StartAllBack for Windows 11

Tihiy

problems with StartAllBack, version 3.7.10 build 26227.5000
i like SaB startmenu, but the StartMenuExperienceHost.exe appears to run  when SaB is activated. It is normal? I think not. Can you fix that to make to not run?

also when i install an app from the store, the StartMenuExperienceHost.exe is starting and keeps running in background. i removed the exe and tried and does not affect the functionality.

15 minutes ago, Ionut Bara said:

problems with StartAllBack, version 3.7.10 build 26227.5000
i like SaB startmenu, but the StartMenuExperienceHost.exe appears to run  when SaB is activated. It is normal? I think not. Can you fix that to make to not run?

also when i install an app from the store, the StartMenuExperienceHost.exe is starting and keeps running in background. i removed the exe and tried and does not affect the functionality.

I see the same thing on 26100, but the process is suspended for me.

Hi,

It appears the dragging animations don't work with 3.7.10 and 24H2.

When I try to drag a program in the taskbar to rearrange it, there is no visual feedback showing the taskbar button moving. It does still end up moving to the new location when the mouse button is released. This only occurs with the default style; it does not occur with the Windows 8 or Windows 7 styles which work fine.

I noticed that the recently updated StartAllBack's NotifyIconOverflowWindow removes the border color, how does this work? Normally if you use DWMWCP_ROUND, the window will have a gray border, how does StartAllBack do it with rounded corners and no border color? Does it use undocumented windows flags?

Posted (edited)

I'm using Windows 11 LTSC 24H2 build 26100.712. This is a retail update through Windows Update. My PC is not enrolled in the dev channel or Insider Preview.

On older Windows 11 LTSC 24H2 builds (26100.1 & 26100.560) StartAllBack worked fine with the widgets button on the enhanced classic taskbar but now it doesn't work unless I disable the classic taskbar.

When clicking on the widgets button now, nothing happens even though the weather information is still updating in the taskbar icon for the widgets button.

Is this a known issue? I've tried StartAllBack 3.7.8 & the latest 3.7.10 and they have the same issue.

Edited by Eiji

10 hours ago, Eiji said:

I'm using Windows 11 LTSC 24H2 build 26100.712. This is a retail update through Windows Update. My PC is not enrolled in the dev channel or Insider Preview.

On older Windows 11 LTSC 24H2 builds (26100.1 & 26100.560) StartAllBack worked fine with the widgets button on the enhanced classic taskbar but now it doesn't work unless I disable the classic taskbar.

When clicking on the widgets button now, nothing happens even though the weather information is still updating in the taskbar icon for the widgets button.

Is this a known issue? I've tried StartAllBack 3.7.8 & the latest 3.7.10 and they have the same issue.

I saw this as well on Pro 24H2.

Tihiy: not sure if this is something you can fix, but I noticed that the classic Alt+Tab dialog box (shown if you hold down Alt, tap the other Alt key, and then press Tab, or if you set HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer→AltTabSettings to 1) doesn't work any more on 24H2 (Windows 11 Pro 26100.268, Windows Server 2025 26100.560) – the dialog box doesn't appear at all, and Windows instead behaves as if Alt+Esc was pressed. Is this something that could be fixed by StartAllBack?

8 hours ago, ender` said:

Is this something that could be fixed by StartAllBack?

Classic kernel-mode Alt-Tab switch window was totally removed in 24H2. I guess it can be reimplemented but how classic we're talking about.

22 hours ago, Eiji said:

I don't know if this is a "known issue" because I've seen nobody else discussing it in this forum. However, I too can confirm your findings.

What you are describing with StartAllBack with the widgets icon/button not opening with "classic taskbar" enabled does nothing.

Hovering over the widget though does show tooltip info on whatever is updating on the widget icon: weather, stocks, alerts...ect.

Nice to know I'm not alone here! :hello:

Windows 11 24H2 (Build 26100.712)

23 hours ago, Eiji said:

Windows 11 24H2 (Build 26120.670) (Dev Channel)

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2024/05/17/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-26120-670-dev-channel/

Known issues

[Widgets]

• The WIN + W keyboard shortcut may not work correctly to open the Widgets board.

Posted (edited)

I noticed a few things when using the app:

• the old non-fluent icons of the categories in the ribbon menu:

1154079822_.png.a694275087de4cb2239840d5e1ae1df4.png

• too contrasting vertical tab separator and lack of the horizontal separator at the bottom under the tabs when the mica effect turned off:

1861700202_.png.b8366f1fa2b7dcf2372682b2dd8cc6d8.png

Edited by XirbioW7

14 hours ago, Tihiy said:

Classic kernel-mode Alt-Tab switch window was totally removed in 24H2. I guess it can be reimplemented but how classic we're talking about.

My two problems with modern Alt-Tab are 1. there's a noticeable delay before it appears (especially on my low-end ARM tablet) and 2. the window previews don't add any value to me, because in high contrast mode windows look mostly the same, and the program icons are too small to be distinguishable

For me the most important thing about Alt+Tab window is that it appears instantly, and that the program icons are recognisable (this is a problem with classic Alt-Tab window – modern apps all have the generic window icon, though I luckily don't use enough of those to be a problem). I don't care if the window has modern flat look, just as long as there's not too much clutter.

4 hours ago, XirbioW7 said:

the old non-fluent icons of the categories in the ribbon menu:

Don't resize window that small

4 hours ago, XirbioW7 said:

too contrasting vertical tab separator and lack of the horizontal separator at the bottom under the tabs when the mica effect turned off:

Don't turn Mica off

18 hours ago, avatars said:

Windows 11 24H2 (Build 26120.670) (Dev Channel)

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2024/05/17/announcing-windows-11-insider-preview-build-26120-670-dev-channel/

Known issues

[Widgets]

• The WIN + W keyboard shortcut may not work correctly to open the Widgets board.

Microsoft does not mention on that referenced page that the mouse wouldn't work to open it.