[Guide] Windows Vista on the Intel Ivy Bridge platform

WinClient5270

Introduction:

As the title implies, this post serves as a guide for anyone potentially seeking to install and use Vista on the Intel Ivy Bridge platform. I felt there was a need to create this guide, because although getting full driver support for Vista under Ivy Bridge IS possible, it requires you to use certain motherboard(s) from the Sandy Bridge era to get USB 3.0 driver support for Vista. Intel HD 4000 Graphics drivers are also not so easy to obtain for Vista, so a link to them has been provided below.

Choosing the right motherboard:

With Ivy Bridge, Intel dropped Windows Vista (and XP) support from its USB 3.0 drivers, rendering XP/Vista support for the Ivy chipset incomplete. To work around this, you will need to find a motherboard from the Sandy Bridge era that supports Sandy AND Ivy Bridge CPUs. Almost all Sandy Bridge motherboards, except those with the Q65, Q67 or B65 chipsets, will support Ivy Bridge CPUs through a BIOS upgrade.
A notable example of such a motherboard is the Asus P8Z68-V LX. This motherboard in particular has Asmedia USB 3.0 controllers, and Asmedia has excellent driver support for Windows Vista. Gigabyte also offers a number of boards that include third-party USB 3.0 chipsets, which support Vista. Be aware that you might have to purchase (or borrow from a friend/relative) a Sandy Bridge CPU to boot up your system for the first time if you are building from scratch, as the original BIOS version for these boards does not support the use of Ivy Bridge CPUs and will not allow you to boot the machine with an Ivy Bridge CPU without first updating your BIOS. For Ivy Bridge-E processors, the X79 chipset is fully supported on Windows Vista and you may choose any motherboard you like (the BIOS update situation still applies).
If you do not care about or need USB 3.0, then you may choose any Ivy Bridge motherboard you like. Chipset drivers for Ivy Bridge do support Vista and can be downloaded here. I personally use the ASUS P8B75-M motherboard with Windows Vista Ultimate, and I find it to work well (Vista simply uses its generic USB 2.0 drivers for the USB 3.0 ports).

Finding Intel HD 4000 Graphics drivers:

You can download the Intel HD 4000 Graphics drivers here: 32 bit - 64 bit
For some reason, Intel decided initially to not support Windows Vista with its HD 4000 graphics chipsets. However, it appears that they later decided to add in Windows Vista support, evidently via backporting Windows 7 drivers, since this installer claims that the drivers are for Windows 7 but doesn't mention Vista specifically. Despite this, the drivers work just fine in Windows Vista. I have studied the driver setup information (.inf) files and found that both desktop and mobile HD 4000 graphics chipsets are supported, so this driver should be able to be used with any Ivy Bridge graphics chipset under Windows Vista.

That's it! No additional special steps are required, and you may install and use Vista normally with full driver support on the Ivy Bridge platform (arguably the best platform for XP/Vista). I hope this guide helped you!

Edited by WinClient5270
Fixed broken link for HD 4000 Drivers

Provided overclocking is not intended, the msi H67MA-E35 B3 (it must be B3!) is also great. It's a Micro-ATX, but it does have one PCI socket (and two further PCI-e x1 sockets that can be easily used for PCI-e to PCI adapters, if needed). It can take the i7-3770 or the i7-3770k (both 8 threads/4 cores) or the i5-3570 (4 cores/4 threads) and has the great NEC uPD720200 chip providing two onboard rear USB 3.0 ports), 2 SATA III plus 4 SATA II also come in very handy. All drivers for XP and for 7 exist, so I guess those for Vist should be available, too. Also for this board, however, one must be aware that one might have to purchase (or borrow from a friend/relative) a Sandy Bridge CPU to boot up the system for the first time, when building from scratch, as the original BIOS version for these boards does not support the use of Ivy Bridge CPUs and will not allow booting the machine without first updating the BIOS.

2008WindowsVista I support your effort to keep these drivers alive.  As you know Intel has a convoluted database that is hard to search for the drivers or they intentionally deprecate it and remove older versions (to save space) and only leave newer versions killing off support for older ones.

I think these drivers are hidden from Z77 chipsets on the Intel website but should work.  If not I'll back port them when I get a chance.

I decided to help back up the Vista Drivers for integrated Intel HD Graphics for (Sandy Bridge / Ivy Bridge) Chipsets Z68 / Z77.

Backup of the download page works although the download links are destroyed by Intel so I found a way to directly link them as long as WayBackMachine exists these files will never be lost.

