Instagram videos not working in Firefox 52 ESR?

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

Not seeing that here, everything seems to be working normally.
:dubbio:

As I said that problems appears again just in some cases. Since it's a public account I think I can post here an example. The last video post on Instagram @alexii__._ dance account (TOXIC - YAEL NAIM) I can see only the thumbnail in the page view and only 2 blank windows in carousel in that post on my PC (check on it on your system, please). I noticed it also in other cases, but I don't remember exactly the accounts (since I don’t follow them). And the scroll bars I mentioned earlier appears in the carousels to scroll their parts (it wasn't like that before).

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Sorry, I can't find that Instagram account to check it.
Just to confirm, is it called "alexii__._ dance"?
The formatting looks a bit odd.

Ahh, sorry - I wrote it in a bit "confusing" way - the dance is a main content on that account. The correct name is just:

@alexii__._

I'd appreciate your feedback. Maybe it's just some problem on my side? I still can't see that video (2 parts in carousel) directly in that post - I can watch it only in page info > Media > Video.

1 hour ago, Dave-H said:

No problem I've found it now!
Still seems to be perfectly OK here, both videos play fine, and it looks exactly the same as all other channels.

Image1.thumb.jpg.94e9b9bfc424cc497b879959ecf75946.jpg

Ah, thank you! It looks like there's some problem on my side indeed. Sometimes there are kind of a temporary bugs on individual Instagram accounts - I hope it will be fixed somehow since I'm not good in those things myself. Thank you once again for taking your time to check it and for your feedback!

No problem, I'm sure that the mods will see that there's actually no problem with the post you accidentally reported.
Hopefully they will read this as well and realize what happened!
:)

• 1 month later...

was this ever cured

i still don't see vidoes on instagram on FF 52.9 "IF" they do appear don;t play, evn tho i have primetime and widevine

i put this in the  \chrome\userChrome.css  userContent,css fike as another line to what is already in there

129 posts

Posted March 21, 2019 (edited)

You guys give up too easily, is this the infamous XP lair of fanatics or not!?

Fortunately there is (for time being, anyway) a pretty simple fix for this "video problem". (I use quotes because it has nothing to do with video as such.) You don't need to switch or recompile browsers either - at least not right now over this particular issue.

Apparently ESR 52.9 handles CSS flex layout a bit differently, so with the current Instagram code the video and its surroundding elements kindly get the height of 0 pixels... This can be fixed by modifying a surrounding <div> container to use block display instead of flex.

If you use uBlock Origin, you can add the following rule to your My filters:

instagram.com##div.ZyFrc[role=dialog]:style(display: block !important)

(Just make sure Filterlists > Parse and enforce cosmetic filters is checked and that Settings > Default behavior > Disable cosmetic filtering is not checked or is overridden per-site for instagram.com.)

The same can presumably be done with other styling/tweaking extensions, only the syntax may be a little different. I don't use anything else, so can't give you the specifics.

If you don't use any such extensions and don't want to install them, you can just add the following CSS snippet to your userContent.css file (it's located in the chrome subdirectory under your Firefox profile folder. Edit: as @Dave-H pointed out, the file may not exist yet, in which case just create a new text file, put this stuff in it, and rename the file to userContent.css.)

@-moz-document domain(instagram.com) { div.ZyFrc[role="dialog"] { display: block !important; } }

i tried this and addiing in the usercontent.css file doeswnt seen to work , still can't see or play videos in instagram

Edited by DrWho3000

• 1 month later...

It's been a while, but another glitch seems to have now appeared.
I noticed a while ago that multiple images on IG posts were showing spurious ugly scroll bars on Firefox 52 ESR, but now most of them are just showing empty white boxes as well, with no content.
Normal single image and video posts seem to be still fine.
:(

On 3/27/2020 at 1:17 PM, Dave-H said:

It's been a while, but another glitch seems to have now appeared.
I noticed a while ago that multiple images on IG posts were showing spurious ugly scroll bars on Firefox 52 ESR, but now most of them are just showing empty white boxes as well, with no content.
Normal single image and video posts seem to be still fine.

I confirm that problem. And that's what I was talking about here some time ago. Back then I had this problem only when I was logged in to my account - when I was logged out everything was fine. But now described by you problem appears no matter if I'm logged in or out. "Ugly scroll bars" and blank images/videos appears only on  carousels (multiple posts).

Just to now confirm, "carousel" still images still display, just with spurious ugly scroll bars.
Carousel videos also have the scroll bars, and also just display white boxes.

32 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Just to now confirm, "carousel" still images still display, just with spurious ugly scroll bars.
Carousel videos also have the scroll bars, and also just display white boxes.

Well, in my case it's all even more complicated. In part of image carousels pictures are displayed properly - in some other image carousels pictures are blank (white boxes). And there are some mixed cases - some of pictures in image carousel are displayed, but some others are invisible, and that's really confusing. Let's say there's image carousel made of 3 pictures - and I can see first 2 of these pictures, the last one is blank.

Video carousels all are blank. Ugly scroll bars appears also in other elements - like the collections of Story on the account main page (if there's a many different collections in it). Videos in carousels still can be watched through Page Info > Media > Video link.

Edited by Aram

• 2 weeks later...

Putting

@-moz-document domain(instagram.com) {
   div._97aPb > div { display: block !important; }
   div.Igw0E > div { display: block !important; }
   div.Igw0E > div > div { display: block !important; }
}

into userContent.css seems to bring back the carousel videos.
If there was something similar there before, replace it with this.
It doesn't get rid of the scroll bars though.

2 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Putting

@-moz-document domain(instagram.com) {
   div._97aPb > div { display: block !important; }
   div.Igw0E > div { display: block !important; }
   div.Igw0E > div > div { display: block !important; }
}

into userContent.css seems to bring back the carousel videos.
If there was something similar there before, replace it with this.
It doesn't get rid of the scroll bars though.

I confirm that it works just like you described - carousels works for both, pictures and videos (at least in cases I checked so far). Scroll-bars are still there - but that's not that important anymore.

Thank you!! :thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

EDIT: Now I noticed problem. With that content in userContent.css my DM doesn't work properly - there are several problems with message displaying in the default and mobile view as well.

Edited by Aram

I'm glad the carousel videos work for you again now.
I've never used the DM on Instagram so I don't know if it's working for me or not, but I don't think that entry in userContent.css should affect it.
Have you got anything else in there?