Read GPT hard disk on Windows XP

Cixert

Be warned, all those ASM 10xx gave me a huge framerate drop and overloaded my whole PCI BUS. For example, I couldn't normally watch a film (choppy) while copying big files through that card.

Thanks again @Andalu for the incredibly detailed response!

Thanks @D.Draker too for the warning, I guess all I can do is try it and see!

Although it's not physically identical to the one you showed @Andalu is this the right card?

The cards aren't particularly cheap, but that's a StarTech one, and I've always found their hardware very well-made and reliable.
It's no coincidence that the 3TB drive is actually in a StarTech enclosure!
:yes:

4 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Be warned, all those ASM 10xx gave me a huge framerate drop and overloaded my whole PCI BUS. For example, I couldn't normally watch a film (choppy) while copying big files through that card.

Thank you for the report. So far I have not encountered similar problems when copying a large amount of data, but a problem can always occur as I reported a few posts ago.

At the moment there are not many alternatives to ASM10xx cards for @Dave-H (unless he intends to try the asahci32 driver for the intel controller, but he has already commented on this).

In any case, to have the ability to access a GPT disk in XP, I think a compromise can also be found.

Edited by Andalu

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Thanks again @Andalu for the incredibly detailed response!

Although it's not physically identical to the one you showed @Andalu is this the right card?

The cards aren't particularly cheap, but that's a StarTech one, and I've always found their hardware very well-made and reliable.

You are welcome! :cool:

The board is the one in the link, although it is not the cheapest. It is a bit different from mine, which has the two internal sata ports on the top, but the chipset is the same.

Even for the Startech card you need to configure jumpers.

Hopefully, everything will go smoothly :)

OK, I ordered the ASMedia card.
Hopefully I will have it early next week and I can give it a try.
It comes with a half height bracket, so I hope with the extender it can go into the spare PCI-X slot space on my machine, even though it will be hanging in mid-air!
:D

23 hours ago, Dave-H said:

You are welcome! I bought mine in 2018 for 7 bucks (including shipping) off ebay. Looks identical. The price went up, but I'm sure it's still no that high as shown at that UK shop.

Just a quick update.
My card arrived yesterday, and turned out to be completely the wrong one.
They've sent me a StarTech PCI-E card with no eSATA ports, just two SATA ports, which is useless to me of course!
I also don't have the PCI-E extender yet either, but hopefully I will have that in a few days.
When I get that, and the right card, I can go forward with this.
Cheers, Dave.
:)

3 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Just a quick update.
My card arrived yesterday, and turned out to be completely the wrong one.
They've sent me a StarTech PCI-E card with no eSATA ports, just two SATA ports, which is useless to me of course!
I also don't have the PCI-E extender yet either, but hopefully I will have that in a few days.
When I get that, and the right card, I can go forward with this.
Cheers, Dave.
:)

Refund and buy a much cheaper (but the same) off Ebay?

Thanks @jaclaz!
You don't call yourself "The Finder" here any more, but you should do!
I never saw that when I was searching last week.

If the people I've already ordered from can't actually supply what I want, I will certainly get a refund from them and probably buy that.
One slight worry is that it doesn't look as if it necessarily comes with a half height bracket, which I will need if I'm going to mount it in the machine the way I want to.
:dubbio:

4 hours ago, jaclaz said:

My guess :w00t: is that the one Andalu has is similar to this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165040641302

(a tad bit cheaper :whistle:, if it is the right card :dubbio:)

jaclaz

My card is just that, I paid 15.12€ on amazon.it and it doesn't have the small bracket.

But the board I prefer is the one with the two external eSATAp ports mentioned some posts ago. I got it because of the boot selector in the hope that it would allow you to boot directly from it. This did not work on the MSI 590 but on the Asus Z790 it works fine. I installed the XP ISO on the SSD connected to the ASMedia card via eSATAp cable and now I can choose to boot XP from the external disk as if it were a USB drive. As shown in the image below the Intel sata controller drivers were not even installed:
XP-on-ASMedia-sata-controller.png

I think it is certainly a very handy solution: boot from external SSD with GPT disk recognition.

However, its cost is almost twice as much as the first mentioned card (it costs less on aliexpress but you have to wait a month or so to get it) to which one must also add that of the eSATAp cable (about 8€).

2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

LOL! Unfortunately, I don't think that option will work, as the holes for the eSATA ports will still be in the same place on the bracket.
It's the top bit of the bracket which would need to be 'trimmed' to raise the board clear of the socket below it, and of course if you do that you can't screw it to the case!
I'm sure you weren't being serious anyway......... :dubbio:
:D

6 minutes ago, Andalu said:

My card is just that, I paid 15.12€ on amazon.it and it doesn't have the small bracket.

But the board I prefer is the one with the two external eSATAp ports mentioned some posts ago. I got it because of the boot selector in the hope that it would allow you to boot directly from it. This did not work on the MSI 590 but on the Asus Z790 it works fine. I installed the XP ISO on the SSD connected to the ASMedia card via eSATAp cable and now I can choose to boot XP from the external disk as if it were a USB drive. As shown in the image below the Intel sata controller drivers were not even installed:
XP-on-ASMedia-sata-controller.png

I think it is certainly a very handy solution: boot from external SSD with GPT disk recognition.

However, its cost is almost twice as much as the first mentioned card (it costs less on aliexpress but you have to wait a month or so to get it) to which one must also add that of the eSATAp cable (about 8€).

Is that the one I've ordered?
:dubbio: