Win7 Pro SP1 64bit PC Developing Problem?

WalksInSilence

Not sure if this problem is a Win7 specific one or what it might be.

Ten days ago I had a blue screen on this desktop PC - first time ever. The machine has only been up and running for two and a half years although the components were all bought three years prior to that. Only non-factory new parts were an additional 2 x4GB Corsair XMS DDR3 1600Mhz modules which version matched exactly the two others I had fitted.

The BS occurred when just doing my normal weekly program updates, nothing unusual. As normal when I have any problem on any PC I scheduled a boot time CHKDSK scan and ran System File Checker. Never had any reported trouble when using either but this time I had a message about SFC not being able to fix a problem. The CBS log seemed to indicate some files had been repaired but a few others could not be as the source backup ones were also corrupt.

My 'solution' was to boot into Safe Mode, run a full anti-virus/anti-malware scan (both negative) and then use an earlier restore point. That all seemed to go OK.

However when I ran SFC again I received the same sort of message about not being able to fix some files (different from the previous log) and when I scheduled another boot time CHKDSK that, for the first time I'd seen, fixed a whole load of problems including resetting the whole USN Journal.

At boot I'm often now getting CHKDSK running because of a possible disc consistency problem. I've had the PC freeze twice now ie. nothing working, even Task Manager, forcing a power off reset. Other problems include tab crashing in my browser (never happened before) and even in Safe Mode its not immune to crashing and rebooting. In doing so it runs CHKDSK automatically to fix an issue or to check disc consistency.

Yesterday I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic just out of frustration and almost immediately it said there was a hardware issue detected. The scan went on and finished but the report didn't appeared on reboot and is nowhere to be found. I ran it again and same thing. It should be in the Event Viewer but whilst it shows the Windows Memory Diagnostic test as being scheduled the results are missing.

Does this mean I have a RAM module problem and that might explain everything else?

BTW just had another BS whilst writing this - CHKDSK ran automatically, no problems found.

Whatever is wrong I do not know where the problem is and how to fix it. Any suggestions appreciated.

Edited by WalksInSilence

• WalksInSilence changed the title to Win7 Pro SP1 64bit PC Developing Problem?

More than RAM, at first sight they seem more like disk issues.

What I would do:

1) remove all RAM modules and clean the contacts (with compressed air on the motherboard and with a rubber eraser on the actual modules), rest them.
2) replace the disk (SATA) cable (no, buts, no whys, no perhaps, no what if instead, no nothing, just replace it with a new one)
3) if the errors/problems continue to happen test the hard disk (or SSD) with the manufacturer's diagnostics and if these show anything different from "passed" or "no errors" replace it
4) test the memory with memtest, as well if anything is different from "perfect", try one stick at the time until you find the one(s) that do not pass the test and replace them

jaclaz 

I know jaclaz said no if or buts................................but if I replace the SSD ie. my primary C drive that surely really means reinstalling the OS doesn't it?

That's what I'd hope to avoid.

I'll see if I have the most recent minidump.file, I doubt as I use CCleaner out of habit after a long session and I think it clears minidumps by default. I do have the most recent CBS log if that is going to be of any help.

Are there any memory testing program that can be recommended?      

The no ifs/no buts was in point #2 about replacing the SATA cable, not the disk/ssd (which is conditional in point #3).

But there are no problems (normally) in cloning the disk to a new one or - better - making an image of it and then deploy the image to a new device, the result will be the old os/install running on a brand new device,no need to reinstalll, of course, unlike the SATA cables that has a trifling cost, the new device will have a cost.

The fact that you have CHKDSK autorunning means that you are experiencing some kind of filesystem corruption that could be due to any of:
1) some bad RAM contacts
2) a bad (SATA) cable (again  contacts)
3) a bad disk/ssd (for whatever reason, be it "weak" sectors on rotating media or bad cells on a SSD)
4) really bad RAM stick 

There is of course a 5th possibility, a virus, some other form of malware (but you already scanned your system with no such evidence) or even a driver that from time  to time"goes astray".

And - only for the record - a 6th one, which I didn't mention assuming that it was already excluded, that is thermal management (the processor, the graphic card and even the SSD or the RAM may overheat and create these semi-random issues).

In these latter cases the CHKDSK running is not due to mass storage devices, but rather to the forced reboot after the BSOD (unclean shutdown).

jaclaz

And a 7th possibility could be a power supply that is just beginning to fail. An iffy power supply could cause the same kinds of flaky performance and random issues as bad RAM contacts or disk cable contacts.

Cheers and Regards

Had something similar in 2013 . Turned out to be a defective RAM stick with 4GB capacity Kingston HyperBlu DDR3 1333Mhz Made in Taiwan. The PC had 4x4.

P.C.

@jaclaz is totally right about SATA cables , they may become bad overtime (high resistant) , or with loose contacts. Actually , I literally hate how weak they are.

On the thermal issue - doubt it is that; I have excellent cooling in place, I think on this particular PC two intake fans and two exhaust fans plus a 140mm on the CPU. Temperatures reported by RealTemp for all four i5 cores are reported at being under 30°C at the moment and that is typical for the time of year/ambient temperature. Speccy, although untrustworthy with some info because it hasn't been updated in years, does report temperatures accurately and the GPU is currently 24°C.

