happen in the previous release Mypal 68.13.2.b, though. :no: Therefore, it is a brand new issue, presumably caused by the recent changes in Mypal 68.13.3b. Hope, you are able to reproduce and to solve it. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

@feodor2

I am in the process of testing the offered features related to extensions in your new release
Mypal 68.13.3b. The entry "Check For Updates" in the "More Information" page of an extension does not do anything. Same when clicking onto the entry "Find Updates" of the extension's context menu. Is it not yet active? Will it be restored in one of the next releases? :dubbio: Furthermore, I noticed on the page "Manage Your Extensions" that entries of the menu "Tools for all add-ons" have been removed. Here is a screenshot taken from the previous version Mypal 68.13.2b:

Mypal-68-13-2-about-addons.png

And here is a screenshot taken from
Mypal 68.13.3b:

Mypal-68-13-3-about-addons-4.png

In this menu, all entries regarding the updating of extensions are missing, and the menu seems rather broken. Is this how you wanted it? :dubbio: I do not hope so. :no: Until now, one always had to manually check for updates on the Firefox Addons website. A manual and automatic update check in Mypal 68 would be desirable and useful. :thumbup Will these functions be restored in one of the next releases? :dubbio: TBH, I have been waiting for this for soooooo long. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 10/8/2023 at 1:07 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Hello @feodor2

Hope you are doing well. :yes: Furthermore, thank you very much for your new release Mypal 68.13.3b:)

You know I created this thread to post here all related to extensions and custom buttons targeting Mypal 68. You wrote you "changed extension things". Therefore, I tested your new release in terms of extensions. I made a new, clean install, created a fresh profile, configured it in single-process mode, and installed only two extensions, Cookie Quick Manager 0.5rc2 and uBlock Origin 1.52.2. Here is a screenshot:

Now, I clicked onto the entry of uBlock Origin to see more information. Here is a screenshot:

So far, everything is normal as usual. Next, I went back to the extensions overview. No problem. But then, when clicking onto uBlock Origin again, the page became empty. Here is a screenshot of this issue:

You see there is a problem. The detailed information about uBlock Origin can't be shown again. :no: Same issue when clicking onto Cookie Quick Manager. A temporary fix is to refresh the page. Every time, an empty page is displayed, which is the rule after a single success, a refresh must be carried out to see the information related to an extension again. BTW, same issue when using Mypal 68.13.3b in multiprocess mode. This issue didn't happen in the previous release Mypal 68.13.2.b, though. :no: Therefore, it is a brand new issue, presumably caused by the recent changes in Mypal 68.13.3b. Hope, you are able to reproduce and to solve it. :)

Additionally, I reported this problem to Mypal68's issues on GitHub. Here is the link: 
https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/issues/286

On 10/8/2023 at 3:18 PM, AstroSkipper said:

@feodor2

I am in the process of testing the offered features related to extensions in your new release
Mypal 68.13.3b. The entry "Check For Updates" in the "More Information" page of an extension does not do anything. Same when clicking onto the entry "Find Updates" of the extension's context menu. Is it not yet active? Will it be restored in one of the next releases? :dubbio: Furthermore, I noticed on the page "Manage Your Extensions" that entries of the menu "Tools for all add-ons" have been removed. Here is a screenshot taken from the previous version Mypal 68.13.2b:

Mypal-68-13-2-about-addons.png

And here is a screenshot taken from
Mypal 68.13.3b:

Mypal-68-13-3-about-addons-4.png

In this menu, all entries regarding the updating of extensions are missing, and the menu seems rather broken. Is this how you wanted it? :dubbio: I do not hope so. :no: Until now, one always had to manually check for updates on the Firefox Addons website. A manual and automatic update check in Mypal 68 would be desirable and useful. :thumbup Will these functions be restored in one of the next releases? :dubbio: TBH, I have been waiting for this for soooooo long. :P

The problems from the quoted post, I also reported to Mypal68's issues on GitHub. Here is the link:
https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/issues/287

On 10/8/2023 at 1:07 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Hello @feodor2

You see there is a problem. The detailed information about uBlock Origin can't be shown again. :no: Same issue when clicking onto Cookie Quick Manager. A temporary fix is to refresh the page. Every time, an empty page is displayed, which is the rule after a click onto an extension, a refresh must be carried out to see the information related to an extension again. BTW, same issue when using Mypal 68.13.3b in multiprocess mode. This issue didn't happen in the previous release Mypal 68.13.2.b, though. :no: Therefore, it is a brand new issue, presumably caused by the recent changes in Mypal 68.13.3b. Hope, you are able to reproduce and to solve it. :)

The issue I quoted in this post has been solved very quickly. A fix uploaded by @feodor2 can be downloaded from Mypal's issue #286 I already closed as completed.

