ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use

AstroSkipper

On 3/21/2023 at 1:21 PM, AstroSkipper said:

As promised above, I uploaded the program CAupdater 1.0.0.1 created by @Thomas S.. It is the original archive file without any modifications and an alternative to @heinoganda's Certificate Updater. This archive can be extracted to any desired location as CAupdater is a portable application. Here is the download link: 
https://www.mediafire.com/file/z34fifg2a09fzxo/CAupdater.7z/file link.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Here is a screenshot taken from CAupdater after successfully updating the root certificates:

CAupdater-en.png

• 3 weeks later...

2 hours ago, legacyfan said:

I have a project ive been working on that ive been collecting updates for and the next updates I need are the root certificate updates for windows xp if anyone knows where I can find these it would be much appreciated

@legacyfan! Have a look here:

Old, offline Root Certificate Updater, all created by myself, you will find here in the section 11.1. Archived Downloads {obsolete}:

In this main article, you will also find recent, online and offline Root Certificate Updater in the section 11.2.4. Downloads related to Root Certificate Updates. albert.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

• 2 weeks later...

FYI

10 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Just for clarification! To get information about our TLS proxies does not necessarily mean to read the whole article "ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use". This article is well-structured, comprehensive and up-to-date. It contains all about our TLS proxies and certificates, especially targeting Windows XP. You won't find anything comparable. A lot of my sections can be read separately. And as I already mentioned, browsers have a site search function. And anyone can actually use it these days. Right? 
google-1.gif buttonsearch.gif

And that means information about our TLS proxies and certificates can be easily found in my main article and in this thread without any problems in seconds. temps1.gif

Kind regards, AstroSkipper 0ordi.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Update notification! update.gif

The Root Certificates have been updated and are now from 25-04-2023. Here is a screenshot:

CAupdater-25-04-2023.png

Root-Certificates-25-04-2023.png

Therefore, my self-created, offline Root Certificate Updaters in the section 11.2.4. Downloads related to Root Certificate Updates (in the first post of this thread) will also be updated as soon as possible. ssuper5sur5.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 4/27/2023 at 2:40 AM, AstroSkipper said:

The Root Certificates have been updated and are now from 25-04-2023. Here is a screenshot:

CAupdater-25-04-2023.png

Root-Certificates-25-04-2023.png

Therefore, my self-created, offline Root Certificate Updaters in the section 11.2.4. Downloads related to Root Certificate Updates (in the first post of this thread) will also be updated as soon as possible. ssuper5sur5.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Both versions of my Root Certificate and Revoked Certificate Updater for offline use have been updated and are now of 04/25/2023. You can find them in the section 11.2.4. Downloads related to Root Certificate Updates in the first post of this thread.

Cheers, AstroSkipper d010.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Not much luck to get this to wok.
That's what i did:
1.  Installed the "CA.crt" as a Trusted ROOT.
2. Started the "ProxHTTPSProxy_PSwitch.exe" tool.
But the Windows XP Update page only reload loops.
The POSReady 2009 updates are already installed. And i also tried it with TLS 1.2 On and Off in Internet Explorer 8.

Edited by Outbreaker

Hello @Outbreaker! Which version of the TLS proxies are you using? Starting the proxy by applying ProxHTTPSProxy_PSwitch.exe means you have installed an older version such as ProxHTTPSProxy REV3e or my package ProxHTTPSProxy's PopMenu 3V1. These versions are TLS 1.2 proxies and not up to date. You should actually use one of the TLS 1.3 proxies, either ProxyMII (20220717) aka ProxHTTPSProxy 1.5.220717 or my most recent package ProxHTTPSProxy's PopMenu TLS 1.3 3V3. Of course, the old TLS 1.2 proxies should still work, too.

1 hour ago, Outbreaker said:

1.  Installed the "CA.crt" as a Trusted ROOT.

Under the account Local Computer? If not, it won't work.

But the Windows XP Update page only reload loops.

Did you already read my article Complete guide for restoring IE's access to WU/MU website using ProxHTTPSProxy or HTTPSProxy in Windows XP? The loops are presumably a result of a misconfiguration of the IE (see step 4). If all steps of my guide are performed properly, it will definitely work. Here is my list with all other working methods to access WU or MU successfully:

Kind regards, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I re-tried it but I can't get this to work. I also notice that the Proxy's PopMenu doesn't show any Icons and clicking on one of the menu is also not working.
I tested this with a fresh installation of a original Windows XP SP3 and a Windows XP with all the Updates (+POSReady2009) included.

Edited by Outbreaker

9 hours ago, Outbreaker said:

I also notice that the Proxy's PopMenu doesn't show any Icons and clicking on one of the menu is also not working.

