Support for Chromium "Session" Inside Gecko Browser

Jody Thornton

This idea comes from the Pale Moon reddit, but I think it might be a clever idea, especially for those that choose forked browsers for UI customization above all else:

https://www.reddit.com/r/palemoon/comments/tde75d/palemoon_outside_chrome_inside_is_it_possible/

Think of it like IE-Tab for Chromium. It could be in the form of an extension, or a a shell for WebKit/Blink. Best to read what's there.  The idea is that as Pale Moon and other forks become less compatible with the modern web, one could run a Chromium session inisde the tab of a Gecko browser.

Could such a thing work?

They say something along the lines that anything's possible in the software world if there's interest and money.

BTW, @Jody Thornton, there's supposed to be some CSS trickery in Vivaldi to get tabs below address bar. I only tried it briefly a number of versions ago. There could be side-effects that may or may not bothersome, depends on how you use it.

At least that's what I picked up when I searched about it recently and found a relevant thread on their forum.

Edited by UCyborg

16 hours ago, UCyborg said:

They say something along the lines that anything's possible in the software world if there's interest and money.

BTW, @Jody Thornton, there's supposed to be some CSS trickery in Vivaldi to get tabs below address bar. I only tried it briefly a number of versions ago. There could be side-effects that may or may not bothersome, depends on how you use it.

At least that's what I picked up when I searched about it recently and found a relevant thread on their forum.

The problem is though that the trickery is rendered useless upon every Vivaldi update.  Then you have figure out new CSS code to rearrange tabs all over again. :(

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2022 at 6:48 PM, Jody Thornton said:

...might be a clever idea, especially for those that choose forked browsers for UI customization above all else...

I'd like to see something like this as well.. I hate the fact that every browser is trying to become Chrome, but unless some major player in the "industry" bucks against it, it will continue no matter what any individual user likes or dislikes. I'm no programmer, but I just can't imagine it is really that hard to produce a sane UI for a program.

Worth mentioning, this Chrome derivative does seem to have some very small measure of UI customization support.. :unsure:

Hmmm ... I used to use QupZilla back in 'the day' but I see this new browser is only for win 7 and up according to Softpedia.

Previously known as QupZilla, Falkon is a free and open-source project, based on the QtWebEngine. QtWebEngine implements some of Chromium's API into Qt, leaving aside unnecessary parts like the auxiliary services which communicate with Google.

From softpedia:

"some of Chromium's API" - "leaving aside unnecessary parts like the auxiliary services which communicate with Google"

?

didn't this already exist way back since ~2008 ?
you had browsers that supported IE, FF and Chrome in its tabs
user would choose which engine to load for the specific tab and reload the page

The last I see:

Development in the tri-core Avant browser ended in 2020 :(

News

Avant Browser 2020 build 3 Released 3.17.2020

Have used that one in ages, but if I recall, it used the native IE version you already have installed and the FF and Chrome were way outdated even back then.

Edited by XPerceniol