Audio Drivers Needed

justacruzr2

Well if there was nothing at all by way of sound from the hardware when you booted up, not even a faint click or pop, I would still be worried that the hardware isn't physically working, but I would be delighted to be proved wrong!
Do keep us up to date on your driver searches.
:)

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 4:42 PM, Dave-H said:

Well if there was nothing at all by way of sound from the hardware when you booted up, not even a faint click or pop, I would still be worried that the hardware isn't physically working, but I would be delighted to be proved wrong!
Do keep us up to date on your driver searches.

OK.  I installed KB888111 update which is the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio.  After the install the entry in Device Manager under Other Devices:  "PCI Device" with the Instance ID:
VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS_2A2B103C&REV_01 changed to "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" with the Instance ID: VEN_10EC&DEV_0882&SUBSYS_103C0000&REV_1001 and the Registry key is: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0882&SUBSYS_103C0000&REV_1001.  Solved one problem and created another one.  Actually this is probably a step in the right direction.  But something is still missing and I still have no sound.  Device Manager properties for this device, General tab, says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)".   Here is part of the logging in the setupapi log file generated by the install:

#I060 Set selected driver.
#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0882&subsys_103c0000&rev_1001,hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0882&subsys_103c0000
#-018 Searching for compatible ID(s): hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0882&rev_1001,hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0882,hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec,hdaudio\func_01
#-019 Searching for hardware ID(s): hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0882&subsys_103c0000&rev_1001,hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0882&subsys_103c0000
#-018 Searching for compatible ID(s): hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0882&rev_1001,hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec&dev_0882,hdaudio\func_01&ven_10ec,hdaudio\func_01
#-166 Device install function: DIF_SELECTBESTCOMPATDRV.
#W059 Selecting best compatible driver failed. Error 0xe0000228: There are no compatible drivers for this device.
#W157 Default installer failed. Error 0xe0000228: There are no compatible drivers for this device.

The "dev_0882" refers to the RealTek (ASUS) sound chip which is an ALC882 and I assume they mean there are no compatible drivers for this device included in this update.  It did install the following files which were never on this computer before (except for portcls.sys):

"c:\windows\driver cache\i386\portcls.sys"
"c:\windows\inf\hdaudbus.inf"
"c:\windows\inf\hdaudio.inf"
"c:\windows\system32\hdaprop.dll"
"c:\windows\system32\hdashcut.exe"
"c:\windows\system32\hdaudres.dll"
"c:\windows\system32\drivers\hdaudbus.sys"
"c:\windows\system32\drivers\hdaudio.sys"

I did read on the MS website in the article about the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio that all audio devices disclosed by vendors as of August 2004 are included in this update.  Is it possible that because this computer was released in 2005, the sound chip was also new and so was not included in this update?  I assumed that because a motherboard takes time to develop, that it would have been completed well before the release date and would have been disclosed in time to make this update.  I guess I could be wrong about that.  But now where do I go with this?  Seems like I need the update for this that came a little later.  Think I'll try the MgDX website.  They're a pretty good repository of all the old updates.  Unless you have another idea.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

This driver looks like a possibility.
Supports that device ID and is supposedly Windows XP compatible.
No guarantees, but worth a try!
:dubbio:

Thanks.  I just downloaded it but I'm at work so I'll have to wait till I get home tonight.  Something looks funny about it though.  The name is intel_4076288397182f .exe and the file size is a little over 86 Mb.  Seems a bit big for just a driver.  I hate that most of these driver download sites always want you to download their driver scan tool first before you can download.  It wastes my time and I don't trust them and I don't want their garbage on my computer

Yes, that really annoys me too, but it's sometimes the only option now to get hold of old drivers!
I don't trust those driver downloaders either, I always imagine that they're full of spyware at very least.

That file is almost certainly big because it includes control panel software, not just the driver.
If you can unpack the exe file you may well be able to install just the driver using an INF file in Device Manager.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Yes, that really annoys me too, but it's sometimes the only option now to get hold of old drivers!
I don't trust those driver downloaders either, I always imagine that they're full of spyware at very least.

