Jump to content
MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. ×

Aero Glass for Win10 Version 2004 Build 19041


tron03
 Share

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, raiden89 said:

Then you might as well get over it and move on lol. This is abandonware and Curtains is the closest supported software to getting the effect that this abandonware was supposed to recreate.

I would argue WindowBlinds is closer than Curtains.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


10 hours ago, SkyySX said:

I would argue WindowBlinds is closer than Curtains.

For those who just want blurred titlebars only, such as myself, Curtains gets the job done with less resources than WindowBlinds and I have tried both.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, raiden89 said:

For those who just want blurred titlebars only, such as myself, Curtains gets the job done with less resources than WindowBlinds and I have tried both.

If you are able to blur the title bar, can you describe how you achieved this?  I've got clear title bars with no issues but have yet been able to keep blur intact.  I've created sample images with gaussian blur and they display correctly in photoshop, but upon import to curtains, all blur is removed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, raiden89 said:

For those who just want blurred titlebars only, such as myself, Curtains gets the job done with less resources than WindowBlinds and I have tried both.

Well yeah it's a matter of what you ultimately want. Although I was under the impression that Curtains can only cause transparency, not blur. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SkyySX said:

Well yeah it's a matter of what you ultimately want. Although I was under the impression that Curtains can only cause transparency, not blur. 

 

12 hours ago, dna-systems said:

If you are able to blur the title bar, can you describe how you achieved this?  I've got clear title bars with no issues but have yet been able to keep blur intact.  I've created sample images with gaussian blur and they display correctly in photoshop, but upon import to curtains, all blur is removed.

 

Yes I think that it is for now impossible to get blur with Curtains.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/18/2021 at 12:18 AM, dna-systems said:

If you are able to blur the title bar, can you describe how you achieved this?  I've got clear title bars with no issues but have yet been able to keep blur intact.  I've created sample images with gaussian blur and they display correctly in photoshop, but upon import to curtains, all blur is removed.

 

On 5/18/2021 at 3:06 AM, SkyySX said:

Well yeah it's a matter of what you ultimately want. Although I was under the impression that Curtains can only cause transparency, not blur. 

 

22 hours ago, Quentin said:

 

 

Yes I think that it is for now impossible to get blur with Curtains.

 

To answer all of these, it comes down to the theme you use in Curtains. I am using the "New Acrylic" theme from wincustomize. It is very basic, nothing fancy, no fancy buttons, etc so stock Window Caption buttons. It also has its own level of "blur" to be as close to Acrylic as it can. I also went and added the reflections image that was shared in this thread on top of that to have the reflective look to it.

Really, any theme can have blurred title bars if you know how to go into photoshop and manually create a gaussian blur to your liking. Here's an example of what my titlebar looks like. It's not entirely blurred but also not completely transparent either to where it's a distraction to have multiple windows open showing everything straight through.

If you're having trouble making the gaussian blur in photoshop then it might be how you're making it or something. I havent had any issues, just came down to getting the kinda blur I wanted.

image.thumb.png.db7016dd33682e21495ef567eec0698f.png

Edited by raiden89
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@raiden89 Thank you for posting your screen shot of "New Acrylic". It's helpful to see that what you mean by "blur" is not what most people mean by "blur". Yes, you have a nice skin that makes content of windows behind the title bar very dark or very blue, but the text showing underneath is just as sharp as when it is not covered up by the title bar. We can see the words "Style details" with the same sharpness as before, but the colors have been changed by the title bar on top of it. This makes the words "Style details" a bit harder to read, but the text itself is not blurred.

Contrast your screen shot with mine, running AeroGlass in Windows 10 Version 1909 (soon to be upgraded!) You can see Firefox with a blurred title bar, making the "Quick actions" truly blurry, not sharp, in contrast with the "Notifications & actions" text above.

Aero glass title bar blur example.png

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Ra Shoe said:

@raiden89 Thank you for posting your screen shot of "New Acrylic". It's helpful to see that what you mean by "blur" is not what most people mean by "blur". Yes, you have a nice skin that makes content of windows behind the title bar very dark or very blue, but the text showing underneath is just as sharp as when it is not covered up by the title bar. We can see the words "Style details" with the same sharpness as before, but the colors have been changed by the title bar on top of it. This makes the words "Style details" a bit harder to read, but the text itself is not blurred.

Contrast your screen shot with mine, running AeroGlass in Windows 10 Version 1909 (soon to be upgraded!) You can see Firefox with a blurred title bar, making the "Quick actions" truly blurry, not sharp, in contrast with the "Notifications & actions" text above.

Aero glass title bar blur example.png

Yeah I know what you mean for sure. Comparing to your screenshot, I'd rather not have anything at all as there's not enough blur to enjoy it. I do like seeing stuff behind the titlebars, just don't want them to be so clear like there was no titlebar at all which is what Curtains gives you by default unless the texture is modified. Plus, running a version of Windows 2 years old just to use 1 abandonware isn't smart or worth it at all.

Curtains will probably implement blur on their own since its definitely a requested feature. For now, I'll take what I can get while staying updated lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Yeah, those bars are stored as images in your theme's .msstyles files, so if you find a full Windows 7 theme and apply it, they'll change.

You can modify your stock C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\aero\aero.msstyles with msstyleEditor and only alter those bars and save the file under different name. The bar images can be extracted from Windows 7's aero.msstyles (or any win7 imitating .msstyles file for newer OS that has ripped 7's resources, just have to find such theme on DeviantArt or wherever).

When you save any theme in Windows, the file is created under %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Themes where the path to .msstyles file must be adjusted accordingly and then tell Windows to reload it, but before that can be done, utility like SecureUxTheme is needed to be able to load non-signed .msstyles files.

That's the way that doesn't involve paid software.

Edited by UCyborg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2020 at 7:58 AM, Lizard said:

don't get the point why Microsoft should interfere with good Software, they also messes up Skype .... just like Facebook bought WhatsApp ... same story, money rules the world ... still hope for a new release soon, but maybe he got really sick :S

Ever since I found about this I stopped using WhatsApp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Guys, I just wanted to step by and ask for everyone to reinforce the request for blurred title bard in Curtains. I've already done it and they have this half-lame excuse that it's gonna be unstable or something. I think that's a bs excuse tbh. I believe that it'd help if everyone here who wants blurred title bars would go there and request this feature. Just an opinion.

Cheers!

 

edit:

here's the relevant thread:  https://forums.stardock.com/502003/page/1/#3794101

Edited by vulture_g7
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello!

Many of you mentioned transparency and glass effect for titlebars for Win10. But what about color? Can any of the tools change the accent color generated from the background image when it changes? (Windows 10 can do it built in, but horribly, generates ugly colors compared to win8).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, avada said:

Hello!

Many of you mentioned transparency and glass effect for titlebars for Win10. But what about color? Can any of the tools change the accent color generated from the background image when it changes? (Windows 10 can do it built in, but horribly, generates ugly colors compared to win8).

You could set it to one colour in the Windows settings if there is no other option.  Just untick 'Automatically pick an accent colour'.

image.thumb.png.e0501dde93f85c8b7b181c6ede3f96ca.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...