Windows 10 version 2004 vs 20H2 changes?

JaggerLegend

So microsoft is planning on releasing the 20H2 version of windows 10 soon, and i was just wondering, is it possible to prevent the system from automatically updating to the newer version, as i plan on keeping version 2004 that i currently use that works fairly well. the reason why i don't wan't to upgrade / use the newer version, is because in 20H2, they are planning on removing the classic control panel, which is a big no no. i don't understand why they can't just implement the bug fixes / increased performance, without doing all these unwarranted / unnecessary / forceful changes on us. is it possible to do such a thing, or it's only one or the other? also, does anyone know the more specific details on what exact bugs are fixed / performance increases there are? i do not know what they've changed in all these different versions, but it almost seems like version 2004 might be the last "good" version, depending on subjective user experience and needs. the reason being is because people will / can use older versions for many years in the support cycle, at least according to wikipedia, so it seems like the newer versions aren't a significant difference, aside from version 2004 i should say which for me, has been the "best". 

20H2 has been out since October.

21H1 was released 4 days ago.

2004 about a year ago.

I upgraded my other partition from 20H2 to 21H1, no issues at all. There is basically nothing new in 21H1 compared to 20H2, other than you get support until Dec 2022. 2004 compared to 20H2 though, Control System is gone and the start menu changed to remove icon backgrounds. 

On 5/22/2021 at 3:43 PM, Tonny52 said:

Control System is gone

You mean "System" from Control Panel? You can open it through the context menu you get if you right-click on it. Or the normal way through Open-Shell start menu if you have Control Panel displayed as menu.

Edited by UCyborg

18 hours ago, UCyborg said:

You mean "System" from Control Panel? You can open it through the context menu you get if you right-click on it. Or the normal way through Open-Shell start menu if you have Control Panel displayed as menu.

Through the context menu it still exists, but in the latest dev insider I tried that and it doesn't work. Fully gone in Dev builds right now.

Do they still not let you access individual wireless network properties, also disconnected ones, like you can do with the old Manage Wireless Networks interface, where you can also change their order?

• 9 months later...
On 5/22/2021 at 12:24 PM, JaggerLegend said:

is it possible to prevent the system from automatically updating to the newer version, as i plan on keeping version 2004 that i currently use that works fairly well.

if you prevent system automatically updating then you got some issue in the windows like as I am having some short issue with Chrome browser when I Open spreadsheet I got a message on the top of it, which says (this version of Google Chrome is no longer Supported. Please upgrade to the supported version) which I already had a newer version of Chrome But still I am getting this error message.

• 3 months later...

Upgrading from the 32-bit version to the 64-bit version of Windows requires that you reformat your hard disk, install the 64. bit version of Windows, and then reinstall everything else that you had on your device.

Edited by john23

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

is it possible to prevent the system from automatically updating to the newer version, as i plan on keeping version 2004 that i currently use that works fairly well

if you prevent system automatically updating then you got some issue in the windows like as I am having some short issue with Chrome browser when I Open spreadsheet I got a message on the top of it, which says (this version of Google Chrome is no longer Supported. Please upgrade to the supported version) which I already had a newer version of Chrome But still I am getting this error message.

Edited by foxximan

On 5/23/2021 at 11:14 AM, UCyborg said:

in Win10 versions 20H2 & newer (latest one is 21H2 but 22H2 will be coming in autumn 2022), type this in the Run dialog box:

explorer.exe shell:::{BB06C0E4-D293-4f75-8A90-CB05B6477EEE}

saw that tip from this site

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 5:30 PM, foxximan said:

Hi everyone,

is it possible to prevent the system from automatically updating to the newer version, as i plan on keeping version 2004 that i currently use that works fairly well

On 8/15/2022 at 8:30 AM, foxximan said:

Hi everyone,

If you have Pro or a higher SKU you can set a target feature update in Group Policy. Would look similar to this in Local Computer Policy/Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update. Somewhere in that I believe it changed structure in Windows 11. Option should look similar to this:

image.png.61632d6f735aee0833f94eede2e470af.png

You set the target version to 2004 and it will not update from that. You can set it to anything really, and it will stay on that version or upgrade to it, even if it is EOL. Very powerful policy here.

• 2 weeks later...

My girlfriend has a Dell Inspiron 3580 notebook PC.  It came preinstalled with Build 1909.  Before I attempted fixing the machine, it was running REALLY Slow and I think she was running 21H2 or something.  We tried upgrading to Windows 11.  Still slow - big mistake.

So using the maintenance partition, I reset it back to the factory installed 1909 Home Edition.  It ran much MUCH faster.  I let the system upgrade to 20H2, and it slowed right down.

I would like to rollback to 1909, and have it stop there.  I would just install the remaining updates that came with 1909, and halt any further updates.

But is there any way to accomplish this on Home Edition?  I know that I can delay the update, but the Group Policy options are not available in Home Edition.

• 9 months later...

New theme-aware tiles in Start menu.

Improvements to Microsoft Edge. ...

New personalized out-of-box experience for the taskbar.

Improvements to notification experience as well as tablet experience for 2-in-1 PCs.