My Browser Builds (Part 1)

1 hour ago, Flame. said:

It is already compiled with 3GB-aware flag (kudos for that), so besides setting it in XP, nothing else could be done realistically, except for switching to 64 bits. Firefox also can use it, btw.

Oh, and ofc you can use some RAM-disk that is smart enough to use memory above XP limit, and set browser cache, temp and swap there. :)

Yes that's not enough as even FireFox is probably 3GB aware as it exceeds 2GB and continues growing.  I've already maxed it and since this is about continued development we need something that is more robust.  We need a way to give XP 32-Bit the ability to increase the OS memory space from 3GB to 8GB.  Then PaleMoon can at least use 4.8GB of it probably enough for today's multitab surfing until they start bloating the web pages again making 16GB necessary to switch to 64-Bit to keep pace.  I already use a 29GB Ramdisk or 61GB depending on which system I'm on.  This doesn't fix the problem.  Have you tried using a 64-Bit OS to see if Pale Moon 64-Bit can handle 8GB or more browser usage in the Task Manager?

What's the max memory usage attainable you've seen before stability issues for Pale Moon 64-Bit on your 64-Bit OS?

27 minutes ago, 98SE said:

We need a way to give XP 32-Bit the ability to increase the OS memory space from 3GB to 8GB.  Then PaleMoon can at least use 4.8GB

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/639540/how-much-memory-can-a-32-bit-process-access-on-a-64-bit-operating-system

While you (in theory) can get 4+ GB memory usable by XP, with Palemoon you are out of luck - the only way (sorta) for 32 bit software to use more than 4 GB of memory is to split itself into several processes, like Chrome or Firefox with E10S, but Palemoon is explicitly ONE process only (not counting the flash container).

So, get NoScript, uBlock, uMatrix and cut most pages of their excessive fat while you still can. :)

Edited by Flame.

3 hours ago, Flame. said:

It is already compiled with 3GB-aware flag (kudos for that), so besides setting it in XP, nothing else could be done realistically, except for switching to 64 bits. Firefox also can use it, btw.

Oh, and ofc you can use some RAM-disk that is smart enough to use memory above XP limit, and set browser cache, temp and swap there. :)

jemalloc may be the one who limits 1.5GB RAM usage. If you know how to change the limit without breaking it, please tell me. :P

12 hours ago, dencorso said:

Feodor2. Try to always re-read the names you type, Dibya... at least the names. Misspelling names is insulting (I know you don't mean any insult), so do your best to avoid it. Take this as nothing more than friendly advice. :)

Sorry

Edit: palemoon is great enough but still it's JScript performance is not up to the modern standards. We may improve it by means of porting some codes from SeaMonkey . Memory footprint is low that's amazing but improvement are required when comes to rendering Js

I am wondering if x264 lib can be used instead of lav for h264 purposes.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/X264

Edited by Dibya

1 hour ago, Dibya said:

Sorry

Edit: palemoon is great enough but still it's JScript performance is not up to the modern standards. We may improve it by means of porting some codes from SeaMonkey . Memory footprint is low that's amazing but improvement are required when comes to rendering Js

I am wondering if x264 lib can be used instead of lav for h264 purposes.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/X264

X264 is for ENCODING.

6 hours ago, roytam1 said:

jemalloc may be the one who limits 1.5GB RAM usage. If you know how to change the limit without breaking it, please tell me. :P

Even a 1.0GB RAM limitation might prevent the issue as 1.5GB can freeze up too.  Or a max tabs limit user setting.

But using more than 3GB of usable OS memory to 8GB would be a big upgrade.

Is there a way to disable javascript for background tabs and then foreground tab is the only one with it enabled.  Then switching tabs the javascript is disabled for the last tab and turned on for the active tab?

I usually use a Javascript toggle button but maybe something like this would fix some of the javascript freezing from building up without deactivating the website from not functioning.

Hello!

I just registered here to thank you for your port to XP and XP x64, roytam1! I've replaced my FF ESR with it, and it's really quite a bit faster. I've even compiled Pale Moon on my CentOS 6.9 Linux workstation now, as  it's otherwise locked to the same FF ESR version as XP for now, by its package management. Just for the added speed. ;)

Anyway, I've been running the 64-bit version of New Moon on my XP x64 for the past week or so, and it just works! For the heck of it, I tried to push the limits a slight bit up to ~5.5GB of memory usage by spawning a ton of tabs. No problems with that either, it just keeps working in a stable manner.

Thanks a lot! :)

Edited by GrandAdmiralThrawn

New Build!