That file is almost certainly big because it includes control panel software, not just the driver.
If you can unpack the exe file you may well be able to install just the driver using an INF file in Device Manager.

Yes and some of them are sneaky.  When you think you're downloading the file you need you are just getting another driver scan tool app.  Seen that several times when I click on "save as" and I see the name is not the name of what I clicked on.  I was also thinking that this might cover several different computers.  I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

Edited by justacruzr2
additional content

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

And one more thing about that.  I usually do this at work so scanning this computer isn't going to help at all.  Different brand and different OS.

20 hours ago, justacruzr2 said:

Yes and some of them are sneaky.  When you think you're downloading the file you need you are just getting another driver scan tool app.  Seen that several times when I click on "save as" and I see the name is not the name of what I clicked on.  I was also thinking that this might cover several different computers.  I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

OK.  Tried it last night and it didn't work.  Stopped during the install to let me know it's not the correct version.  It's for Vista(64) and 7 even though the readme file says for XP too.  I'm going to be unavailable for the next 4 days so please don't expect a response till Monday unless you respond today.  Thanks for all your help

Bummer.
One of the really big annoyances with finding XP drivers now is the number of sites which say that drivers are XP compatible, when in fact they're not!
:angry:
Did you look into unpacking the file and installing from the INF file?
There is just a slight chance that it's only the control panel software which won't run on XP, and the actual driver is OK.

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Bummer.
One of the really big annoyances with finding XP drivers now is the number of sites which say that drivers are XP compatible, when in fact they're not!
There is just a slight chance that it's only the control panel software which won't run on XP, and the actual driver is OK.

No I didn't try that.  When it didn't work I went on with installing other apps.  I'm almost done except for the audio problem and the correct driver for the modem.  I'll try it tonight and let you know Monday.  Have a good holiday.

PS  one thing just occurred to me.  I wonder if XP SP3 might have this fix in it.

Edited by justacruzr2
additional content

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 1:43 PM, Dave-H said:

Bummer.

OK, I tried your suggestion sort of.  There3 are about 30 inf's in that update.  I wasn't able to

determine which one was right.  The update says it's for Vista and 7 so I tried changing Current Version

registry entry from 5.1 to 6.0 but that didn't work either.  I think that the update isn't for my chip. 

So I'm thinking it may be time to bring it to a computer repair shop to have them find the right

drivers for that and the SM Bus.  I don't have any other ideas.  Thanks for trying.

It probably didn't work because your hardware ID isn't in any of the INF files.
Sometimes adding it will produce a working driver, but it's a very long shot in this case I suspect.
Changing the OS ID in the registry won't help in this scenario I'm afraid.
Good luck with taking a computer with XP on it to a repair shop!

This driver seems like a suitable match for the audio device in question: https://www.realtek.cz/download-driver-nr-447-for-realtek-ALC888-and-WindowsXP-32bit.html

On 12/19/2020 at 10:38 PM, justacruzr2 said:

VEN_8086&DEV_27DA&SUBSYS_2A2B103C&REV_01 is the SM Bus Controller.  That's got to do with the card reader.

It's got to do with motherboard's chipset (https://www.techwalla.com/articles/what-is-the-smbus-controller).

You can try: http://ftp.us.dell.com/chipset/R114079.EXE

Edited by UCyborg

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

This driver seems like a suitable match for the audio device in question: https://www.realtek.cz/download-driver-nr-447-for-realtek-ALC888-and-WindowsXP-32bit.html

It's got to do with motherboard's chipset (https://www.techwalla.com/articles/what-is-the-smbus-controller).

You can try: http://ftp.us.dell.com/chipset/R114079.EXE

Thanks.  I'll try them as soon as I can.  And I think Dave-H is right.  The Audio problem has to do with the RealTek HDAudio Manager (control panel).  I have found a few of them out there but they all say Vista and 7.  Is Vista that much different than XP?  Sometimes I think the only difference is a few extra or updated system files.  Something I've tried before and it seems to work most of the time is to get those extra files and put them in the system.  I have XP files in my ME system and they work just fine.  It's all coded in "C".  The only problem with that idea is I have to know what files it needs and the updates aren't all that forthcoming with what they are looking for.  Appreciate your help