Microsoft Windows Update v3/v4/v5

On 7/31/2023 at 5:39 PM, MrMateczko said:

Most of Win9x updates are not multilingual, only some of them are, depending on the DLL being patched, like KERNEL32.DLL.

Yes, you can install English updates on local versions of Windows 9x.  But this topic requires original files.  And it was fine with full names, with tails... (unintelligible hashes).

Topic: "Microsoft Windows Update Restored"

Edited by Swarc

I have good and bad news, I have managed to "initialize" the Critical Update Notification (CUN) 4.0 for Windows 98 and the Automatic Updates for Windows Me, editing the libraries to redirect them to the Windows Update Restored domains. The bad thing is that nothing happens afterwards, besides that I can't find the respective log of these services. Maybe it's the iudent.cab check or cyclic redundancy.

Anyway, it's amazing to see these wonders working. To use CUN run WUCrtUpd.exe in C:\System. For Automatic Updates, type in the console "wuauboot -aumagic". For this it is necessary to install the respective update in WURv4.

5 hours ago, WinFX said:

I have good and bad news, I have managed to "initialize" the Critical Update Notification (CUN) 4.0 for Windows 98 and the Automatic Updates for Windows Me, editing the libraries to redirect them to the Windows Update Restored domains. The bad thing is that nothing happens afterwards, besides that I can't find the respective log of these services. Maybe it's the iudent.cab check or cyclic redundancy.

Anyway, it's amazing to see these wonders working. To use CUN run WUCrtUpd.exe in C:\System. For Automatic Updates, type in the console "wuauboot -aumagic". For this it is necessary to install the respective update in WURv4.

Nice work!

A few years after they've taken the v3 and v4 update websites down, I thought of using the Critical Update Notification Utility to fetch the updates of the 9x family from the servers of MSFT directly without accessing the websites but in vain.

1 hour ago, hydrofoil said:

Nice work!

A few years after they've taken the v3 and v4 update websites down, I thought of using the Critical Update Notification Utility to fetch the updates of the 9x family from the servers of MSFT directly without accessing the websites but in vain.

A lot of crucial information has been left out by the Windows Update Restored team. I'm on Win 98 SE on IE6 (updated fully) and I just started wanting to go to the v3 or v4 websites but I cannot. What are the operating system update requirements needed, if any? Will TLS 1.0 or SSL 2.0 / 3.0 need to be enabled in any way? Is the v3 site down this evening?

7 hours ago, hydrofoil said:

Nice work!

Hello! Just a quick question: are you the guy who uploaded videos of Windows Update v3.1 and v4 in 2019? HFL 929?

6 hours ago, mwmillennium said:

A lot of crucial information has been left out by the Windows Update Restored team. I'm on Win 98 SE on IE6 (updated fully) and I just started wanting to go to the v3 or v4 websites but I cannot. What are the operating system update requirements needed, if any? Will TLS 1.0 or SSL 2.0 / 3.0 need to be enabled in any way? Is the v3 site down this evening?

Hello! What is the issue you're running in?