Pretty Detox Posts

msfntor

Ukrainian dogs queue up - waiting for food: 'Never seen it before'
Created: 03.11.2022, 05:02 Uhr

By: Sandra Barbara Furtner

Due to the war in Ukraine, many animals have lost their homes and are struggling on their own. Dedicated people are trying to help.

"I've never seen anything like this." As Nate Mook walks through the streets of Kramatorsk, a major city in eastern Ukraine, he sees something that touches his heart. Several dogs left behind are standing one behind the other on the sidewalk, patiently waiting for some food. Only recently, with the help of donations and supporters, the man, who is involved in helping Ukrainian pets in war zones, installed a kind of feeding station for the animals. And it was gratefully accepted, as his emotional photo on Twitter shows. What makes it special, however, is the patience and gratitude shown by the animals.

Dogs from Ukraine stand in line waiting for food: "I've never seen before".

30145431-hunde-futter-ukraine-krieg-2pmD 

- dedicated people try to help

Nate Mook @natemook

I’ve never seen anything like this. Yesterday we installed a displaced pet feeding station in Kramatorsk (with your support!). This morning, the Ukrainian dogs waited in line to eat.

A group of dogs patiently stand in line waiting for food. © Twitter (Nate Mook)

It's especially hard for dogs and cats that used to have a sheltered home. They are simply not used to being on their own. But fortunately, some volunteers have stepped forward. "We've noticed a high level of willingness to support the animals," Mook continues. Still, the need for money and food continues.

Dogs from Ukraine are lining up - and are grateful for any help.

But it is not only food for the animals that is lacking. "The need for food is enormous, but veterinarians are also lacking," Mook continues to write. "Volunteers are risking their lives to rescue dogs and cats." People in Ukraine continue to face unimaginable challenges. But thanks to the action of brave volunteers, there is a small ray of hope after all in the form of grateful dogs who are happy to wait their turn and happy that someone cares about them at all.

HERE: https://www.merkur.de/leben/tiere/einsatz-hunde-katze-ukraine-krieg-futter-leid-hilfe-streuner-twitter-tierschutz-zr-91875862.html

Update from Kramatorsk! The dogs are still incredibly well organized. Our displaced pet feeding station here seems to have become the local hangout spot. #DogsOfUkraine

Here: https://twitter.com/natemook

Anton Gerashchenko @Gerashchenko_en

After Russian rocket strikes, Filya the cat was rescued and brought to safety.

Here: https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1584848317673926656

..and account: https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en

J'arrive! I'm coming!

2xpihewllyx91.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Volcanic lightning, a rare phenomena in which lightning is generated from volcanic ash particles colliding with each other within the volcanic plume, instead of in a thunderstorm. This event is nicknamed 'Dirty Thunderstorm'.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NatureIsf***ingLit/comments/ym356m/volcanic_lightning_a_rare_phenomena_in_which/

Happy Dog @Happydog___

The scared pup went from fear to love in seconds Thank you good soul!

FgBj5JbWAAA8ihe?format=jpg&name=900x900

Today is my birthday, I know I'm very sick but no one ever blessed me!

Here: https://twitter.com/Happydog___/status/1585376904357433345

FgfrCSiWQAAsfPh?format=jpg&name=900x900

Ham saved my life yesterday. He hurt his paw but I’m alive because of his bravery. Thank you, Ham. You are my best friend. I was working on my house where I fell and was critically injured. He ran to me and started howling and crying; he tried to drag me and ripped his foot open

Here: https://twitter.com/Happydog___/status/1587495823847325698

2 hours ago, msfntor said:

J'arrive! I'm coming!

2xpihewllyx91.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Volcanic lightning, a rare phenomena in which lightning is generated from volcanic ash particles colliding with each other within the volcanic plume, instead of in a thunderstorm. This event is nicknamed 'Dirty Thunderstorm'.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NatureIsf***ingLit/comments/ym356m/volcanic_lightning_a_rare_phenomena_in_which/

WOW ... awesome to see but wouldn't want to be near it!

Meet the Shoebill Stork, an Enormous Bird That Looks Like a Muppet

By Jessica Stewart on August 9, 2022

shoebill-stork-2.jpg

Looking like a mix between a dinosaur and a Jim Henson puppet, the shoebill stork (Balaeniceps rex) is a sight to behold. The large African bird gets its name from its distinct beak, which looks like a shoe. Sometimes called a whale-headed stork, these birds actually aren't storks at all, but are more closely related to pelicans and herons. These solitary birds are not only fascinating for their prehistoric look but also for their behavior.

Table of Contents

1 Habitat and Size

2 Diet and Conservation

3 Frequently Asked Questions

3.1 How big are shoebills?

3.2 Can a shoebill fly?

3.3 Where can I see a shoebill stork?

3.4 Are shoebill storks endangered?

3.5 Are shoebills friendly?

3.6 How long do shoebills live?

4 Learn More About the Shoebill Stork

The shoebill's natural habitat is the swamps of eastern Africa. Their thin legs with large feet give them the ability to wade through the vegetation of swamps and marshes from Ethiopia to Zambia. Thanks to their stature, they truly are kings of their environment.  They can reach up to five-feet high with an eight-foot wingspan, making them fairly intimidating. Just their clog-like beak, alone, measures a foot long and nearly half a foot wide.

But if you came upon a shoebill, there's a good chance you'd be intimidated not only by the size but the fact that they don't move. Shoebills can stand motionless for hours, waiting for the perfect moment to catch their prey. And when the time is right, they make their move by exhibiting a behavior called collapsing. This means that they simply fall forward on their prey with their beaks wide open, scooping up their meal.

They're not only deliberate in their movements but also in their sounds. Shoebills are typically silent except when they arrive at the nest. Then, they'll clatter their bills, much like storks do, to communicate with one another.