Archived for information purposes only and you can't directly download the files through this archive page.

http://web.archive.org/web/20171008141948/https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/20758/Graphics-Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-Vista

Vista 32-Bit Intel HD Graphics Drivers direct link to download file.

http://web.archive.org/web/20171008142049/https://downloadmirror.intel.com/20758/a08/GFX_Win7_32_8.15.10.2761.exe

Vista 64-Bit Intel HD Graphics Drivers direct link to download file.

http://web.archive.org/web/20171008142245/https://downloadmirror.intel.com/20758/a08/GFX_Win7_64_8.15.10.2761.exe

Now I haven't tested these recently but I seem to recall using Vista 64-bit Intel HD Graphic drivers on my Z68 and Z77 systems back in the 2012 time frame.  The final test is did they retain the Windows 7 HDCP so even Vista can play Blu-ray movies properly or if this was just a basic graphics drivers.

I'll have to test these later to see if they work but these new download links will ensure they will never be deleted even if Intel secretly removes them one day from their own server.  I suggested people archive the two Vista 32/64 Bit direct download links as a bookmark in case MSFN goes down you can still find them.

:thumbup

Readme file:

http://web.archive.org/web/20171008143938/https://downloadmirror.intel.com/20758/eng/GFX_8.15.10.2761_readme.txt

Edited by 98SE

On 08/10/2017 at 3:37 PM, 98SE said:

I think these drivers are hidden from Z77 chipsets on the Intel website but should work.  If not I'll back port them when I get a chance.

I hate to derail a perfectly good thread, but consider this a side note: Could you also take a look at the AMD drivers? They don't work since the 15.200 branch of drivers (or since Catalyst 15.7), leaving anyone with a Rx 300 series or newer GPU on the cold, when it comes to Vista...

On 10/10/2017 at 9:20 AM, greenhillmaniac said:

I hate to derail a perfectly good thread, but consider this a side note: Could you also take a look at the AMD drivers? They don't work since the 15.200 branch of drivers (or since Catalyst 15.7), leaving anyone with a Rx 300 series or newer GPU on the cold, when it comes to Vista...

Where are these 15.2 and 15.7 versions located?

Are you sure these supported Vista 64-bit?

The last Vista 64-Bit driver that I see is v13.12

12/17/2013

for Rx 200 series on the AMD site.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows Vista - 64

https://www2.ati.com/drivers/13-12_winvista_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe

I checked my Vista 64-Bit system with an AMD Radeon HD 6000 series and the driver version

Dated 12-6-2013

This might be nearing the end of Vista 64-Bit support that I downloaded.

This driver I located looks around the same time frame still available online but I haven't checked if it is Vista 64-Bit or Windows 7.

Version 13.25.18

Release Date

10-24-2013

http://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/AMD_132518_781_vga.zip

Edited by 98SE

54 minutes ago, 98SE said:

Where are these 15.2 and 15.7 versions located?

Are you sure these supported Vista 64-bit?

The last Vista 64-Bit driver that I see is v13.12

12/17/2013

for Rx 200 series on the AMD site.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows Vista - 64

https://www2.ati.com/drivers/13-12_winvista_64_dd_ccc_whql.exe

I checked my Vista 64-Bit system with an AMD Radeon HD 6000 series and the driver version

Dated 12-6-2013

This might be nearing the end of Vista 64-Bit support that I downloaded.

This driver I located looks around the same time frame still available online but I haven't checked if it is Vista 64-Bit or Windows 7.

Version 13.25.18

Release Date

10-24-2013

http://download.msi.com/dvr_exe/AMD_132518_781_vga.zip

I would redirect you to this thread, where everything is explained:

But basically, we were able to mod driver versions newer than the latest official one (the Catalyst 13.12 that you mention), but we got stuck on Catalyst 15.6. After that each and every INF modded driver gives Error 39 when trying to install (this happens on Catalyst 15.7 and later). This means any user with a Rx 300 series, RX 400 series, RX 500 and RX Vega card cannot get 3D acceleration on Vista (I'm included in the Rx 300 series group :()

Edited by greenhillmaniac

On 10/11/2017 at 2:47 AM, 2008WindowsVista said:

You can use any X79 board for Sandy or Ivy Bridge-E, and Windows Vista is supported.

The ASUS Sabertooth is a great example: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_X79/HelpDesk_Download/

I was thinking about getting an X79 Deluxe and an i7 4960X, basically the best Ivy Bridge hardware money can buy.

However on the support page for the X79 there aren't any Vista drivers outside of BIOS updates, but perhaps I can use the sabertooth drivers since the components are the same?

24 minutes ago, dork said:

I was thinking about getting an X79 Deluxe and an i7 4960X, basically the best Ivy Bridge hardware money can buy.

