My Browser Builds (Part 1)

I'm having a bizarre issue with the Basilisk builds where as soon as I press a key into the address bar or anywhere else it crashes with the traditional "basilisk.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." I can navigate by right-clicking the address bar and clicking "Paste & Go" with a URL in the clipboard, but otherwise it's useless.

31 minutes ago, r3muxd said:

I'm having a bizarre issue with the Basilisk builds where as soon as I press a key into the address bar or anywhere else it crashes with the traditional "basilisk.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close." I can navigate by right-clicking the address bar and clicking "Paste & Go" with a URL in the clipboard, but otherwise it's useless.

if you have newer version of windows, try official build.

if it still crashes, report bug to them.

Running the latest 32-bit compile from roytam1 (v55.0.0, buildID 20180113120315, git-0257d77) on Windows Vista SP2 32-bit (fully patched), I'm not seeing the issue reported by r3muxd; and this is with no less than 42 active addons (5 of which are webextensions), a custom Greek language pack and a custom mod of the FT DeepDark complete theme (based on version 14.4); I have not experienced any crash whatsoever since installing it yesterday; I know this is little consolation for r3muxd, but may indicate it's an issue particular to his setup...

Also, the Moebius devs are recently streamlining the codebase and since they're officially only supporting Win7+, they have begun gutting out all remnants of NT<6.1 - I've seen GUI files renamed to *-win7* and/or *-preWin10* etc., which just means it'd be even harder in the future to maintain compatibility with XP/Vista in roytam1's builds :(

@r3muxd you need to troubleshoot this further; does your issue happen when launching Bk in Safe Mode? Are you indeed on XP SP3 32-bit? (I can't check the behaviour of Bk on that OS currently...). Have you tried to disable Hardware Acceleration? Have you, by any chance, enabled multiprocesses (e10s) ? If yes, revert to single process... Does your issue happen in a new clean profile? Do note Basilisk is a test application in alpha state, radical internal changes take place with each update, little compatibility exists currently with Firefox (<= 55) profiles... When "basilisk.exe" crashes, do you get any additional info on which part of the app provokes the crash?

if you have newer version of windows, try official build. if it still crashes, report bug to them.

As stated, the official builds don't run on Vista, by choice :angry: ; another thing is their releases are few and far between...

The last one is 55.0.2018.01.05 (buildID 20180105004734); I have patched all official executables (by lowering subsystem version from 6.1 -> 6.0) and have successfully run the official win32 build on Vista; runs absolutely fine on my system (no issue with typing in the URLbar), except for the fact WMF h.264/aac decoders don't work; this is because the WMF code in the official build selectively excludes VIsta (and, of course, there's no WMF decoders for XP).

(official builds only, on supported OSes =>)

Official Basilisk forum: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewforum.php?f=61

GitHub issue tracker: https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/moebius/issues

I notice this alot. Instead of showing the website icon, the icon will be a blank page. Is this a common problem for other people?

Also another question: will NewMoon update itself or will I have to download the new 7z file when a new update is made?

untitled.PNG

basilisk_08-01-2018_graphical_oddity.PNG

I noticed the same graphical oddity as apreese16, on multiple Windows installs. This is actually on XP x64 (using the 32-bit Basilisk).

With other themes (Royale, Zune etc.), the window buttons remain oversized, but the blue colour of the address bar changes to conform with the theme. With the classic theme it looks totally normal.

New Build!

32bit https://o.rthost.cf/palemoon/palemoon-27.8.0a1.win32-git-20180121-4b2c1b329-xpmod.7z
32bit noSSE https://o.rthost.cf/palemoon/palemoon-27.8.0a1.win32-git-20180121-4b2c1b329-xpmod-ia32.7z

64bit https://o.rthost.cf/palemoon/palemoon-27.8.0a1.win64-git-20180121-4b2c1b329-xpmod.7z

Official repo changes since my last build:

- Collapse notification bar in fullscreen (c1bcdecae)
- Removed "on Windows" from comment (e335a9f6f)
- Merge pull request #1576 from SpockMan02/master (f4444d4f2)
- Remove WebRTC - Part 1: Configure (ccbc20a0f)
- Added function for a showTabPreviews pref (10d74de4d)
- Added checkbox for showTabPreviews (46f6b0ae5)
- Added browser.ctrlTab.previews pref (951495c63)
- Added label for showTabPreviews (295aee74e)
- Removed unnecessary showTabPreviews function (2dd6ae6d4)
- Remove WebRTC - Part 2: Remove all WebRTC files that are not depended upon by the rest of the build system (b16a33e19)
- Merge pull request #1583 from binoc-central/webrtc-sec (08263752a)
- Made showTabPreviews checkbox string less hand-holding (d208ead3c)
- Merge pull request #1582 from SpockMan02/master (d9292ecaf)
- Adjust the theme to account for natural border width rounding. (afa34c7a6)
- Version bump (new cycle) (7f021126b)
- Remove extraneous "tab". (fb9110941)
- Implement ES6 22.1.3.31 Array.prototype[@@unscopables] (ee9d53abb)
- Add Eyedropper to the app menu (9b2f63ec2)
- Merge pull request #1589 from janekptacijarabaci/devtools_appmenu_eyedropper_1 (b5709d37b)
- Add check for Windows 8.1 version (bdaa898f7)
- Perform an `XCTO: nosniff` check only for 2xx responses (394350218)
- Don't use transparency optimization for theme items in Windows 8 or later with a high contrast theme in use. (3dc0774f7)
- Shut up rpmlint (73983c688)
- Merge pull request #1593 from JustOff/PR_nosniff_2xx_only (538dfb780)
- Don't style the menu bar items unless we don't have a compositor. (b8c009079)
- Issue #1595 part 1: Remove Vista checks in XPCOM (f6c1a6b46)
- Issue #1595 part 2: Remove Vista checks in /hal (723e8aed0)
- Issue #1595 part 3: Remove Vista checks in DOM (8c4c48d34)
- Issue #1595 part 4: Remove Vista checks in JS and XRE (d6e790af7)
- Issue #1595 part 5: Remove Vista checks in Windows widget code (7c0acbff8)
- Issue #1595 part 6: Remove Vista check in Windows DLL blocklist (e6294019c)
- Issue #1595 part 7: Remove Vista checks in /gfx (4b2c1b329)

My changes since my last build:
- Reverted changes in Issue #1595

Edited by roytam1

Notice: no new basilisk/moebius build today, since upstream changes is limited:
- Checking NS_BINDING_ABORTED to avoid dispatching navigate event (5e6185d96)
- Merge pull request #302 from janekptacijarabaci/devtools_actors_tab_1 (66a9a051d)
- Don't try to use "doc" reference when it might be dead (e705ee82d)
- Merge pull request #304 from janekptacijarabaci/toolkit_readerMode_1 (f7058b867)
- Remove Rust MP4 parser component. (40ba92f01)
- Remove rust URL parser component (d329d68f9)
- Change XFO sameorigin to check all ancestors for same origin. (69ef73749)
- Remove OS-specific importSourceGroup. (e9170641e)

On 1/10/2018 at 5:36 PM, apreese16 said:

i guess Im going back to NewMoon, i like the look of it alot better than the basilisk browser. Although there is a problem. Unlike basilisk, NewMoon will never let me post on this page, or any page for that matter. it will just stay on the loading screen and never change... Anyone else have this problem?

problem.JPG

Anytime I try to type anything anywhere it crashes on me.  I am using the 32 bit version from 1/13/2018.  I had been using a December version before which did not have this issue.

Leland

PS I am not using a standard Windows theme.  I don't know if this would effect it but I suspect it might.  The theme I am using is called Tener VS.

Edited by leland
additional information

8 hours ago, leland said:

Anytime I try to type anything anywhere it crashes on me.  I am using the 32 bit version from 1/13/2018.  I had been using a December version before which did not have this issue.

Leland

PS I am not using a standard Windows theme.  I don't know if this would effect it but I suspect it might.  The theme I am using is called Tener VS.

Please try starting New Moon in safe mode and try to type in that box to see if extensions causing issue.

16 hours ago, roytam1 said:

Please try starting New Moon in safe mode and try to type in that box to see if extensions causing issue.

I just tried and while it started faster it still crashes anytime you try to enter text into the browser.  I could not respond to this using Basilisk for example without knowing it will crash.  I can say it took about 10 seconds longer to crash but the crash was the same.

Leland