[WIP] Windows Vista Extended Kernel

win32

58 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Hi@win32, for the first time a small issue with the kernel, short story, I had to install an update KB4499184, to be able to run a game, now open/save dialog doesn't work in most apps, chrome for example. 

This is with all kernels, but currently I'm on v06102022. I also have the platform and DX11 update, that's all. Thanks for looking into this.

Does it affect both 32-bit and 64-bit programs, or only affects either 32-bit or 64-bit? Have you also tried the March 2023 builds after installing KB4499184 update?

58 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Hi@win32, for the first time a small issue with the kernel, short story, I had to install an update KB4499184, to be able to run a game, now open/save dialog doesn't work in most apps, chrome for example. 

This is with all kernels, but currently I'm on v06102022. I also have the platform and DX11 update, that's all. Thanks for looking into this.

Does it affect both 32-bit and 64-bit programs, or only affects either 32-bit or 64-bit? Have you also tried the March 2023 builds after installing KB4499184 update?

1 hour ago, Dixel said:

Because I also experienced the same thing, but only affects 32-bit programs, I'm using March 2023 builds, and not installed that update yet

Edited by Brickedandroid

3 hours ago, Brickedandroid said:

Yes, I tried all kernels, including March, all is fine, except this smal issue, I have only a handful of 32 bit apps, and MKVToolNix 32 bit works fine. So I can't say for sure, but it seems it's something wrong with shell32.dll. Maybe it doesn't match the newer versions, but it's strange, because that update is from May 2019.

5 hours ago, Brickedandroid said:

UPDATE: I uninstalled KB4499184 (that caused the issue), rebooted, but the issue is still there. Very strange.

KB4499184 is a preview (read: beta) of the May 2019 update. I assume that comdlg32 is the source of the problem since that's where the dialogs are located. I'll see if I can reproduce this.

8 minutes ago, win32 said:

KB4499184 is a preview (read: beta) of the May 2019 update. I assume that comdlg32 is the source of the problem since that's where the dialogs are located. I'll see if I can reproduce this.

Preview updates are actually unworth

15 hours ago, win32 said:

win32, thank you for the quick response, I tried all monthly rollups (non-beta), basically any update, besides the well known April 09 [all them] lead to this issue. Even these ones.

March 12, 2019—KB4489880 (Monthly Rollup)

February 12, 2019—KB4487023 (Monthly Rollup)

But I have poor performance with the April 09 rollup (spectrum "fix"?), so I have no choice. 

If in uninstall all of them and revert back to the state before, reboot, the issue is still there. Very strange.

On 7/22/2023 at 6:06 AM, Brickedandroid said:

I also experienced the same thing, but only affects 32-bit programs, I'm using March 2023 builds, and not installed that update yet

What update level are you on? 

23 hours ago, win32 said:

I'll see if I can reproduce this.

Found an easy and fast way to replicate

SP2 with nothing, except:

Install in  order

1 - KB971512

2 -  KB2117917

3 - Apply redirecting via registry

4 - Install one of these non-beta monthly rollups (like KB4487023, KB4480968, kb 4493471).

5 - Reboot

6 - Place kernel, shell, user locally, you will see no dialogs open at all.

On 7/22/2023 at 3:20 PM, Brickedandroid said:

Preview updates are actually unworth

I tend to disagree, I noticed the overall speed of booting increased, some games gave more FPS, not like  it's night a day difference, but noticeable on my old PC, especially good when used with ex-kernel.

It's trial and error, actually, I had to test lots of them, before I found that good one. 

On 7/22/2023 at 3:10 PM, win32 said:

I assume that comdlg32 is the source of the problem since that's where the dialogs are located.

I checked that file, and it remains unchanged, even when I install all of that 6003 series upgrades. (looks like it's from the original SP2, released on April 2009)

UPDATE: I found the problem, it's in the shell32.dll, not comdlg32. The bug is there when using both methods, local and normal install. I will later write what I did to solve it for me.