StartAllBack for Windows 11

Tihiy

@Tihiy I'm trying to port an old Windows 7 custom theme to StartIsBack and I have a small problem. I use the included Windows 7.msstyles from SaB as a base and everything works as long as I don't segment the taskbar:

spacer.png

As soon as I segment the taskbar it loses most of its styling:

grafik.thumb.png.3b3eda3baf66f1608b5369aa5756f430.png

The interesting thing is however, due to a bug I presume the taskbar on my second monitor can't un-segment itself yet retains the styling:

grafik.png.72bf9c5977c151fa4cd9add018494b1e.png

Is there any documentation as to how to edit styles so they retain the styling when in segmented mode? I have some custom-styles for SaB that work fine when segmented so it seems to be possible.

5 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

@Tihiy did you get any new info from Microsoft about 3.7.9 and removing the update block?

They promised to make it work but can't promise any timeline

18 minutes ago, Tihiy said:

They promised to make it work but can't promise any timeline

That's great news that they aren't abandoning us power users. There's a reason why people use StartAllBack and they have to understand that your users are likely their most loyal users as well and that they really dropped the ball when it comes to supporting enthusiasts.

Thanks for replying and for the reassurance! 😃

3.7.9 works fine on 24H2 IOT Ent LTSC 26100 with the 26100.2 cumulative update.

Early adopters of .9 should remember that the SAB task bar is turned off at install.  Just go to Program Files/StartAllBack and run StartAllBackCfg.exe manually to turn it on.

Jim

21 minutes ago, MidnightInAurora said:

3.7.9 works fine on 24H2 IOT Ent LTSC 26100 with the 26100.2 cumulative update.

Early adopters of .9 should remember that the SAB task bar is turned off at install.  Just go to Program Files/StartAllBack and run StartAllBackCfg.exe manually to turn it on.

Jim

Yup, already said that when I posted. This is Microsoft's requirement and should only apply to new installs not upgrades over existing installs based on my testing.

52 minutes ago, mackid1993 said:

Yup, already said that when I posted. This is Microsoft's requirement and should only apply to new installs not upgrades over existing installs based on my testing.

My upgrade over .8 finished with the task bar off.  Maybe it's a LTSC thing.  I've never run anything other than Ent LTSC or IOT Ent LTSC, so I don't know what Home/Pro does.

Jim

16 minutes ago, MidnightInAurora said:

My upgrade over .8 finished with the task bar off.  Maybe it's a LTSC thing.  I've never run anything other than Ent LTSC or IOT Ent LTSC, so I don't know what Home/Pro does.

Jim

Yup, you're right! Just tested and confirmed.

Good news though:

1. I uninstalled 3.7.9 and kept the settings with the classic taskbar enabled
  2. Reinstalled and let explorer restart.
  3. Classic taskbar was automatically enabled.

This seems to be a one time thing going from 3.7.8 to 3.7.9 on 24H2 and future updates it will stay enabled.

I'm guessing Microsoft is planning on breaking more things and Tihiy is going to have to keep fixing the rot. Lucky for Tihiy there is no competition, Explorer Patcher is certainly dead since it doesn't have any unique code like SAB does and Start11 is a thing of nightmares made by developers who have no idea how to write software, market based on being an ad free Start Menu and then push full screen ads to their users to get them to upgrade to their v2 app that crashes explorer when doing a search.

Edited by mackid1993

6 hours ago, Xao_Fan-Tzilin said:

When installing what? SAB or Windows?

SAB.  When we tested upgrading SAB 3.7.8 to 3.7.9, the SAB taskbar was turned off when the upgrade finished.  The upgrade takes about 1 second and when explorer restarted, the regular Win 11 taskbar was present.

We just went and ran StartAllBackCfg.exe manually and turned on the taskbar.  It used the previous settings from 3.7.8 and we had the SAB taskbar back.

We don't consider anything in the upgrade process an issue or problem.  For us, SAB works 100%.

Jim

Hello

Does anyone know if it's a registry key or a setting that causes the Windows font to be darker with SAB (dark mode off)  ?

Without SAB :  SABoff.PNG.0d0e17003652057e3a2414e833c712e2.PNG

With SAB :  SABon.PNG.3dbb82cc9bb13ccf0296d80e73695688.PNG

Thanks

Edited by tistou77