Compiling ACPI v2.0 driver for Windows XP SP3 and Windows 2003 SP2 (x32/x64)

Mov AX, 0xDEAD

On 11/21/2023 at 1:13 AM, Damnation said:

@gordo999

Regarding your Windows 7 not working with USB, are you using x86 or x64 Windows 7?

Did some reading on this last night and an issue is the way W7 processes INF files compared to XP. W7 has a means of reading an INF file and storing it in the DriverStore\File Repository folder of C:\Windows\system 32. If it cannot detect a device plugged into a USB port, or it cannot find the proper driver(s), it simply stores the INF info in that folder and offers an error for no driver. Not sure what it does if there is no device attached to a USB port.

Another issue is that older device installations may be interfering and I need to look more closely at my installation since it originated with an Asus B360M and is now dealing with an Asus B760M. When I try to get XP running, that may be even more of a problem.

There is a way to clean old drivers out of the system by looking them up in the PnpLockdownFiles registry hive and see where the INF file is stored with the drivers. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2023 at 9:29 AM, Dietmar said:

@gordo999

Hi, I just install XP SP3 to the same Asus B760M-A D4 board.

All works, only no lan driver for the Realtek 8125 2.5Gb, because it is ndis6.

@Dietmar...I have W7 running with Nvidia GTX 1630 and the Realtek LAN works fine. Also, my Soundblaster Audigy RX works fine. I had to do a repair install, which wiped out all  information about my apps in Program Files, Program Files (x86). and Program Data, also all files in the Users folder. I managed to rebuild them using the Windows.old directory but it was a major undertaking.

I would like to start working on XP and would appreciate a few hints on the files you used to get yours running.

Edited by gordo999

On 11/22/2023 at 2:11 AM, Damnation said:

@gordo999

When you loaded the XHCI controller driver did it at least prompt you to install the USB 3.0 hub driver?

If not, then we'll need to debug but, If it did then it should just be a matter of loading the hub driver and then USB 3.0 should work.

@Damnation...there was a problem with my overall installation, I did a repair install and had to rebuild my disk from the Windows.old folder. Got USB running after the repair install using a driver modded by @canonkong.

16 hours ago, Damnation said:

@gordo999

Cool.

@Damnation...not 100% cool. In my rush to install the drivers I forgot there is an order to install them. There is a driver called iusb3hcs. sys, a switch driver, that maybe I should have installed first. It tries to install a PCI driver and it is listed under System Devices in Device Manager as a PCI driver that is listed as Code 31 ...stating Windows cannot load the driver.

Not sure what the switch driver does but I gather it has something to do with switching USB 3 high speed drivers. Just occurred to me that W10 also has a high-speed driver written by Asmedia. I don't have that loaded yet and maybe that's why the USB switch has an error 31. I don't need USB 3 yet and my other USB connections seem to be fine. I'll see if Asmedia makes a W7 driver and if not, I may have to fix one.

Going to start on XP soon. @Dietmar has it running on the same board. It is amazing how  well W7 runs on this board and I expect XP will be similar.

On 11/19/2023 at 9:26 AM, Dibya said:

NDIS 6 will need serious overhaul, you will need MSI/MSI-X interrupt features which PCI.sys of XP doesn't understand

@Dibya...sorry I missed your reply earlier. I never did get the LAN working on my XP install on the B360M. Don't really need it since I use XP mainly offline. I want to use the method of @Mov AX, 0xDEAD to do a kernel debug from a remote computer to see what is going on. I have done a lot of reversing in the past on Woodmann's forum (RCE)  that no longer exists but I need a kernel debugger operating so I can hopefully trace into kernel function. With the old softice it was quite easy.

Right now, I just need a version of acpi.sys that will work on the B760M. And maybe the SATA driver. @Dietmar has XP running already on the B760M.

On 4/6/2023 at 1:46 AM, Dietmar said:

@d0minat0r

Here is last acpi.sys for XP SP2 bit 64

good luck

Dietmar

https://ufile.io/t11kewkd

@Dietmar...ufile is playing games with people, claiming they have archived the file and only paying members can have access. When trying to access the link you posted above I get this error...'To download this file you must first subscribe to a paid plan'. It's not worth dealing with scam artists like ufile.

Hi @Dietmar I have tested on my machines PPM and HAL patches for XP 5.1 and 5.2 x64, my testing machine works very well with them. When I'm not use them I receive random freezes on applications. For example Snappy Driver Installer. I think your PPM patch works as expected for 5.2 x86. But I don't have HAL patch. Thats currectly missing piece in my puzzles. Cna you please try to install on your machine Server 2003 and find correct HAL patch? Your timer patches for x64 HAL and PPM works well.

For example when I use your PPM patch for 5.1 I need to use PAE patch otherwise nothing changes. (Doesn't matter if use 4GB or 128GB it must contain some HAL timer patch too)

Edited by George King

@George King

Please send me the hal.dll from x86 Win Server, that you want to be patched.

The intelppm.sys, that I send to ramsey works always, independend if you use PAE or not.

I found therin a second place, where it has to be patched for to put all the power saving states to D1

Dietmar

On 1/3/2024 at 12:34 AM, Dietmar said:

@George King

The intelppm.sys, that I send to ramsey works always, independend if you use PAE or not.

@Dietmar...I am way out of touch with XP. Is there a repository or is it verboten to bring that up here? I have a lot of the modded XP files and may even have some on my XP version that runs with the B360M. @George King has posted some but they are for @Mov AX, 0xDEAD ntoskrrnl setup which I have yet to implement. Guess the best thing is to load the ACPI.sys you sent with a SATA driver, and see where I'm at.

On 1/3/2024 at 9:34 AM, Dietmar said:

@George King

Please send me the hal.dll from x86 Win Server, that you want to be patched.

I found therin a second place, where it has to be patched for to put all the power saving states to D1

Dietmar

Hi @Dietmar

here is halmacpi.dll from 2003 x86.

https://file.io/UwwY04hoZIj2