Ashampoo Spectre Meltdown CPU Checker

Sampei.Nihira

I tired it and I don't trust it cuz I ran a VM and said i was vulnerable.

The Meltdown attack cannot be used to break out of a virtual machine. You can break out of a container, sandbox, or a paravirtualized system, but performing the Meltdown attack in a fully-virtualized system just gets you access to that VM's kernel memory, not the host's kernel memory.

Spectre can break out of VMs but my host machine is AMD.  So all of these detection methods seem jacked to me.

Edited by Destro

On Wilders we have discovered that:

Ashampoo Spectre Meltdown CPU Checker change the Powershell ExecutionPolicy.

SpeculationControl change the Powershell ExecutionPolicy.

SpecuCheck not change the Powershell ExecutionPolicy.

To use SpecuCheck correctly on W.XP, the KB968930 must be installed.
This requires Net Framework 2.

@Dibya

Can you recompile the new version for it to work on XP?

TH.

https://github.com/ionescu007/SpecuCheck/releases/tag/1.0.5

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

19 hours ago, Destro said:

The Meltdown attack cannot be used to break out of a virtual machine. You can break out of a container, sandbox, or a paravirtualized system, but performing the Meltdown attack in a fully-virtualized system just gets you access to that VM's kernel memory, not the host's kernel memory.

Yes but the VM's kernel memory must be protected too (that's why VMware, VirtualBox etc. are releasing patches or patched versions - and you must patch the guest OS too of course).

Edited by HarryTri

2 hours ago, HarryTri said:

Yes but the VM's kernel memory must be protected too (that's why VMware, VirtualBox etc. are releasing patches or patched versions - and you must patch the guest OS too of course).

I was running it on a AMD hyperviser so thats irrelevant AMDs are not susceptible to meltdown,  All of these detector programs don't check to see if your CPUs are vulnerable, becasue they are not made from a meltdown or spectre sample code.  They only check to see if you are patched,.  Which is irrelevant in some cases.  For example P4s do not do side channel.  That technology doesn't exist is core duos or pIIIs either.

Edited by Destro

• 5 months later...

also, no specific Meltdown & Spectre patches will be made for POSReady 2009 XP as noted in MS KB article 4073757 (on FAQ question - My operating system (OS) is not listed. When can I expect a fix to be released?)

We will not be issuing updates for the following platforms:

Windows operating systems that are currently out of support or those entering end of service (EOS) in 2018

Windows XP-based systems including WES 2009, POSReady 2009

Although Windows XP-based systems are affected products, Microsoft is not issuing an update for them because the comprehensive architectural changes that would be required would jeopardize system stability and cause application compatibility problems. We recommend that security-conscious customers upgrade to a newer supported operating system to keep pace with the changing security threat landscape and benefit from the more robust protections that newer operating systems provide.

Edited by erpdude8