Restoring the manual and automatic update function for extensions in Mypal 68.13.3b

1. Replace the file omni.ja in the main programme folder of Mypal 68.13.3b by the fixed one, uploaded by @feodor2, from here: https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/issues/286#issuecomment-1753451203
  2. Check if the value of the pref extensions.htmlaboutaddons.enabled is false.
  3. Set the pref extensions.update.enabled to the value true.
  4. Set the pref extensions.update.url to the value https://versioncheck.addons.mozilla.org/update/VersionCheck.php?reqVersion=%REQ_VERSION%&id=%ITEM_ID%&version=%ITEM_VERSION%&maxAppVersion=%ITEM_MAXAPPVERSION%&status=%ITEM_STATUS%&appID=%APP_ID%&appVersion=%APP_VERSION%&appOS=%APP_OS%&appABI=%APP_ABI%&locale=%APP_LOCALE%&currentAppVersion=%CURRENT_APP_VERSION%&updateType=%UPDATE_TYPE%&compatMode=%COMPATIBILITY_MODE%
  5. Set the pref extensions.update.background.url to the value https://versioncheck-bg.addons.mozilla.org/update/VersionCheck.php?reqVersion=%REQ_VERSION%&id=%ITEM_ID%&version=%ITEM_VERSION%&maxAppVersion=%ITEM_MAXAPPVERSION%&status=%ITEM_STATUS%&appID=%APP_ID%&appVersion=%APP_VERSION%&appOS=%APP_OS%&appABI=%APP_ABI%&locale=%APP_LOCALE%&currentAppVersion=%CURRENT_APP_VERSION%&updateType=%UPDATE_TYPE%&compatMode=%COMPATIBILITY_MODE%
  6. Clear the cache and restart the browser.

Now, the update function should work finally again after this long time. :cheerleader: If there is more to fix, we will see after further testing. In any case, with the settings I listed above, I had the first successes in updating two extensions, Clear Cache from version 3.1 to 3.2 and Simple Translate from version 2.8.0 to 2.8.2. :thumbup Here are some screenshots to document the restored updating in Mypal 68.13.3b in single-process mode:

Before updating the extensions:

Mypal-68-13-3-about-addons-before-updati

Mypal-68-13-3-about-addons-before-updati

While updating the extensions:

Mypal-68-13-3-about-addons-while-updatin

After updating the extensions:

Mypal-68-13-3-about-addons-after-updatin

At the moment, uBlock Origin can't be updated this way. You have to do that manually as usual. This issue is described more detailed in Mypal's issue #287 here: https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/issues/287#issuecomment-1755185457

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

FYI, I opened a new issue on Mypal 68's GitHub page. It is the issue #296 with the title Errors and problems when installing and updating extensions in Mypal 68. As the title already says, I will post there all errors and problems that come to my attention when installing and updating extensions in Mypal 68. By doing so, I hope that @feodor2 will be able to fix the currently existing errors and bugs related to extensions more easily and in a more targeted way. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

• 2 weeks later...

Managing search engines in Mypal 68

Mypal 68 comes with a few search engines pre-installed by @feodor2. In his latest release 68.13.4b, the search engine Qwant is set as default. Other available search engines are Brave, Mojeek and Startpage. Many, however, will not like this. I personally don't like Qwant and miss my favourite search engines. There is now an extra thread in Mypal 68's issues in which the current situation of the provided search engines is controversially discussed. Have a look here: https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/issues/295
To be honest, I think such a discussion is completely superfluous and does not lead anywhere. smilie-denk-17.gif Why? It is quite simple. Everyone has their own preferences or needs and can easily determine for themselves which search engines should or should not be available. The first measure is to remove all those that are not desired. Next, one can embed new search engines in Mypal 68 in different ways. This can be done, for example, by visiting providers who make a search engine available via OpenSearch on their website which can be installed by the user with a simple click in the search bar. Or, one visits the website Mycroft Project which is a collection of over 27 thousand OpenSearch & Sherlock Search Engine Plugins, especially for Firefox-based browsers. It is a perfect service to add search engines to supported browsers in a very simple way. The Mycroft Project provides many search engine plugins created by Mycroft itself and additionally such plugins which were contributed and provided there by users. I did the same and created my own, custom search engine plugins for MSFN long time ago which I have recently corrected due to problems in converting spaces in the search string and therefore updated. More about that, you will find here:

These search engine plugins work without any problems in Mypal 68. :yes: Furthermore, custom search engines can be modified or created and added by extensions which I will present in my next posts.

Edited by AstroSkipper