[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

True, what a shame that ETDUI.cpl wasn't included in the Lenovo driver!
Still, the customised INF still has to be supplied somehow, and the necessary setup.ini, so why not ETDUI.cpl as well, or is that not good practice to include additional binaries?
:dubbio:

Edited by Dave-H
Addition

12 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

True, what a shame that ETDUI.cpl wasn't included in the Lenovo driver!
Still, the customised INF still has to be supplied somehow, and the necessary setup.ini, so why not ETDUI.cpl as well, or is that not good practice to include additional binaries?
:dubbio:

I don't know.

The .inf ('s) and setup.ini once zipped will be what? 50 KB or less and can be posted as direct attachment in a new, final thread without issues.

The ETDUI.cpl is some 6-7 MB, zips to 2 MB.

I don't see problems about redistributability of the files, the only limitation in the EULA you get when you run Setup is about the need to use them with Elan hardware (as if they had *any* use with *any* other hardware ;)).

So, in theory we could provide the whole set of driver files (in both versions)  the problem - as often happens - is where to upload it so that is accessible (in a "stable" manner).

jaclaz

9 hours ago, jaclaz said:

HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\DriverOption",DualModePSTModuleType,%REG_DWORD%,3 <- this is 1 on the Samsung, description is ; 1 = NXP, 2 = STek, 3 = ELAN3003

This seems to specify the trackpoint controller chip.

9 hours ago, jaclaz said:

(in this - in order to avoid the double clicking on the tray icon to open the mouse control panel without any "Elan" or "Touchpad" tab) it would maybe possible to disable the tray Icon, you will have to try if this works (it is in the Samsung driver .inf):
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\OtherSetting",IconType,%REG_DWORD%,2 ; 0 = Dynamic Trayicon, 1 = Static Trayicon, 2 = Do Not Display Trayicon

@Dave-H could you check if setting this to 0 (Dynamic Trayicon) works? You should get an animated icon that shows where you touch the touchpad.

7 hours ago, jaclaz said:

So, in theory we could provide the whole set of driver files (in both versions)  the problem - as often happens - is where to upload it so that is accessible (in a "stable" manner).

How about archive.org?

Edited by RainyShadow

5 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

Yes and no. :dubbio:

"PST" seems to be related elsewhere to the PointSTick (the little thing - usually red - that is in the middle of the keyboard)

5 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

How about archive.org?

Good idea. :)

jaclaz

9 hours ago, RainyShadow said:

@Dave-H could you check if setting this to 0 (Dynamic Trayicon) works? You should get an animated icon that shows where you touch the touchpad.

How about archive.org?

Yes, there has always been a choice, on the Mouse Properties tab, to disable the system tray icon, have a static Elan branded icon (this option is not present when in "Samsung" mode), or a dynamic icon which animates when the touchpad is in use. The latter is the default. This part has always worked fine.
:yes:

Just out of interest, I tried zipping up all the files needed for an installation with just the Elan control panel, so no AVI video files or extra control panel files, and it came out at about 10MB, which doesn't seem too bad. That included ETDUI.cpl to add access to the Elan control panel in the Windows Control Panel. Also all of the multi-lingual licence files.
One problem with not archiving this completely and offering it as a new complete file source is that we are at the moment depending on that Lenovo driver being available to download.
If that ever gets pulled the new driver will be useless as that's the only source of the 11.4.14.1 driver files that it depends on, as far as we know.
:)

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Yes, there has always been a choice, on the Mouse Properties tab, to disable the system tray icon, have a static Elan branded icon (this option is not present when in "Samsung" mode), or a dynamic icon which animates when the touchpad is in use. The latter is the default. This part has always worked fine.
:yes:

Always here means "ONLY when UI_ThemeOption=0" :whistle:

And now, for no apparent reason, a new test :w00t:

IF the issue is that with this (or that) setting the key changed by ETDSimpleUI changes between:

1) HKLM\Software\Elantech\Smartpad\Tap_Enable

and:

2) HKLM\Software\Elantech\Smartpad\Tap_One_Finger_Enable

BUT only the former actually affects the driver behaviour, THEN what about making the second a link to the first?

