Two Questions About Diyba 128GB PAE Patch

HoppaLong

As I said in PM, please use the Russian patch. Just install it and you'll see that your boot.ini changes pointing to a custom kernel and HAL, however they're NOT called like the Windows default, they're different. It takes advantage of the fact that XP can load a different version of HAL and kernel if you specify which files it has to load. Besides, I would also append another string to boot.ini, call it "Normal kernel backup" in which you specify the Original Kernel and HAL so that you can decide whether you're gonna boot with the Russian patch (up to 64 GB of RAM supported) or with the original one. The Russian patch works like a charm and it will also install you some USB configuration files that fix the bloody problem the original Chinese patch had because of the mismatch between Windows Server 2003 and XP. 

I don't know why you're using this so called TU kernel, but I don't really wanna test it (nor Jaclaz I think). Anyway if it is replacing system files that shouldn't be replaced it's no wonder that SFC will bring them back and you'll see the 3GB of RAM only back. That's a very poor approach considering that instead of replacing system files you can just specify a different name to use in the boot.ini and that's exactly what the Russian patch does.

I've been using it for years now and I have no problem with my 32 GB of RAM, I can send you as many screenshots as you want. I will also send you the link in PM (I can't post it here otherwise @dencorso will yell at me for very obvious reasons), but then please stop reinventing the wheel. There's already an implementation, it works, everybody use it, don't use something else.

1 hour ago, FranceBB said:

I don't know why you're using this so called TU kernel, but I don't really wanna test it (nor Jaclaz I think). Anyway if it is replacing system files that shouldn't be replaced it's no wonder that SFC will bring them back and you'll see the 3GB of RAM only back. That's a very poor approach considering that instead of replacing system files you can just specify a different name to use in the boot.ini and that's exactly what the Russian patch does.

To hopefully clarify the concept (to both you and Caliber), seemingly this TuneUp thingy:

1) takes as source a "default" (and I presume with path/name hardcoded into it) XP Kernel ntoskrnl.exe
2) makes a copy of it (as "TUKernel.exe")
3) patches this copy changing in it *something* related to boot screen, allowing to show a different one
4) adds a boot.ini entry with Kernel=TUKernel.exe

It is not that the boot.ini modification is in any way "different" to load the Russian patch, the daniel_k version or the TuneUp version it is a provision there since good ol' NT 4.0 (and probably also 3.x) to allow for using different kernels, originally implemented for testing/debugging purposes. 

You cannot normally rename ntkrnpae.exe to ntoskrnl.exe because (I presume) it is a system protected file, so the alternative is to either disable the file protection (temporarily or "forever") or try to patch/modify the TuneUp thingy to point to ntkrnpae.exe instead of ntoskrnl.exe as source file of the TuneUp tool, or at least this is what I suggested as a possible workaround to solve that problem (and that problem only).

I explained why I believe that the whole thing is futile and how - if I got the final scope - (IMHO) futile as well there may be other ways to obtain the final result (a different, custom bootscreen), but if  Caliber wants to use the daniel_k patch, why not?

Now, for no apparent reason :w00t: something as well futile, but that at least it might have some uses (as an example for visually impaired XP users), colours in BOOT.INI thanks to ANSI (and fujianabc):

http://reboot.pro/topic/10122-colorful-boot-menu-with-ansi-escape-code-in-bootini/

jaclaz

6 hours ago, FranceBB said:

please use the Russian patch. The Russian patch works like a charm

looks like you have missed some posts from this thread...

the russian patch is build on top of ALL string so it doesn't work with my current mainboard and thus I have tu make use of the brazilian patch @daniel_k with 4GB value only

btw your russian tool is getting old and the most recent version is already available in english  (check post #6)

On 1/16/2020 at 10:45 AM, jaclaz said:

Now, for no apparent reason :w00t: something as well futile, but that at least it might have some uses (as an example for visually impaired XP users), colours in BOOT.INI thanks to ANSI (and fujianabc):

http://reboot.pro/topic/10122-colorful-boot-menu-with-ansi-escape-code-in-bootini/

I'm unable to get this thing working... :}

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="[1;32mMicrosoft [1;34mWindows [1;33mXP JACLAZ" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
k:\grldr="[1;36mGrub4dos"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="[1;32mMicrosoft [1;34mWindows [1;33mXP JACLAZ" /noexecute=optout /fastdetect  
k:\bootsect.bin="[1;37mMS-DOS"

12 hours ago, caliber said:

I'm unable to get this thing working... :}

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="[1;32mMicrosoft [1;34mWindows [1;33mXP JACLAZ" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
k:\grldr="[1;36mGrub4dos"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="[1;32mMicrosoft [1;34mWindows [1;33mXP JACLAZ" /noexecute=optout /fastdetect  
k:\bootsect.bin="[1;37mMS-DOS"

.Well, it depends a lot on how (EXACTLY) you wrote/modified the BOOT.INI. (You didn't copy and paste from the reference post, did  you?)

You need (obviously) a hex editor or viewer to check the contents of the file, each and every text editor (let alone the stupid board software) may render the non-printable character 0x1B (i.e. the actual "Esc" in "Escape sequence"):

http://ascii-table.com/ansi-escape-sequences.php

in a different way, besides encoding and what not, and if the text editor actually allows to insert that special chaaracter.

jaclaz

7 hours ago, jaclaz said:

Well, it depends a lot on how (EXACTLY) you wrote/modified the BOOT.INI. (You didn't copy and paste from the reference post, did  you?)

Yes it's almost a copy paste. I'm done and gonna throw in the towel.

I cannot even check the boot.ini with hex editors because I don't know where that file is (it normally is inside Windows folder)

On 1/16/2020 at 10:45 AM, jaclaz said:

You cannot normally rename ntkrnpae.exe to ntoskrnl.exe because (I presume) it is a system protected file, so the alternative is to either disable the file protection (temporarily or "forever") or try to patch/modify the TuneUp thingy to point to ntkrnpae.exe instead of ntoskrnl.exe as source file of the TuneUp tool

the WFP switcher is an amazing utility. I could rename and replace the original kernel

the W7 trick doesn't work for XP https://superuser.com/questions/479499/how-to-disable-windows-file-protection-in-windows-xp-or-7-from-registry

the weird thing is that when I switch it off, then Windows does not bring the original kernel back anymore... :dubbio:

screenshot-15.png

20 hours ago, caliber said:

Yes it's almost a copy paste. I'm done and gonna throw in the towel.

I cannot even check the boot.ini with hex editors because I don't know where that file is (it normally is inside Windows folder)

NO, it is NOT, never has been and never wiil be.

It is in the root directory of the active partition (the volume that normally gets drive letter C:\ ), along with NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM,

Just like NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM it may be not visible (since it is a system file) in Explorer unless you set it to show hidden and system files) and additionally it nay be set as read only, but is there alright.

I wonder however how you can paste into a file that you cannot find in a hex editor. :dubbio:

jaclaz