[SOLVED] Elan PS/2 Touchpad Driver for XP

Dave-H

OK, I've done the install on XP.
The first thing that pops up on the reboot is from ETDCtrl.exe "The procedure entry point InitializeCriticalSectionEx could not be located in the dynamic link library Kernel32.dll".
The mouse is an "Elan Input Device", but says "The driver may be corrupted or missing (Code 39)."
The touchpad is dead.
:(

Try replacing the ETDCtrl.exe with the one from "Touchpad_Elantech_Win7_32_Z11521.zip".

You will probaly find other .exe's or .dll's that will do the same or similar and the only thing you can do is to try replacing them with the corresponding one from  the  "Touchpad_Elantech_Win7_32_Z11521.zip".

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

ETDCtrl.exe is now running in the background, and there are no error messages popping up now.

The touchpad is still dead though and the Device Manager still shows the error.

Should I uninstall and reinstall again with ETDCtrl.exe replaced in the installation folder?
:dubbio:

2 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Good (meaning bad) so, since the  Asus_UI_Win8.exe has not a provision (that I could see) to change the setting you want to change, you will need to edit the Registry. :dubbio:

jaclaz

Incidentally, I meant to say that the option to disable tap to click is called "Select", under the "One Finger" options on the Asus control panel.
:)

Found something puzzling now trying to uninstall the driver in XP.
Selecting "Remove" on its entry in Add/Remove Programs now does nothing!

Also, the OS version on ETD.sys hasn't been changed, it's not marked to be changed in the spreadsheet.
Should it be?

I removed the driver just by rolling back the registry to the "clean" version, and manually deleting all the files.
The reason it wouldn't uninstall is because the uninstall routine needs to run ETDUn_inst.exe, which is not XP compatible and throws the same error as ETDCtrl.exe did when the uninstall string is run manually. Why it didn't show the error when invoked from Add/Remove Programs I don't know.

Anyway, I reinstalled with the substitute ETDCtrl.exe, and having modified ETD.sys with CFF Explorer.
No difference, exactly as before,
:(

11 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Found something puzzling now trying to uninstall the driver in XP.
Selecting "Remove" on its entry in Add/Remove Programs now does nothing!

Also, the OS version on ETD.sys hasn't been changed, it's not marked to be changed in the spreadsheet.
Should it be?

No, as we have seen that also the "old" versions, "surely" working on XP such as the Z10052 are also 6.1/6.1/6.1.

Why do you have uninstalled it?

Anyway, you can try replacing all the files originally 6.0 with the corresponding ones from Z11521:

ETDApix.dll
ETDCmds.dll
ETDCtrl.exe
ETDCtrlHelper.exe
ETDFavorite.dll
ETDMcpl.dll
ETDService.exe

And also (but this should only affect install/uninstall):
ETDUninst.dll
ETDUn_inst.exe
Setup.exe

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

I only uninstalled it and reinstalled it because I thought it might produce a different result if I replaced the files in the installation source folder rather than directly in the Program Files folder.
Clutching at straws of course, and it didn't do any good!

Anyway, I've now copied those files from the 11.5.2.1 installation folder to the Program Files folder, and restored the original unmodified ETD.sys.
Still no difference I'm afraid, still the same error in Device Manager, and a dead touchpad.

The uninstall routine works again now anyway!

Hmmm.

What I still find "difficult" to believe :w00t: is that the Z11509 and the Z11521 "as they are" do not work (in 8.1).

I mean, if we had *only* the Z11509 containing the ETD0108, it could have been a "glitch" or a mistake of some kind, but since we have both:

Z11509 dated 29/07/2012

AND

Z11521 dated 21/09/2012

with the ET0108 as "ETD_STD_Inst" it would be strange that the eventual error has not been noticed in two months and "perpetuated".

Besides, we have an earlier driver, the Z10590, dated  20/02/2012 where the ETD0108 is already mentioned BUT assimilated to the ETD0107.

So - somehow - the ETD0108 "existed" at least since early 2012[1] and by July 2012 it was "promoted" to ETD_STD_Inst.

I seem to remember :unsure: that you never tried to install the Z11521 "as is" to the 8.1.

