Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

Damnation

use custom CAB files for a win9x installation?

is there any way possible to use you own customized CAB files for win9x installation? if so how?

The more interesting related question I have is, do you even need CABs other than MINI.CAB and PRECOPY1/2.CAB at all?

Win9x setup program recognizes bare files put alongside the setup program. (Which can be seen in the official OSR2.5 win95 folder on the CD)

Can we just dump all files from Win9x_*.CABs and be done with it?

Is there a way to automatize the creation of the Layout*.inf files? Those control all the files in all the CABs.

I remember using CabPack to make my own CAB files (I think it's a GUI wrapper for CLI CAB programs):

https://www.softpedia.com/get/File-managers/CabPack.shtml

Edited by MrMateczko

I wrote a toolkit that automates part of the process for customizing Windows 9x Installation CABS. It does not automate Layout*.inf or Copy*.inf File modifications.

• Upvote 1

I'm curious to know how to make the CAB files for win9x properly, since cabpack doesn't seem to do it right for win9x (although cabpack works fine for winXP)

Hmm, I'm sure I've used it to create working Win9X CABs, did you set it for 16bit extractor and MSZIP compression?

On Τετάρτη, 19 Σεπτεμβρίου 2018 at 6:25 PM, MrMateczko said:

I remember using CabPack to make my own CAB files (I think it's a GUI wrapper for CLI CAB programs):

You can also use Windows' makecab.exe

The CAB Files are linked in a sequence and have many files split between successive CABs.

This makes it difficult to change one or more CABs without rebuilding all of them or using special tools.

For Windows 98 there is this (which has however a few limitations):

jaclaz

The Scripts rebuild the entire set of CAB Files. They cannot rebuild a single CAB or just a few CABs.