I followed up my own full AV/Malware scans with the use of a the most recent version of the Kaspersky Rescue (Live) Disc and did scan using that too - all clear.

Bad SATA cable: I suppose it might have detoriated but the PC has not been moved, jolted or dropped ever and all the SATA cables are best quality I could find and custom sheathed too.

I was thinking about trying a Windows repair - I have the original install disc and I think somewhere I have the Rufus created flash drive installer I actually used in this PC which had a lot of additional updates streamlined.

Good idea? I've never done a Windows repair so any advice welcomed.       

53 minutes ago, WalksInSilence said:

Good idea? I've never done a Windows repair so any advice welcomed.       

No, not a good idea IMHO.

My advice is don't do it, as it is pretty much unneeded.

56 minutes ago, WalksInSilence said:

Bad SATA cable: I suppose it might have detoriated but the PC has not been moved, jolted or dropped ever and all the SATA cables are best quality I could find and custom sheathed too.     

You see why I had to specify the no ifs/no buts? ;)

I mean, my original points #1 to #2 cost nothing or next to nothing in terms of money and nothing (like 1/2 hour or so) in terms of time, should they actually work :dubbio: and solve the issue, from #3 on they start costing both in money and time, a Windows repair on hardware that is presumably intermittently faulty (or on a filesystem that for *some reason* cannot be fixed by CHKDSK) is unlikely to be anything more than some wasted time (but of course it could also be resolutive, no way to know).  

jaclaz

I've been asking for advice on this on other forums and although I'm not ruling out other problems like those suggested here my inclination was to believe that it is a RAM issue. Actually quite pleased I'd at least come up with the idea it could be that myself.

Help from others suggested I run NirSoft's BlueScreen and another crash file analyzer and both reported the problem being ntoskrnl.exe (Windows NT operating system kernel). The most commonly cited fault in connection with this .exe is.............................. a memory problem, typically a RAM module failure.

That is what the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool hinted at and when I ran Memtest86 from disc it too reported multiple errors with the RAM. I've not tested each module yet but I suspect from the reported 'position' of the faults, repeated in each pass, as at around 9500MB, it is likely the third 4GB RAM module. That is probably the first of the two secondhand ones I fitted.

Further investigation and a useful YT video I found confirmed that a RAM module failure or often partial failure can lead to just the sort of random problems I have been experiencing from blue screens, to browser freezing or crashing. These incidents often occurred when I had several programs open so it does fit. The RAM module can still be reporting correctly in system monitoring programs if it is just a partial failure.

With this evidence testing the individual RAM modules and RAM MB slots first is the most sensible thing to do.

Edited by WalksInSilence

4 hours ago, WalksInSilence said:

I've been asking for advice on this on other forums and although I'm not ruling out other problems like those suggested here my inclination was to believe that it is a RAM issue....

I told ya it was RAM . You need to remove all and test with only one module inserted. BTW , RAM testing tools are not good in my opinion. I had a funny case when the guy that was checking my faulty RAM at the store had 100% good test results and then he just couldn't boot into windows ! I also remember some similar case when my DDR2 RAM module no. 1 developed a faulty sector after a couple weeks of usage in a brand new PC . As for the second hand items , never use them in a PC where you do something important . People just do not know how to handle such items , just don't . Most never heard of static electricity and UPS.

Edited by Dixel
Made a rookie typo because I was sleepy

4 hours ago, Dixel said:

People just do not know how to handle such items , just don't . Most never heard of static electricity and UPS.

IMHO DHL is much better. :w00t: ;) :buehehe:

jaclaz

14 hours ago, jaclaz said:

IMHO DHL is much better. :w00t: ;) :buehehe:

jaclaz

jaclaz , I'm terribly sorry . I was talking about Uninterrupitble Power Supply , not the {awful} company UPS . In my opinion, all private companies like DHL Express and UPS are very bad with their own "rules". If you are talking about DHL POST of Germany , then I agree - it is much, much better . I only had one broken box from them . Got damaged somewhere in Leipzig. But the goods (to my surprise) arrived in one piece.

EDIT : This is NOT because I don't like private property. I'm just stating the facts gathered from my friends , family and my personal encounters with these companies.

Edited by Dixel
had to clarify

5 minutes ago, Dixel said:

jaclaz , I'm terribly sorry . I was talking about Uninterrupitble Power Supply , not the {awful} company UPS . In my opinion, all private companies like DHL express and UPS are very bad with their own "rules". If you are talking about DHL POST of Germany , than I agree - it is much, much better . I only had one broken box from them . Got damaged somewhere in Leipzig. But the goods (to my surprise) arrived in one piece.

to me fedex is terrible where i live their always on the news for causing wrecks and falling off highway bridges

Edited by VistaEX

3 hours ago, VistaEX said:

to me fedex is terrible where i live their always on the news for causing wrecks and falling off highway bridges

Back to topic : using your PC without a good quality Uninterrupitble Power Supply may lead to damages due to spikes and the such , like this one.

P.S. Yes , agreed . I said all private companies . Fedex is a private company with their own stupid rules too . USPS works better , even with all their "minuses" . By the way , all those "independent" private companies use USPS trucks , for the most part. Just search how Amazon uses USPS trucks too. They don't have their own fleet of trucks and waggons.

Edited by Dixel
P.S>