Geforce GT 710 cards under Windows XP, Findings

gerwin

6 hours ago, Dixel said:

This driver will not crash, it's known to be stable with old cards/systems/boards.

iCafe 347.26 driver didnt crash with GT 710, but crashed GT 730 (which is natively supported). I believe 344.75 might be most stable driver for both.

I dont know why GT 710 is heating that much. it is weaker card comparing GT 730. while GT 730 getting hardly over 70C by heavy use (gaming), GT 710 jumps over 90C. I already replaced thermal paste. Maybe it is using more resource to be able handle graphics - struggling and heating the chip more than GT 730.

Edited by MinimumAttic410

What's the use of PhysX in games that this card can handle? That would be additional load on it. I do not know a single game that relies on PhysX, and don't have this bloat in Program Files.

8 hours ago, j7n said:

I do not know a single game that relies on PhysX,

Sacred 2 (2008) - but of course it can be disabled. Yet the bundle still needs to be installed. Rolling corpses and magic projectiles rely on Physx.

Much better than Diablo III.

21 hours ago, MinimumAttic410 said:

I dont know why GT 710 is heating that much. it is weaker card comparing GT 730. while GT 730 getting hardly over 70C by heavy use (gaming), GT 710 jumps over 90C. I already replaced thermal paste. Maybe it is using more resource to be able handle graphics - struggling and heating the chip more than GT 730.

Like I said, the revision B1 always runs hotter. Besides, you could simply get a a bad ASIC quality card.

over 90C is the max limit,  I think at 95 it should throttle down and reboot to try to save itself.

On 3/29/2024 at 6:38 PM, j7n said:

Don't you need CUDA to watch videos with GPU decoding?

No, you don't. DXVA2 is natively supported, You can combine it with CUDA, of course. H264 plays fine with DXVA2 up to 1080p. For H264 2160p or H265 8 bit you need to add CUDA to the mix*.

*If your CPU is weak.

Edited by Dixel

DXVA is Microsoft's way of accessing it. And DXVA2 exists to promote Windows Vista. MPC-HC gives a choice between DXVA and CUVID. I always choose the latter to not depend on Microsoft.

3 hours ago, j7n said:

DXVA is Microsoft's way of accessing it. And DXVA2 exists to promote Windows Vista. MPC-HC gives a choice between DXVA and CUVID. I always choose the latter to not depend on Microsoft.

It doesn't matter whether you use DXVA (XP) or DXVA2 (Vista), those two are specifically designated as "hardware video decode", Please see the screenshot.

3 hours ago, Dixel said:

CUVID. I always choose the latter to not depend on Microsoft.

And don't forget, CUDA wears out cards more quickly, as it keeps them at their highest clock rates.

The owner of GT710 had complained about high temps.

On 750 the temp rises in proportion to the utilization, even if the clock stays high. Seeking speed is very fast because it has the extra speed available when needed.

3 hours ago, j7n said:

On 750 the temp rises in proportion to the utilization, even if the clock stays high. Seeking speed is very fast because it has the extra speed available when needed.

GTX 750 is a rare, odd beast. It belongs to a different (newer) gen., despite being among the old Kepler 700 series, it explains the lower temps and better seeking perfectly fine.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-750.c1986

Edited by Dixel
link

6 hours ago, Dixel said:

Like I said, the revision B1 always runs hotter. Besides, you could simply get a a bad ASIC quality card.

over 90C is the max limit,  I think at 95 it should throttle down and reboot to try to save itself.

Yea but it is still poor card and low-profile, i would expect 710 runs cooler. reaching over 90C doesnt make sense at all. and NFS most wanted is not demanding game. it doesnt even support HD resolutions.

Edited by MinimumAttic410

17 hours ago, j7n said:

I do not know a single game that relies on PhysX, and don't have this bloat in Program Files.

12 hours ago, Dixel said:

German Sacred 2 (2008) - but of course it can be disabled. Yet the bundle still needs to be installed. Rolling corpses and magic projectiles rely on Physx.

Much better than Diablo III.

Silverfall 2006, the famous one, made in France! Available in English, too, runs on GT710 fine, uses Physx.