32bit https://o.rthost.cf/palemoon/palemoon-27.6.0a1.win32-git-20171024-625677934-xpmod.7z

64bit https://o.rthost.cf/palemoon/palemoon-27.6.0a1.win64-git-20171024-625677934-xpmod.7z

Official repo changes since my last build:
- Convert resourcemonitor poll() to float, and break the loop immediately when done. (e6ea83a)
- Explicitly typecast GetAsNode() in nsINode.cpp (d9b9648)
- Merge pull request #1415 from trav90/build‐bustage‐fix (2f7f691)
- Convert toolbar images to variables on Windows theme (353798b)
- Convert organizer.css toolbar styles to variables on Windows (953841a)
- Improve appearance of downloads indicators on dark backgrounds on Windows (7fce7f2)
- Fade text on inactive windows on Win8/10 (a64c229)
- Use brighttext instead of lwtheme for download indicator on Windows (e7df390)
- Merge pull request #1416 from Lootyhoof/win‐button‐work (1cee46d)
- Import zlib update from UXP. (ccd49f0)
- Blocklist update (d4aac54)
- Confine Glass download icons to Windows Compositor mode (f5a0ca3)
- Merge pull request #1418 from Lootyhoof/win‐button‐work (c09757d)
- Move MediaDecoder::DecodedStreamData and related code to its own file (124b2d5)
- Notifications ‐ user settings ‐ the immediate duration of the alert (b140146)
- Notifications ‐ user settings ‐ the immediate duration of the alert (improvements) (169792d)
- Merge pull request #1420 from janekptacijarabaci/notifications_settings_1 (1bf1ce2)
- Merge pull request #1419 from trav90/media‐work (f9a610f)
- Improve logic of loadManifestFromZipReader. (2a18ead)
- Remove telemetry gathering from XPIProvider. (b41acc6)
- Guard against early states in UpdateNextFrameStatus (26b7de1)
- Create a wrapper class where MediaDecoder::mOutputStreams can move (e22202a)
- Move MediaDecoder::mOutputStreams to DecodedStream (738ad78)
- Remove dependency on MediaDecoder from DecodedStream (4faea12)
- Remove MediaDecoder::ConnectDecodedStreamToOutputStream() (281cd84)
- Remove MediaDecoder::DestroyDecodedStream() (f7f9094)
- Move stream connection code from MediaDecoder to DecodedStream (ad50da2)
- Move output stream code from MediaDecoder to DecodedStream (3c1cedc)
- Remove now unused functions (e4ee637)
- Make SystemResourceMonitor.stop more resilient to errors. (d3e2e53)

My changes since my last build:
- backed out commit ccd49f0 in favor of cloudflare-zlib
- Merged Feodor2/Mypal/commit/901dbd42a

13 hours ago, Flame. said:

Why of course there is! :)  https://addons.mozilla.org/ru/firefox/addon/suspend-tab/

SuspendTabOptions.png.4043eac0fb35c538221f86d2737b5932.png

Oh, and don't forget about heavy cavalry: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/bartab-tycho/

Also for some reason even disabling Javascript entirely the memory bug still exists and continues to climb on its own.

Is there one for Chrome?  Firefox just isn't playing the Twitter and Facebook videos and I'm using the latest version.

As for PaleMoon is their a portable version release so you can just dump it on the Ramdrive and run and defaults the cache location to the same drive stored?

Edited by 98SE

Thank you for continuing to update Palemoon.

What kind of performance are people getting on Youtube?

I disabled async and enabled VP9 in the options because the H26x was very slow, and it was also kind of distorted.  VP9 is crisp, but also slow.  My resolution is 1600x900.  My videocard is a GeForce 650.  The Operating system is XP x64, and the Palemoon version is also x64.

Videos are also choppy at 480p.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by dv_2

7 minutes ago, dv_2 said:

Thank you for continuing to update Palemoon.

What kind of performance are people getting on Youtube?

I disabled async and enabled VP9 in the options because the H26x was very slow, and it was also kind of distorted.  VP9 is crisp, but also slow.  My resolution is 1600x900.  My videocard is a GeForce 650.  The Operating system is XP x64, and the Palemoon version is also x64.

Videos are also choppy at 480p.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pale Moon XP get no Graphic card based acceleration for video playback (unless you use new OS and use OS' Media Foundation codecs).

So if your CPU is not fast enough, video playback may become choppy.

Yes, and no layer acceleration either:

palemoon1.thumb.jpg.6272576259e34b957f9c0d2c884e6292.jpg

Slower in fact than Firefox ESR.

palemoon2.thumb.jpg.ca3697910c59e124a46d65852b7fd7d9.jpg

Mozilla oddly removed all real acceleration on XP after something like Firefox 28.  Palemoon should at least be on par with Firefox in layer acceleration, no?  Not complaining or anything (I've never switched to Palemoon for this reason alone.  Heck, I could really use the 64-bit advantage of it.

Either way, I'll be forced to switch after Mozilla ends ESR for XP.