I've been trying to make CAB files, and got all the other compression types working, but haven't been able to get Quantum working in any fashion (it returns an "unknown compression type" error). I double & triple checked what I was doing with some other things, and it seems I'm specifying the settings right. So I was wondering, did Microsoft pull Quantum support out of their CAB software, or is there something I'm not seeing?

I've been trying to make CAB files, and got all the other compression types working, but haven't been able to get Quantum working in any fashion (it returns an "unknown compression type" error). I double & triple checked what I was doing with some other things, and it seems I'm specifying the settings right. So I was wondering, did Microsoft pull Quantum support out of their CAB software, or is there something I'm not seeing?

Well, it depends on which version of *anything* you are using, I presume.

Quantum compression has been discussed here:

jaclaz

That link is more of a utility standpoint. Anyhow, there isn't necessarily anything discounting that Microsoft maybe made an error, but it's probably more likely I'm misunderstanding something? (Oddly enough when I search now, this thread comes up as most relevant)

if I go into FCI.H

#define tcompTYPE_QUANTUM 0x0002 // Quantum

#define tcompMASK_QUANTUM_LEVEL 0x00F0 // Mask for Quantum Compression Level
#define tcompQUANTUM_LEVEL_LO 0x0010 // Lowest Quantum Level (1)
#define tcompQUANTUM_LEVEL_HI 0x0070 // Highest Quantum Level (7)
#define tcompSHIFT_QUANTUM_LEVEL 4 // Amount to shift over to get int

#define tcompMASK_QUANTUM_MEM 0x1F00 // Mask for Quantum Compression Memory
#define tcompQUANTUM_MEM_LO 0x0A00 // Lowest Quantum Memory (10)
#define tcompQUANTUM_MEM_HI 0x1500 // Highest Quantum Memory (21)
#define tcompSHIFT_QUANTUM_MEM 8 // Amount to shift over to get int

#define TCOMPfromTypeLevelMemory(t,l,m) \
(((m) << tcompSHIFT_QUANTUM_MEM ) | \
((l) << tcompSHIFT_QUANTUM_LEVEL) | \
( t ))

As I understand all I need to do is plug numbers into the macro at the last part and I'll get what I need. So let's say, I go for quantum with the highest level and memory. I get

0x1572, which seems to be what I need to have.

I tried to search too and found no indication that Microsoft ever pulled Quantum.

So what am I missing here?

I tried looking at Diamond EXE and the 95 cabs. Everything either generated by Diamond.EXE or on the 95 disk returns MSZip on the software I'm looking at these files with, so it seems that answers the question.

That link is more of a utility standpoint. Anyhow, there isn't necessarily anything discounting that Microsoft maybe made an error, but it's probably more likely I'm misunderstanding something? (Oddly enough when I search now, this thread comes up as most relevant)

Sorry if it is not up to your expectations. :(

I tried to search too and found no indication that Microsoft ever pulled Quantum.

So what am I missing here?

Reading? :unsure:

The intended essence of that post is that seemingly MS pulled Quantum compression from CAB related utils sometime in 1996.

jaclaz