I think Aero Glass should be open source. Here's why.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Perhaps another option could be to include a few other devs who can help squash bugs and prep AG for upcoming Windows builds while keeping the paradigm the same. Of course, these devs would need to agree and be trusted by @bigmuscle but this could be a sensible middle ground.

Edited by emkay85
  • Like 1

@cdoublejj Technically, you are correct. However, if he has the full copyright, which he states in his license, it means that he can do whatever the f he wants with it. So this would only apply if he'd be commiting a crime with this software :p

• 2 months later...

Some folks may be being a bit naïve here...

Hypothetically speaking, what if an author of unsanctioned software became legally compelled not to reveal his algorithms (nor to reveal even a hint that he is so compelled)?  It is clearly NOT allowed to reverse engineer any part of Windows.  Microsoft's wealthy; their reach is long. 

Hate to say it, but the arrangement of the electrons in your SSD is not yours; ignore the rules at your peril, especially if you influence others.  Everyone has to live in this world and no one can remain anonymous, especially not if there are financial transactions involved.  Business law is arguably the most powerful branch of law.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+many+lawyers+are+employed+by+Microsoft

Think for a moment about software that flies in the face of Microsoft's Marketing, who absolutely want THEIR system to look a certain way WITHOUT any augmenting tools by meddling hackers.  They HAD Aero Glass, which worked great with GPUs far less powerful than the ones we have now, and they eliminated it ON PURPOSE.  Not because they found it difficult to do technically, but because a change in look and feel are important to marketers (who, by definition are paid to manipulate customers).  They have an agenda and their goals may not be even close to what most folks think they are or should be.

Also, when Windows fails, who do you think provides support (however nearly impossible it is to get and useless it may be)?  Even someone having to download their own new copy of Windows and re-activate costs Microsoft, who run the servers and pay for the internet access.  And what about good will?  If you add something questionable to your copy of Windows, then post online "what a POS Windows is when it keeps crashing", who's paying for even one potential customer who read that and didn't buy (or delayed buying) a license?  Microsoft hating seems common, but it's still not good for Microsoft.  Why do you think the big companies keep edging toward walled-garden App Stores?  More control, less cost.

I believe we've seen the end of an era.  Thanks, Big Muscle, for all you did to ease the pain of transition from something elegant to something else.  RIP, Windows 8 and earlier.

-Noel

@NoelC
Excuse me, but is is possible you replied to the wrong thread? I don't see why changing this tool from closed to open source would change ANYTHING for Microsoft. If this tool has been developed by clean room reverse engineering, which bigmuscle states he did,  there's nothing Microsoft could do about it. And why should they? It's not like this tool becoming open source would suddenly hurt Microsoft. Like, at all. If anything, big muscle currently sells an app based on Microsoft's design.

> but because a change in look and feel are important to marketers

It was actually done simply because a gaussian blur effect and other 3D effects are very resource hungry. If you look closer, you'll see that Windows 8's design is just a (in a few places made boxier) small variation from Windows 7, at least in terms of traditional Windows apps. The desicion to remove the aero was made pretty much at the end of development, *probably* because that's when they began optimizing it for tablets in terms of performance. See:

• Like 1

MS is putting Acrylic into so many parts of the OS that we really don't need Aeroglass any more.  Windows looks just fine without it, and the development of Aeroglass has always been at least one year behind development of Windows so I, even having donated, haven't used it in years.

On 11/25/2020 at 12:45 PM, dhjohns said:

MS is putting Acrylic into so many parts of the OS that we really don't need Aeroglass any more.  Windows looks just fine without it, and the development of Aeroglass has always been at least one year behind development of Windows so I, even having donated, haven't used it in years.

Yeah I stopped using it a few builds ago when it stopped getting updated. I liked it, sure. Great app. But now I use Curtains which does just what I need. Shame really that MS just wont put acrylic into the things we want lol.