StartAllBack for Windows 11

Tihiy

Hi,dear @Tihiy,sorry to disturb U,I have 2 bugs to report, and by the way, I'm looking forward to two new features that can be added in the future.

SAB: Version 3.7.5

Bug 1:

After installing SAB, if I open explorer.exe and press F11 (to enter full-screen mode) while focusing on the window, it causes all running explorer.exe instances to be immediately terminated. 

However, if I maximize the explorer.exe window first and then press F11, it enters fullscreen mode as expected.

Bug 2:

After version 3.7.6 , SAB have added support for Win11 explorer's multi-tabs feature. But after I used Vivetool to disable the multi-tabs feature in explorer, the cross button in the top-right corner of the explorer's ribbon toolbar did not revert to the original blue question mark button. 

Instead, clicking the cross button now brings up the SAB configuration window, and the tooltip associated with the button also pertains to SAB configuration.

00.png.9ec75e899677cd4276986ecfc46457a8.png

How can I change the cross button in the top-right corner of the explorer's ribbon toolbar back to the original blue question mark button? Or is there a way for users to directly choose whether to enable SAB's support for the multi-tabs feature?

2024-03-27_171244.jpg.06f043bf80dc52798b6f431669831288.jpg

Expected Feature 1:

SAB supports switching between the old and new styles icon scheme package for the explorer's ribbon toolbar. Furthermore, there are even SVG-formatted ribbon toolbar icons located in C:\Program Files\StartAllBack\Ribbon. 

So, will SAB in the future support users customizing the icons on the ribbon toolbar, similar to how SAB allows users to customize the start menu button through C:\Program Files\StartAllBack\Orbs?

The reason I hope for this feature is that some icons on the explorer's ribbon toolbar cannot be modified by simply modifying imageres.dll or a a specific dll file. 

For example, the icon for explorer.exe is embedded within the explorer.exe itself, and forcibly modifying it can result in breaking the digital signature of explorer.exe, causing the program to become unusable.

2024-04-06_095536.jpg.75f425769234f214232b8f16bb733124.jpg

Another example is the Filter icon in the ribbon toolbar, which is unusually ugly, but I don't know where this icon is located or how to modify it by editing a specific DLL. 

2024-04-06_095620.jpg.41b0f3e14390bad592318b3c7ed10040.jpg

However, the new style ribbon toolbar icon package scheme of SAB successfully gives it a new look that is at least not so ugly , and this gives me hope...

2024-04-06_095706.jpg.75d5ec535fc5046ec4e5428af1229b55.jpg

Expected Feature 2:

Is it possible, similar to StartIsBack, for future versions of SAB to allow users to enable a light mode style version tooltip and context menu for the Taskbar when the Taskbar is in dark mode,and vice versa?

Thank you for considering these suggestions and for your great work on SAB :).

Edited by aero11xyz

5 hours ago, aero11xyz said:

After version 3.7.6 , SAB have added support for Win11 explorer's multi-tabs feature. But after I used Vivetool to disable the multi-tabs feature in explorer, the cross button in the top-right corner of the explorer's ribbon toolbar did not revert to the original blue question mark button. 

Instead, clicking the cross button now brings up the SAB configuration window, and the tooltip associated with the button also pertains to SAB configuration.

00.png.9ec75e899677cd4276986ecfc46457a8.png

What's more strange is that this button also appears in places where you cannot open multi-tabs, like Network Connections, Programs and Features and Sync Center for example.

Edited by mina7601

On 4/4/2024 at 7:38 PM, iGameShit said:

StartAllBack is no longer compatible with the latest build in the Dev Channel. Either Microsoft just drastically changed how the taskbar functions or is actively trying to prevent element modifiers from working correctly from here on out. Is there something that you could do on your end to see if it's fixable?

Remove just the program until the update finishes then you can install StartAllBack by giving the install.exe a different name. I used SAB_3.7.8. I'm running the Insider Canary builds and StartAllBack is working great.

12 hours ago, Redrider said:

Remove just the program until the update finishes then you can install StartAllBack by giving the install.exe a different name. I used SAB_3.7.8. I'm running the Insider Canary builds and StartAllBack is working great.

Tihiy was saying on Twitter that it's StartAllBack*.exe that is blocked. So putting something in front of StartAllBack should work too.

On 4/7/2024 at 11:30 AM, mackid1993 said:

Tihiy was saying on Twitter that it's StartAllBack*.exe that is blocked. So putting something in front of StartAllBack should work too.

As long as the Windows  doesn't recognize the name it should install. I wonder what's MS has in store for Insiders when the next Canary build is released.

7 minutes ago, Redrider said:

As long as the Windows  doesn't recognize the name it should install. I wonder what's MS has in store for Insiders when the next Canary build is released.

I have a feeling the classic taskbar is being removed, hence the compat block. Hopefully they will realize it was done in a completely shoddy way and update it so it targets a specific version and not the whole program.

On 4/8/2024 at 3:24 PM, mackid1993 said:

I have a feeling the classic taskbar is being removed, hence the compat block. Hopefully they will realize it was done in a completely shoddy way and update it so it targets a specific version and not the whole program.

From what I understand, they plan to remove all the classic features that currently lurk in the background.  Task bar, start menu, and even the control panel.  If the devs of SAB dont figure out how to actually add those elements back, SAB is going to cease working in the future.  I wish the Windows devs would figure out this is a bad move, but I seriously doubt that is going to happen. 

16 hours ago, ATOdinson said:

From what I understand, they plan to remove all the classic features that currently lurk in the background.  Task bar, start menu, and even the control panel.

I don't think they would go too far by removing these 2 things (the taskbar and the start menu), they are the core of Windows.

I am unsure about the future of Control Panel though, because it seems to have a conflict with Settings application. By this, I meant that some Control Panel applets direct to Settings, and some links in Settings direct you to Control Panel.

Edited by mina7601

"German blog Deskmodder has dug into the appraiser.sdb file in build 26100 and discovered that Microsoft expanded it with new programs that could theoretically block you from getting to Windows 11 version 24H2. The list includes apps like StartAllBack and ExplorerPatcher, which Microsoft recently blocked on 24H2 builds."

https://www.neowin.net/news/here-are-the-apps-that-could-block-you-from-upgrading-to-windows-11-version-24h2/

@Tihiy is it true?

"Later this year, Microsoft will be releasing as significant update to Windows 11 that is referred to as 24H2 and as part of this release, it looks like Microsoft will be removing legacy code from the OS. The removal of this code is impacting any Windows 11 application that leveraged this functionality."

https://www.neowin.net/news/start11-gets-windows-11-24h2-optimizations-as-the-latter-breaks-other-customization-apps/

Edited by Mikaelo

@Tihiy already went through this on Twitter. They are compatblocking StartAllBack*.exe. The classic taskbar is effectively dead, I think we need to give Tihiy some time as I'm sure he is busy working on whatever he has to to ensure SAB continues which likely means replacing the taskbar.

20 hours ago, Mikaelo said:

"German blog Deskmodder has dug into the appraiser.sdb file in build 26100 and discovered that Microsoft expanded it with new programs that could theoretically block you from getting to Windows 11 version 24H2. The list includes apps like StartAllBack and ExplorerPatcher, which Microsoft recently blocked on 24H2 builds."

https://www.neowin.net/news/here-are-the-apps-that-could-block-you-from-upgrading-to-windows-11-version-24h2/

@Tihiy is it true?

"Later this year, Microsoft will be releasing as significant update to Windows 11 that is referred to as 24H2 and as part of this release, it looks like Microsoft will be removing legacy code from the OS. The removal of this code is impacting any Windows 11 application that leveraged this functionality."

https://www.neowin.net/news/start11-gets-windows-11-24h2-optimizations-as-the-latter-breaks-other-customization-apps/

It scares me, if I understand correctly, that Microsoft wants to condition W11 24H2 system updates on the absence of, in its eyes, inappropriate applications? That's way over the top in my opinion. That it prohibits the launch or installation of such applications, ok, that can be understood, but to prohibit the update until you delete the applications for sure? I don't know ... I'm scared of what will happen next.

18 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

@Tihiy already went through this on Twitter. They are compatblocking StartAllBack*.exe. The classic taskbar is effectively dead, I think we need to give Tihiy some time as I'm sure he is busy working on whatever he has to to ensure SAB continues which likely means replacing the taskbar.

Several times, repeatedly, we convinced ourselves that @Tihiy is a real great guy. So I'm not worried about SAB. I'm just a little worried, in light of the previous information, whether Windows will approve SAB as a trusted and safe application for it. We will hope ... 

In order not to cross spears with the new Microsoft policy, it may be worth abstracting from the idea of following the taskbar, and creating a separate application that simulates the taskbar (with the ability to attach folder icons and program launch icons there).. And define a place for the regular taskbar on the opposite side of the desktop and select auto-hide mode.
Then the wolves will be fed and the sheep will be safe.

Is it really possible to do this?

37 minutes ago, Xao_Fan-Tzilin said:

In order not to cross spears with the new Microsoft policy, it may be worth abstracting from the idea of following the taskbar, and creating a separate application that simulates the taskbar (with the ability to attach folder icons and program launch icons there).. And define a place for the regular taskbar on the opposite side of the desktop and select auto-hide mode.
Then the wolves will be fed and the sheep will be safe.

Is it really possible to do this?

Or reimplement the taskbar like Start 11, which didn't run afoul of Microsoft,

12 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

Or reimplement the taskbar like Start 11, which didn't run afoul of Microsoft,

When you say 'reimplement', could you clarify? Since skimming through their documentation it seems they only offer taskbar settings/tweaks already built into Windows either from default settings or registry (taskbar icon grouping, size based on icon size, top/bottom alignment), unless I missed something.

Edited by Specular