Audio Drivers Needed

justacruzr2

The HD Audio Controller is a "PCI device" in the Intel chipset (alongside sata, usb) through which the "hd audio bus" device is accessed. To identify unknown devices, you could use a program that has a vendor database included, such as AIDA64/Everest (commercial trialware) - Devices->Physical,PCI, Unknown Devices PCI32 (old, out of date) or System Information Viewer (freeware) among others. Or throw drivers at them until one sticks. I like the above programs because they don't download random potentially unwanted drivers.

PCI bus 0, device 27, function 0 could be an audio device, but I am not certain. It's 27 on my systems, and the ID matches some integrated audio.

Edited by j7n

19 hours ago, Dave-H said:

My experience with motherboards with Intel chipsets and Realtek onboard audio is that the the analogue audio hardware appears in Device Manager as a Realtek device.

Did you try the "speaker test"?
:dubbio:

No.  I didn't get time last night but I will tonight.  I do know what you are talking about.  When Windows starts there's a momentary "pop" in the speakers in all my versions of Windows.  One other thing I didn't mention was that in Device Manager under Sound and Audio Devices all the codecs are there, just not the device that uses them.  So do I need to look for an Intel driver for the audio?

Edited by justacruzr2
additional content

Do you currently have this entry under System devices: Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definion Audio? If No, try installing it over the unknown device. There is no driver made by Intel, only that comes from Microsoft. If Yes, then I don't know. Try to find how the sound card is disabled, and identify the remaining devices.

21 hours ago, justacruzr2 said:

No.  I didn't get time last night but I will tonight.  I do know what you are talking about.  When Windows starts there's a momentary "pop" in the speakers in all my versions of Windows.  One other thing I didn't mention was that in Device Manager under Sound and Audio Devices all the codecs are there, just not the device that uses them.  So do I need to look for an Intel driver for the audio?

I'm pretty sure that the codecs are listed anyway, even if there is actually no functional audio hardware to take advantage of them.
Do try the speaker test, as if there is no sound at all from them, even a faint click or pop, when the machine starts up I think it's very likely that the audio hardware is non-functional.
:)

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 6:34 AM, j7n said:

The HD Audio Controller is a "PCI device" in the Intel chipset (alongside sata, usb) through which the "hd audio bus" device is accessed. To identify unknown devices, you could use a program that has a vendor database included, such as AIDA64/Everest (commercial trialware) - Devices->Physical,PCI, Unknown Devices PCI32 (old, out of date) or System Information Viewer (freeware) among others. Or throw drivers at them until one sticks. I like the above programs because they don't download random potentially unwanted drivers.

PCI bus 0, device 27, function 0 could be an audio device, but I am not certain. It's 27 on my systems, and the ID matches some integrated audio.

Thanks.  That's what I suspected since some of my searching landed me on a page that said some audio chips are implemented as a PCI device.  That pretty much confirms it.

4 hours ago, Dave-H said:

I'm pretty sure that the codecs are listed anyway, even if there is actually no functional audio hardware to take advantage of them.
Do try the speaker test, as if there is no sound at all from them, even a faint click or pop, when the machine starts up I think it's very likely that the audio hardware is non-functional.

OK.  Tried that test last night and I didn't hear any pop.  But I can't be sure the speaker jack was the right one.  There are so many audio outputs on this baby.

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 1:31 PM, j7n said:

Do you currently have this entry under System devices: Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definion Audio? If No, try installing it over the unknown device. There is no driver made by Intel, only that comes from Microsoft. If Yes, then I don't know. Try to find how the sound card is disabled, and identify the remaining devices.

No. it's not on my system.  Also it's not a sound card.  It's definitely onboard but apparently implemented as a PCI device.  That changes the nature of this.

11 hours ago, jaclaz said:

The VEN_8086&DEV_27D8

is seemingly another ID for the generic  "PCI\CC_0403"

see:

https://github.com/DriverPackSolution/DP_Sound_Others/blob/master/5x86/UAA/FORCED/fix.inf

but no idea how exactly to use that "fix" or how to install the file outside the drp.su:

https://drp.su/en

jaclaz

I just checked out the site but I don't have the instance ID's with me today.  I'll have to do it tomorrow.  It does look promising.  Thanks.

Just try to Update the driver on the device, From specific location, choose where hdaudbus.inf is. And see if a real sound card is then detected. Nothing to lose. I won't post anymore, as I can't seem to say it differently.

1 hour ago, justacruzr2 said:

OK.  Tried that test last night and I didn't hear any pop.  But I can't be sure the speaker jack was the right one.  There are so many audio outputs on this baby.

The jack which feeds a simple pair of stereo speakers is normally coloured green.
If you connect to that and hear nothing, I am very afraid that the hardware could be dead.
I thought the audio hardware being on the PCI bus was quite normal, but I'm not an expert on the architecture of motherboards.

Edited by Dave-H
Typo

20 hours ago, j7n said:

Just try to Update the driver on the device, From specific location, choose where hdaudbus.inf is. And see if a real sound card is then detected. Nothing to lose. I won't post anymore, as I can't seem to say it differently.

Will do.

20 hours ago, Dave-H said:

The jack which feeds a simple pair of stereo speakers is normally coloured green.
If you connect to that and hear nothing, I am very afraid that the hardware could be dead.
I thought the audio hardware being on the PCI bus was quite normal, but I'm not an expert on the architecture of motherboards.

OK.  Then I had it in the right jack.  It was colored light green like my other computer.  On this one they don't print the name of what connects to it just a symbol.  But it does seem that the system sees there's something there.  I'm going to try what j7n said before I give up and get a sound card.  Apprecite all your help.

There was no sound.  But the system does see the audio device there...it just can't use it because there's no bus driver.  Here's some more of what I found out there:

VEN_8086&DEV_27D8&SUBSYS_2A2B103C&REV_01
Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio

And I have found a website that has it for download.  Only problem right now is that I get an error code that the websites server is having a problem so I can't download it right now.  At least that solves this problem....when their server is back up.

Also this:

VEN_14F1&DEV_2F20&SUBSYS_200C14F1&REV_00 is the Conexant D850 PCI V.92 Modem driver.  That shouldn't be too hard to find.

And this:

VEN_8086&DEV_27DA&SUBSYS_2A2B103C&REV_01 is the SM Bus Controller.  That's got to do with the card reader.

But this one ACPI\AWY0001\2&daba3ff&0 could be a problem.  Searching Google shows a lot of people have this problem.  I'm searching for a solution but right now this doesn't seem to be causing a problem.  Only thing I notice different between XP on the eMachines and XP on the HP is when I hit the Turn Off Computer button on the Start Menu, the choices on the eMachines are Hibernate/Turn Off/Restart and on the HP they are Stand By/Turn Off/Restart..  ACPI is the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface and that might have something to do with those choices on the HP.

I did install the drivers for the Hauppage TV Tuner Card and that has come off the list of problem devices.