Error 10 USB20DRV.EXE...

Michaelcr79

I'm running Windows ME on an EVOC 1714VNA and would like to support USB2.  Doesn't ME support it out of the box?

Tried USB20DRV.EXE experimental and apparently there is a failure to copy some important files...

Is there a polished release of this for WIndows ME?

51 minutes ago, Michaelcr79 said:

I'm running Windows ME on an EVOC 1714VNA and would like to support USB2.  Doesn't ME support it out of the box?

Nope, it only supports USB 1.1 natively.

Personally, I prefer to use the USB 2.0 support included with the 98SE USP3. Open up the executable with 7zip, open SP3.CAB and extract U98SEUSB.EXE. I find the best and most stable USB support package since it uses the Windows 2000 SP4 USB stack. On my laptop with an 855PM chipset using native 98/ME files causes me to get constant freezing and slowdowns when copying files as well as occasional BSODs when inserting USB devices. 2000 SP4 files work just as well as on 2000 SP4, which is perfect.

USB 2.0 for ME - I use this driver as long I've Win ME. It must be installed manually. It usually works well, but I should remove the stick before I boot to ME again. Depending on the system, it can make a patition muddle for the session. The sys files must be in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS after installation.

Driver on MDGX

Edited by schwups

11 hours ago, Goodmaneuver said:

>>Personally, I prefer to use the USB 2.0 support included with the 98SE USP3

No Win98 VXDs do not work with winME. Use drivers from manufacturer.

Which is fine, since that is basically the Win2000 USB stack and the only .vxd in U98SEUSB.EXE is USBDSC2.VXD which is only used/needed for Casio cameras:

jaclaz

19 minutes ago, Goodmaneuver said:

NUSB is not for WinME. There are 3 VXDs in NUSB3.3 - CDVSD; DISKTSD and IOS.vxd. 

Sure it is not, still, the U98SEUSB.EXE is NOT NUSB, it is part of USP 3.x, which is again NOT NUSB.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

VIA has supplied 2005 drivers specifically for 98 and WinME. USB20DRV uses VIA 's USBhub20.sys and has older files for USBPORT.sys and USBEHCI.sys. VIA drivers work faultlessly and I have tried USBB20DRV. USB20DRV will rely on the Unofficial SPack3  VXD's for 98. Correction it was a while ago and I have used the 98SP3 files but they are not quite the same as USB20DRV files. I still recommend the VIA SYS files and any not covered by this driver then get from Unofficial SPack1 for WinME. ( No I do not use any of these only the original ME ones ).

Edited by Goodmaneuver

37 minutes ago, Goodmaneuver said:

VIA has supplied 2005 drivers specifically for 98 and WinME. USB20DRV uses VIA 's USBhub20.sys and has older files for USBPORT.sys and USBEHCI.sys. VIA drivers work faultlessly and I have tried USBB20DRV. USB20DRV will rely on the Unofficial SPack3  VXD's for 98. Correction it was a while ago and I have used the 98SP3 files but they are not quite the same as USB20DRV files. I still recommend the VIA SYS files and any not covered by this driver then get from Unofficial SPack1 for WinME.

Sure :) and it is a good recommendation, still, as Win32 reported, normally the Windows 2000 USB stack (as ported/arranged in USP 3.xx) works fine on Me.

jaclaz

Unofficial SP GDI32 upgrade for instance creates streaking across the page when typing  with WinWord8 ( Office 97 ).

I have checked it all and the User upgrade does not seem to do any harm and I do use the CDVSD VREDIR NETBIOS and NWLINK.vxd's . Some updates like CDVSD may not have been necessary though. The Dlls and OCXs are OK but I have updated many to moderner since. Have to be careful here and if they do not register when they are supposed to then there is something wrong about it and should not be used, look into the functioning and see if it is a step forward or backward.

About the User upgrade. It will show some functions being there when Advapi32 of a WinNT file is checked with Dependency Walker, whether it works for these functions I do not know. Comctl32 from Neptune was used in the chain of Dlls in the test. I did try this arrangement, the graphics did work but there was an error in loading a module or modules requiring Comctl32 and I have overwritten the hard drive since. The advapi32 I used I can not find anymore and may not have been an upgrade as such. Why certain files were changed in the USP remains a mystery unless the coder explains it and or says what other modules were used.

Edited by Goodmaneuver