You have to follow the instructions in my manual inside the archive. If Proxy's PopMenu doesn't show icons, and the menu items don't work, then it is not properly installed. You have to start the executable Configure PopMenu.exe first to set up Proxy's PopMenu. See under the section 7.5 or 9.3.2 (according to the version you are using) of my article ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use! A detailed documentation, titled Documentation of ProxHTTPSProxy's PopMenu 3V1 (or 3V3), can be found in the subfolder Docs of each program package and should be read before using ProxHTTPSProxy's PopMenu in any case. The installation, all features and more are described there. cours.gif The process of installation and setting up is actually very easy. In any case, my package has been tested deeply, and it works as described. :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

@Outbreaker! WU/MU works perfectly using Proxy's PopMenu. If it doesn't work for you, then you did unfortunately something wrong. Everything is detailed and sufficiently documented. My advice: Do all from scratch following the instructions! BTW, you didn't answer my questions. One of them for example was:

11 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Which version of the TLS proxies are you using?

:dubbio:

In the unexpected case that you still have problems despite my extensive instructions, I need more detailed information to help you in a reasonable and problem-oriented way. An exact description of the problem with version information, screenshots and so on. :yes: But, as I said, everything should actually run immediately and without any problems. d010.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Okay i give it another go here is what i did.

1. Installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable v14.28.29213.0. (DONE)
2. Installed lasted Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 with Updates. (DONE)
3. Extracted Zip-Archive file "ProxHTTPSProxy_TLS_1_3_1_5_220717_PopMenu_3V3" to "C:\". (DONE)
4. Turn Off Windows XP Firewall.  (DONE)
5. Executed the file ".\ProxHTTPSProxyMII_CertIns_Windows\ProxHTTPSProxy Cert Install.exe" from the extracted Zip-Archive file. (DONE)
6. Executed the file ".\PopMenu\Configure PopMenu.exe" from the extracted Zip-Archive file. (DONE)

Result; PopMenu and Min2Tray started fine, but Microsoft Update page is reloading none stop in Internet Explorer 8..
Everything was tested on a fresh installed Windows XP in VirtualBox. Not sure what I do wrong here, but it's like an abstract labyrinth to get this to work. :blink:

VirtualBox_Windwos XP_01_06_2023_14_40_32.png

Edited by Outbreaker

32 minutes ago, Outbreaker said:

Okay i give it another go here is what i did.

1. Installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 Redistributable v14.28.29213.0. (DONE)
2. Installed lasted Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0 with Updates. (DONE)
3. Extracted Zip-Archive file "ProxHTTPSProxy_TLS_1_3_1_5_220717_PopMenu_3V3" to "C:\". (DONE)
5. Executed the file ".\ProxHTTPSProxyMII_CertIns_Windows\ProxHTTPSProxy Cert Install.exe" from the extracted Zip-Archive file. (DONE)
6. Executed the file ".\PopMenu\Configure PopMenu.exe" from the extracted Zip-Archive file. (DONE)

Result; PopMenu and Min2Tray started fine, but Microsoft Update page is reloading none stop in Internet Explorer 8..
Everything was tested on a fresh installed Windows XP in VirtualBox. Not sure what I do wrong here, but it's like an abstract labyrinth to get this to work. :blink:

VirtualBox_Windwos XP_01_06_2023_14_40_32.png

Ok! That looks much better. Now, you have a problem with accessing the Microsoft Windows Update page. As I already wrote, you should follow my guide Complete guide for restoring IE's access to WU/MU website using ProxHTTPSProxy or HTTPSProxy in Windows XP. This guide is well-tested, too, and after doing all steps, MU should actually work. The problem with the loops is probably caused by a misconfiguration of the Internet Explorer. Please read especially step 4 of my guide (but all other steps are also important, of course)! starescreen.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

6 hours ago, Outbreaker said:

BTW, turning off Windows XP Firewall is not necessarily needed. Just for testing purpose! Generally, it should work with Windows XP Firewall enabled. But you have to allow connections of IE and Proxy's PopMenu in your firewall, of course. :)

6 hours ago, Outbreaker said:

Not sure what I do wrong here, but it's like an abstract labyrinth to get this to work. :blink:

TBH, it was a labyrinth at the time when we were solving all related problems to get it work. But now, it's just a problem of proper configuration. So, not really an abstract labyrinth anymore here! You do not have to be a Maze Runner. :buehehe:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I tried again, but it refuses to work on my side.

Not sure if i should get this popup message below or not.

VirtualBox_Windwos XP_02_06_2023_16_12_55.png

No, you actually shouldn't get this popup message. Did you configure IE exactly as I wrote in my guide?

4. Configure Internet Explorer. Internet Zone to standard, Trusted Zone to high with only these three URLs associated with MU: http://www.update.microsoft.com/https://www.update.microsoft.com/ and  http://update.microsoft.com/. Credits to @maile3241 and @AstroSkipper. Go to Internet Explorer Options, Advanced. Check if TLS 1.2 is enabled. Uncheck entry "Check for server certificate revocation".

Please provide screenshots of your IE settings! Do not add http://fe2.update.microsoft.com/ to the Trusted Zone of IE!

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content