I'm toying with that idea, too, for my XP SP3. Now, while we know it's compatible, some searching may be needed for the correct drivers. I think yo may go with the Sabretooth drivers for most things. Of course, you'll have to see which sound and USB 3.0 controllers are used in your specific board before picking those drivers. And I'd go, hands down, with Fernando's recommended AHCI driver. As for graphics, that'll depend on the add-on board you select.

3 hours ago, greenhillmaniac said:

I would redirect you to this thread, where everything is explained:

But basically, we were able to mod driver versions newer than the latest official one (the Catalyst 13.12 that you mention), but we got stuck on Catalyst 15.6. After that each and every INF modded driver gives Error 39 when trying to install (this happens on Catalyst 15.7 and later). This means any user with a Rx 300 series, RX 400 series, RX 500 and RX Vega card cannot get 3D acceleration on Vista (I'm included in the Rx 300 series group :()

Honestly after reading all those threads I would use the phrase "Vista is TERMINATED".

There are a couple reason why AMD lost support.

They were late to add XP drivers on the Radeon HD 7000 Series and when the 7000 series came out they nuked the VGA port on almost every card which p***ed me off.  Then nVidia comes around and drops the atom bomb Maxwell 700 Series which was like a god send.  Half the wattage of the previous generation and double the performance?  That was amazing and they pretty much included Linux, MAC OS, XP, and Vista drivers on top of the common Windows 7.  So all these rolled into a major knockout for nVidia and yes they even kept the VGA port which was a bonus.  But I still favor the AMD Radeon HD 6000 series since they were the last generation to have single slot fanless cards which is why I still praise them since I use them for XP, Vista, 7, and 10.

Do you have every official graphics driver listed in the message below archived somewhere unaltered?

- 14.50x - AMD Catalyst 14.12 up until Catalyst 15.6 beta. Based on the Catalyst Omega release, these drivers don't support the RX 300 series, but are the last known ones to support Vista.

- 15.20 - only found these on the Gigabyte website, which leads me to believe these are an early version of the Catalyst 15.7? They are dated from April 2015, according to the files inside the exe, so they seem older than the AMD released 15.15, which are dated June 2015... (link: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Driver/vga_driver_amd_w7_w8_15.4.exe)

- 15.15 - just found out about these on the AMD website. These are the first official drivers to support the RX 300 series, but seem to be newer than the 15.20 that I found on the Gigabyte website (which is weird, going by the build number). Haven't tested these on Vista, but I'm assuming they won't work, like all 15.xx drivers and later (link: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-300-Series.aspx)

- 15.20 - the first 15.xx drivers supporting all other cards from AMD's lineup, and made for Windows 10. Starts with Catalyst 15.7 up to Catalyst 15.11.1 beta

- 15.30 - introduced with the Crimson UI overhaul of the drivers. Starts with Crimson 15.12 all the way to Crimson 16.2.1 beta

- 16.101 - discovered by the good folks at Guru3D forums. The only drivers on the 16.xx line to support the non-GCN GPUs (link: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=408883)

- 16.15 - Vulkan support and a few new AMD features. The first official 16.xx release. Starts on Crimson 16.3 and ends on Crimson 16.5.1 Hotfix

- 16.20 - honestly, I don't know what these drivers brought to the table... Begins on Crimson 16.5.2 Hotfix and ended on Crimson 16.7.2 Hotfix

- 16.30 - recently released with the Crimson 16.7.3, made for Windows 10 RS1. Still haven't tested these. Apparently this driver version reduces DX11 driver overhead, according to the Guru3D forum guys (great forum for AMD drivers BTW)

15.20-16.30 Are these all official Windows 7 64-Bit drivers?  Can you provide the official manufacturer direct download links if they exist?

Do you have the official missing gap drivers from 13.12 to 15.20?

And from this message are you saying that the RX 200 Series had official driver support from 14.12-15.6 Beta or were all these Windows 7 drivers with modded inf for Vista?

- 14.50x - AMD Catalyst 14.12 up until Catalyst 15.6 beta. Based on the Catalyst Omega release, these drivers don't support the RX 300 series, but are the last known ones to support Vista.

I'm still unclear if you found any benefit using any driver above official driver version 13.12 on Vista?

Edited by 98SE

16 minutes ago, 98SE said:

I'm still unclear if you found any benefit using any driver above official driver version 13.12 on Vista?

OK, let me be perfectly clear, since apparently I'm not getting through... I was asking if you could take a look at later driver releases of AMD drivers made for Windows 7, and see if you could somehow make them work on Vista, since newer AMD cards need those drivers to work properly. If you need links, this is the first driver that with modifications stopped working on Vista. This is for Windows 7 x64 BTW! https://us.softpedia-secure-download.com/dl/1069864f843f79accc67b99dffd22ee4/59e24e1b/300450294/drivers/video/amd-catalyst-15.7-with-dotnet45-win7-32bit.exe

Sorry for getting off topic guys!

