Chromium V3 manifest is limiting your freedom with security excuse

Mr.Scienceman2000

https://developer.chrome.com/docs/extensions/mv3/intro/

In short Chromium will be removing webRequest api and replace it with chrome.declarativeNetRequest in next month with Manifest V3 (V2 will be crippled away). This of course is done in name of security because google is worried from following to end user.

The blocking version of the webRequest API is restricted to force-installed extensions in MV3. This is because of issues with the blocking webRequest approach:

Privacy: This requires excessive access to user data, because extensions need to read each network request made for the user.

Performance: Serializing & deserializing data across multiple process hops & the C++/JS boundary adds up.

Compatibility: Does not work well with event-based background execution as it requires the service worker to be running to handle every request.

Now when I said official story I can say my opinion on this. That is total lie and only purpose of that is to limit privacy add-ons like noscript, ublock origin, Umatrix etc from having higher control over your browser. New api replacing it will not allow addons directly read data and will force request trough chromium (source). Also that wont limit addons from stealing your data because malicious addons today wont need to read your browser traffic to steal passwords or or other data. But of course anything can be done with security excuse.

And if you think some alternatives like Firefox or Coward I mean Brave will not do it remember that Firefox is funded by Google and it past they killed off XPCOM addons in name of security, forced addon signatures, added hard blocklist for addons and Brave gets paid from Google to use their search engine plus it uses Chromium engine as default, it includes it own spyware, it uses addons still for contect blocking.

And some actually good forks like Librewolf and Ungoogled chromium are in uphill battle with mainstream decisions and developers of librewolf has admitted they have problem hand.

And UXP based browsers like Palememe or Serpent suffer from compatibility issues with Chromium JS and WASM made pages so those are not so great either for all use.

Feels like every day I want get more away from internet, but world forces me to use online services to do basic things because offices are closed or resisted access

Edited by Mr.Scienceman2000

It is in January 2023 that Chrome stops running manifest v2 extensions:

https://developer.chrome.com/docs/extensions/mv3/mv2-sunset/

It's not my area of expertise, but one solution is to implement blocking at the DNS level.
But in this case, cosmetic filtering would be missing.

Raymond Hill writes that he currently has no solution to the noop rule which is currently unworkable.

Very useful to start decreasing the filters used in UBO.

At the moment in Edge I have:

41406 network filters 37824 cosmetic filters

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

30 minutes ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

It's not my area of expertise, but one solution is to implement blocking at the DNS level.

But in this case, cosmetic filtering would be missing.

there is soluction for that if you have spare linux box or VM to utilise.

https://pi-hole.net/

I am using that and it with default lists works great for blocking ads in network level. Sometimes UBO might conflict with that.

Also make sure you wont blacklist any CDN you may need because some lists on by default.

30 minutes ago, Sampei.Nihira said:

Very useful to start decreasing the filters used in UBO.

At the moment in Edge I have:

41406 network filters 37824 cosmetic filters

I agree with this. In my tests on Chromium, Gecko and Goanna based browsers enabling excess amount of blocklists wont block more ads or trackers and only slows down browsing.

I only use UBO for cosmetic blocking and Umatrix will handle ads and tracking blocking. Also ublock is helpful to block anything that umatrix is missing for some reason because sometimes you cant block all visual annoyances and ublock works great for it.

I only use built in filters and adblock filter list for finland and my custom cosmetic filters on it.

34 minutes ago, testaccount66766 said:

well I have not closely followed that sinking ship but their engine seems not allow do anything for those privacy settings on palememe based browser even when I allow js. It works on ungoogled chromium and librewolf so useless and inferior to searx, which can do ddg and google results and I can run it on my private instance

And thing is violators will never change for better. For example privacy respecting Duckduckgo used to run data collection operation before was privacy respecting vendor. Always look under curtain and you see more than before. Like I said you still got lot to learn in life (so do I and everyone else) and that if something sounds too good to be true it is not true.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Two MV3 adblocker-functionality extensions are under development.

AdGuard:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adguard-adblocker-mv3-exp/apjcbfpjihpedihablmalmbbhjpklbdf

uBlock Origin Lite:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin-lite/ddkjiahejlhfcafbddmgiahcphecmpfh

I would like to advise MSFN members to also check Next DNS network filtering (cosmetic filtering is not possible this way).
Simple registration is required.

Free 300,000 queries/month usage is certainly possible if you include Next DNS (DOH) in your Chromium-based browser.

It is also possible to change browsers.
Brave and other chromium-based browsers with internal adblockers should not be subject to MV3's laws.

The use of AdGuard Desktop (paid software) is also exempt from Mv3 laws.

• 2 months later...
On 9/19/2022 at 10:08 AM, Sampei.Nihira said:

Two MV3 adblocker-functionality extensions are under development.

AdGuard:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/adguard-adblocker-mv3-exp/apjcbfpjihpedihablmalmbbhjpklbdf

uBlock Origin Lite:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin-lite/ddkjiahejlhfcafbddmgiahcphecmpfh

I would like to advise MSFN members to also check Next DNS network filtering (cosmetic filtering is not possible this way).
Simple registration is required.

Free 300,000 queries/month usage is certainly possible if you include Next DNS (DOH) in your Chromium-based browser.

It is also possible to change browsers.
Brave and other chromium-based browsers with internal adblockers should not be subject to MV3's laws.

The use of AdGuard Desktop (paid software) is also exempt from Mv3 laws.

Is this still valid?

I've been silent about this, but its been building and I can't keep silent and I am concerned.

8 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Is this still valid?

I've been silent about this, but its been building and I can't keep silent and I am concerned.

Hi,

For a precise answer I would need to know what interests you about these various topics.:)

I personally do not think it is necessary to change browsers (switch to Brave) if you are not already using this browser.
Neither is spending money with AdGuard Desktop.

On 11/27/2022 at 3:15 AM, Sampei.Nihira said:

Hi,

For a precise answer I would need to know what interests you about these various topics.:)

I personally do not think it is necessary to change browsers (switch to Brave) if you are not already using this browser.
Neither is spending money with AdGuard Desktop.

Thank you, I guess I was reading at the PM forum and seen people were saying the internet looks bleak going forward. But, yeah, I can't spend money on things like this, if I were (don't foresee this) come into some money, I'd like to update my clothing. The 80's are calling and want their appeal back. :)

Yeah, I'll just stick by this form and recommendations by our good family here. 

• 2 weeks later...

December 9, 2022: The Manifest V2 deprecation timelines are under review and the experiments scheduled for early 2023 are being postponed. For more information, read the update in the chromium-extensions Google Group.

https://developer.chrome.com/blog/more-mv2-transition/

Greetings extension devs,

As we head towards Manifest V3 migration, we are intently monitoring comments from the developer community to help inform our timelines. We’ve heard your feedback on common challenges posed by the migration, specifically the service worker’s inability to use DOM capabilities and the current hard limit on extension service worker lifetimes. We’re mitigating the former with the Offscreen Documents API (added in Chrome 109) and are actively pursuing a solution to the latter.

We’re committed to providing developers solutions to migration challenges with new functionality, bug fixes, and adequate time for adoption. For this reason, we’re postponing any January experiments to turn off Manifest V2 in pre-release channels of Chrome and changes to the featured badge in the Chrome Webstore, and we'll be evaluating all downstream milestones as well. Expect to hear more about the updated phase-out plan and schedule by March of 2023. Our guiding principle will be to give developers sufficient time to update and test their extensions after the launch of these new capabilities before turning off Manifest V2.

https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/g/chromium-extensions/c/zQ77HkGmK9E

Edited by Sampei.Nihira