(or the first a link to the second) :unsure:

https://github.com/tenox7/regln

Please note how here (in my half-@§§edly installed driver) the ETDSimpleUI accesses and saves settings in HKCU, not HKLM. (and regln cannot be used on HKCU)

About hosting it, if we put it on archive.org, there won't be size limits.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Always here means "ONLY when UI_ThemeOption=0"

Well yes of course, I was only making the point that when available the different icon choices have always worked, even when the driver itself actually isn't working!
:D

I'm afraid that all the driver settings registry information on my system is in HKCU as well, there is nothing in HKLM.

:no:

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Well yes of course, I was only making the point that when available the different icon choices have always worked, even when the driver itself actually isn't working!

I was asking if the animated icon was actually, ummm... animated :P

8 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Yes and no. :dubbio:

"PST" seems to be related elsewhere to the PointSTick (the little thing - usually red - that is in the middle of the keyboard)

PointSTick = TrackPoint :P  What is the "no" part?

(i've seen you use the word "trackpad" before, maybe confused this for that?)

NXP doesn't make laptop touchpad chips AFAIK. They make touch keypads and other stuff though.

This looks interesting...

I was asking if the animated icon was actually, ummm... animated :P

Sorry I misunderstood, there was no animation of course if the driver wasn't working!
:D

OK, so it is HKCU.

I am still confused, here the ETDSimpleUI.exe always changes HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_One_Finger_Enable

Try the following,

Run regmon using as "include" only "HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\".

Set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\UIFunctionOption\UI_Theme to 5

Run ETDSimpleUI.

Check and uncheck the "Tapping" (first top left).

It should change the HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_One_Finger_Enable.

Now change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\UIFunctionOption\UI_Theme to 0

Reboot or stop the driver/etdctrl.exe etc.

Run ETDSimpleUI.

Check and uncheck the "Tapping" (first top left).

It should STILL change the HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_One_Finger_Enable or does it instead change the HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\TapEnable?

OR the difference is then that the driver *somehow* reads the HKCU\Software\Elantech\SmartPad\Tap_One_Finger_Enable only when the UI_Theme is 5? :dubbio:

jaclaz

@RainyShadow

Yes, it is related to the trackpoint.

No, the trackpoint is called pointstick (but not everywhere, in spots), in the .inf:

PointStick UI Default Section

[ETD_PSTUI.AddReg]
; Button
HKLM,"%ServiceRoot%\Elantech\PointStick"

BUT IF you set UI_Theme to 8 :w00t:

The added tab to the Mouse Control Panel is called "ThinkPad" and it is divided into two panes, on the left "TouchPad" (not TrackPad, which is what is called SmartPad elsewhere[1]) settings and on the right "TrackPoint" settings.

BTW changing settings on the right side panel it accesses keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPad *like*:

TP_LeftButton_Height

AND

PST_LeftButton_Height

I will re-state how I am confused, but surely the good Elan guys were more confused than me.

jaclaz

[1] but in other parts of the Registry, it is called ClickPad ...

@Dave-H

When you have a moment, can you export to a .reg file your:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech

keys (and post/attach them)?

jaclaz

17 minutes ago, jaclaz said:

BTW changing settings on the right side panel it accesses keys in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Elantech\SmartPad *like*:

TP_LeftButton_Height

AND

PST_LeftButton_Height

On many laptops with a pointstick there are two sets of buttons - above and under the touchpad. The top ones are often part of the keyboard and are usually associated with the pointstick and not the touchpad.

9 minutes ago, RainyShadow said:

On many laptops with a pointstick there are two sets of buttons - above and under the touchpad. The top ones are often part of the keyboard and are usually associated with the pointstick and not the touchpad.

Sure :), but you missed the implied irony :w00t:,

Notwithstanding that there is a key *like*:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\PointStick

Those two kind of settings (BOTH of them) are instead in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Elantech\SmartPad

And if we know that in:

PST_LeftButton_Height

PST means PointSTick, what does:

TP_LeftButton_Height

TP means?  TrackPad or TrackPoint? :dubbio:

... the people building the Tower of Babel were kids in comparison ... ;)

jaclaz