1 hour ago, dork said:

However on the support page for the X79 there aren't any Vista drivers outside of BIOS updates, but perhaps I can use the sabertooth drivers since the components are the same?

The X79 Deluxe and Sabertooth boards both have Asmedia USB 3.0 controllers and Realtek Audio which should both work with Vista just fine. I find it odd that ASUS decided to exclude any drivers for XP and Vista on their site for that particular board as it should work with Vista/XP just fine, however, you more than likely can use the Sabertooth drivers without issues since they have the same USB 3.0 and Audio chipsets.

If for some reason the drivers don't work (and don't let the name fool you, unlike most "driver installers" this software is actually legitimate), you can use Snappy Driver Installer to find the appropriate drivers for your hardware, which was especially useful for me since ASUS didn't bother to list any official Vista drivers for my ASUS P8B75-M motherboard either (which btw, runs Vista just fine, except for the Intel USB 3.0 ports which don't work with Vista, since Intel didn't release any USB 3.0 drivers for Vista. These simply run in USB 2.0 compatibility mode, though).

1 hour ago, greenhillmaniac said:

OK, let me be perfectly clear, since apparently I'm not getting through... I was asking if you could take a look at later driver releases of AMD drivers made for Windows 7, and see if you could somehow make them work on Vista, since newer AMD cards need those drivers to work properly. If you need links, this is the first driver that with modifications stopped working on Vista. This is for Windows 7 x64 BTW! https://us.softpedia-secure-download.com/dl/1069864f843f79accc67b99dffd22ee4/59e24e1b/300450294/drivers/video/amd-catalyst-15.7-with-dotnet45-win7-32bit.exe

Sorry for getting off topic guys!

First it's easier to make older drivers work on newer cards and if it doesn't work most likely it won't work with a newer driver.   I also don't have any of the newer cards post 7K although I believe a R5 refresh was done based on 7K so they might be interchangeable.  I have an APU with R5 graphics so I might be able to test further but I have no plans on buying any AMD or nVidia graphics cards on either side since they cut off XP and Vista support.  I have a Pascal which failed to work for XP but I might try to see if it works on Vista when I have more time.  I will consider buying one or or the other whichever company stops supporting Windows 7 last to get the final graphics card for W7 testing.  Pascal and Vega would appear to be disappointments for XP/Vista support going forward.

So if you are saying that you already tried modding the Vista 13.12 to support your RX 300 device and it failed to work or have you not tried this yet?  That's where I would start from a confirmed working Vista driver.  If it's working and stable I don't see any reason to go higher or modify 7 drivers to work except to see if it was somehow also stable.

I wouldn't see any point in trying to get a newer Windows 7 driver to work in Vista because like you found out they probably added W7 dependency files which without the actual source code you probably wouldn't be able to get it to work in Vista or it will have some problems that you find out later.

The reason I asked you for all those older driver links is to test them all out myself on an older card to see where the driver compatibility breaks.  But if you never got those missing gap versions from 13.12 to 14.50 than it will be harder to find a more stable version post 13.12 or create one.

6 minutes ago, 98SE said:

First it's easier to make older drivers work on newer cards and if it doesn't work most likely it won't work with a newer driver.   I also don't have any of the newer cards post 7K although I believe a R5 refresh was done based on 7K so they might be interchangeable.  I have an APU with R5 graphics so I might be able to test further but I have no plans on buying any AMD or nVidia graphics cards on either side since they cut off XP and Vista support.  I have a Pascal which failed to work for XP but I might try to see if it works on Vista when I have more time.  I will consider buying one or or the other whichever company stops supporting Windows 7 last to get the final graphics card for W7 testing.  Pascal and Vega would appear to be disappointments for XP/Vista support going forward.

So if you are saying that you already tried modding the Vista 13.12 to support your RX 300 device and it failed to work or have you not tried this yet?  That's where I would start from a confirmed working Vista driver.  If it's working and stable I don't see any reason to go higher or modify 7 drivers to work except to see if it was somehow also stable.

I wouldn't see any point in trying to get a newer Windows 7 driver to work in Vista because like you found out they probably added W7 dependency files which without the actual source code you probably wouldn't be able to get it to work in Vista or it will have some problems that you find out later.

The reason I asked you for all those older driver links is to test them all out myself on an older card to see where the driver compatibility breaks.  But if you never got those missing gap versions from 13.12 to 14.50 than it will be harder to find a more stable version post 13.12 or create one.

I managed to get the Catalyst 15.6 somewhat working with my R9 380, but it's super unstable (not suitable for day to day work): http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/175825-about-amd-drivers-on-vista/?do=findComment&comment=1128711

Hope this suffices.