Maybe you could try that, first without modifying anything, and then again modifying the .inf replacing "NTx86.6.2" with "NTx86.6.3", just  in case.

jaclaz

[1] As a side note, the "divorce" between XP and 7 seems like having happened between the Z10560 (which is named for XP) and Z10590 (which is named for 7. AND that has for the first time the ETF0108 in the .inf), so, it is possible that - notwithstanding the 5.1 Major/minor versions, there are other reasons why anything after Z10560 won't run in XP (hence the need for tracing, finding dependencies, etc.) and - coincidentally - only drivers after Z10560 have a provision for ETD0108.

Well I'm pretty sure that I only ever got two versions of the "normal" Elan driver working on 8.1 (disregarding the later Asus Smart Gesture versions, which work of course).
Originally it was just 15.14.4.1 (and even that only when installed through Device Manager, not by the normal installation process) and later we found 11.5.20.3, which also installed, which was quite a breakthrough at the time I'd pretty much given up on any version 11 working on 8.1.

I'll give 11.5.2.1 another go with the INF modified to see if I get the same result.
It could be that it failed on a normal install the first time, and I hadn't realised then that installing via Device Manager could still work.

OK, I tried on 8.1 with 11.5.2.1 again.

A normal unmodified install appeared to work OK, but the the control panel cannot be invoked using the system tray icon, which is "dead" (it doesn't show any animation when a finger is moved on the touchpad or the buttons pressed, as it should do).
I tried with Device Manger and changed the mouse from "Elan PS/2 Port Smart-Pad" to "Elan PS/2 Port Input Device", which is what makes 11.5.20.3 work IIRC.
No difference.
"Elan Service", "ETD Control Center", ETD Control Center Helper" and "ETD Gesture" are all running in Task Manager.
Directly editing the settings in the registry makes no difference.

I then tried again with the INF file modified, just replacing "NTx86.6.2" with "NTx86.6.3".
Same result.

Version 11.5.20.3 has a much bigger equivalent section in its INF file, with separate sections for 8, 8.1, and 10 (which it amusingly calls "NTx86.6.4" of course!)
I wonder if 11.5.2.1 would work with that INF file?

It is queer.

Anyway, you can try, make a copy of the Z11521 and paste to it only the ETD.inf from Z115203-cab.

In the meantime, I found yet another possible missing link between Neanderthal and Sapiens :w00t:

Download this:

https://drp.su/en/devices/inputdev/elan/elan-touchpad?os=windows-xp-x86

http://dl.drp.su/driverpacks/repack/Touchpad_Elan/Elan/Allx86/OEM_nb/Medion_11.2.2.1/Elan-Allx86-OEM_nb-Medion_11.2.2.1-drp.zip

Of course - being NOT an "Asus intended" driver - it has NO provisions for ETD0108, but the file versions are interesting, see the new, attached spreadsheet.

Versions are extremely near to the ones in Z115203-cab, but all .exe's/.dll's are 5.1 exception made for:

Apix.dll <- which unfortunately should be relevant

ETDCoInstaller.dll <- that might - hopefully - be unneeded/irrelevant

ETDDeviceInformation.exe <- which surely is unneeded/irrelevant

So, next try is using:
the ETD.inf, ETD.sys, ETD.cat, and ASUS_UI*,exe from Z115203-cab

all the other files from "Medion"

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Trying to install 11.5.2.1 with the INF from 11.5.20.3 doesn't work, the install fails.

Incidentally, all of these drivers when they are uninstalled, the uninstall routine does not remove ETD.sys (or AsusTD.sys) from the system32\drivers folder.
Rather sloppy I would have thought! I've taken to always removing it manually, to make sure that it does get replaced.

Anyway, I'll give that other driver you've found a try.
:yes:

5 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

No joy I'm afraid, the install fails.
No reason given.
:no:

Yep, here is where you need to trace a working install and compare to the failed one.

Still, you can try to install the Z115203-cab "normally" and then (offline) replace the .exe and .dll's with the 5.1 version ones from the Medion.

jaclaz

Is it possible that driver signing could be an issue?

I've found that some drivers won't run if not signed properly.  Of course, this is on 64-bit Windows, which i believe has a somewhat stricter driver signing policy than 32-bit.

c