If you were wondering what these prehistoric-looking birds eat, don't worry—humans aren't on the menu...

HERE, with many photos and the video: https://mymodernmet.com/shoebill-stork/

Hello guys, let me know if you are interested in the thematics of my posts, what are your comments on the past posts for example in this Pretty Detox Posts topic, which thematic I should continue (if there is one to continue)... it's interesting all this, or not? 
I would also like to see your own input to continue together...

15 hours ago, msfntor said:

Hello guys, let me know if you are interested in the thematics of my posts, what are your comments on the past posts for example in this Pretty Detox Posts topic, which thematic I should continue (if there is one to continue)... it's interesting all this, or not? 
I would also like to see your own input to continue together...

.................:angel

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/world-record-giant-sunfish-is-heaviest-fish-ever-weighed-at-6000-pounds-and-a-sign-of-hope/

World Record Giant Sunfish is Heaviest Fish Ever Weighed–at 6,000 Pounds–and a ‘Sign of Hope’

spacer.png

Marine biologists working in the Azores have recorded the largest sunfish ever at 6,049 pounds (2,740 kilograms).

After towing it ashore and availing themselves of the help of a forklift to hoist the behemoth bony fish onto a hanging scale, they found it broke the Guinness World Record for heaviest bony fish, and weighed more than an entire NFL football team’s roster.

At around 10 feet in length (3.25 meters), the sunfish, also called a “mola,” was found near Faial Island in the Azores island chain by marine biologists of the Cetacean Stranding Network, who help dispose of large floating whale carcasses among other responsibilities.

José Nuno Gomes-Pereira, the biologist that spotted the giant fish and who described it in the Journal of Fish Biology, says its discovery is a sign of hope.

“It means that the marine ecosystem is still healthy enough to sustain these large animals,” he says.

RELATED: Colorado’s State Fish, Once Considered Extinct, is Now Reproducing Naturally in Native Waters

It is recorded as a bony fish, a classification that excludes sharks and rays, which is important not only because they have no bones, but because they are both extremely heavy genera.

As ocean-going fish that have no known regional habitat specifications outside of the polar regions, it’s not understood where molas spend most of their time, or what conditions they need to breed.

They are unpredictable in where they will appear at any given time of the year, but being that they tilt their massive bodies horizontally to sunbathe, they can be spotted very easily.

WATCH: Watch This Massive Ocean Sunfish Swim With Paddle Boarders Off the California Coast

“I so love going to the Monterey Bay Aquarium because sometimes we have the sunfish shown on display in the million-gallon tank alongside the hammerheads and tuna. And then when the sunfish appears, people are just like, ‘Oh. Wow! Why?!’” says Tierney Thys, a marine biologist with the California Academy of Sciences and a National Geographic Explorer. “It’s an animal that just begs so many more questions.”

She wrote the first academic book on the molidae group which includes the giant or bump head sunfish, and the more common relative the mola mola, or ocean sunfish. She told National Geographic it’s a “colossal reminder” of good things.

“It’s a colossal reminder that our ocean still holds so many mysterious surprises,” said Thys.

https://www.positive.news/society/the-surprisingly-simple-solution-to-homelessness-thats-getting-results/

The surprisingly simple solution to homelessness that’s changing lives

Called Housing First, the policy does exactly what it says on the tin: provides homes to people without preconditions, then wraparound support tailored to their needs. It sounds almost childishly simple, yet it is antithetical to the status quo. Most local authorities in the US and the UK operate what is known as the staircase model. Unlike Housing First, staircase expects people to be sober, engaging with support services, seeking employment, and have completed courses on managing a tenancy. Only then can one be considered housing ready.

Housing First is the brainchild of Dr Sam Tsemberis, a clinical psychologist who came up with the idea in 1992 after he saw patients he’d treated at Bellevue psychiatric hospital roaming New York City’s streets.

Since Houston first trialled it in 2012, they have moved more than 25,000 people from tents and park benches into houses. When they began, it would have taken a homeless veteran (one of the categories tracked by the government) 720 days and 76 bureaucratic steps to move from the streets into housing. Today the wait is just 32 days.

@XPerceniol: At the end of your article, we have two interesting testimonials, which I will quote here:

A home at last 

‘They’ve given me my self-esteem back’

Lisa Mindshull has had periods of homelessness ever since she ran away from home, aged 15, to escape her abusive father. Most recently, she’s been sleeping rough in Manchester. “For 11 months, I was sleeping at a derelict church every night,” she says.

When Housing First took her on, she was sceptical; she had heard all their promises before, but this time it was different. She’s finally settled in a place she can call home; she has friendly neighbours, a growing number of friends, and she has Cheryl, who has been more like a best friend to her than a support worker.

“They put me in control,” she says. “I felt this time they were listening to me. They’ve given me my self-esteem back; gave me my strength back. And I’ve got a purpose, something to live for. It’s the best thing I’ve ever done.”

‘My support worker checks on me every week’

Gary Cundle has spent 30 of his 49 years on and off Manchester’s streets. Cundle doesn’t think much of charities and hostels; even though they’ve been helpful to him over the years, they’ve never solved his problems.

“Housing First helped me in a big way. [My support worker] comes to check on me every week to make sure I’m paying my bills or if there’s anything wrong,” Cundle says. He won’t go into much detail about how he ended up homeless but says he’s abused all manner of drugs over the years: “I’ve been on everything: crack, heroin, cannabis.”

Before Cundle got on the pilot scheme, he bounced between the city’s hostels and the streets. Now he has his own place in Salford and a clear care plan, which provides him with the support he needs with his mental health and drug dependency. “Without Housing First, I wouldn’t have known how to go about that,” he admits.

- the link is in the post above.