Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

34 minutes ago, Milkinis said:

I suspect the cause is your weak hardware not AVAST itself because I can't reproduce that feel here

my only concern with AVAST are the remote telemetry connections and I don't know what actual data is being transferred over to AVAST servers.

I tried to block their servers IP with the systems32/ hosts file but they get deleted as soon as I close the file... it's AVAST that found out a way to perform this trap of course

These posts are ancient and no longer current. Avast was the cause of all the problems and was completely uninstalled months ago. Your assumption is wrong.

5 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Avast was the cause of all the problems and was completely uninstalled months ago. Your assumption is wrong.

you can't say my assumption is wrong if you have no tried AVAST with better hardware..... did you ? can you define ''low on resources'' ?

3 minutes ago, Milkinis said:

you can't say my assumption is wrong if you have no tried AVAST with better hardware..... did you ? can you define ''low on resources'' ?

Of course, I can say that. And I do it once more. Your assumption is wrong. I used Avast Antivirus, Avast Internet Security and Avast Premier more than 10 years. I know all about them. And I tried it on different hardware. Avast was abandoned by me due to my posted experiences months ago.  Anyway! It's all water under the bridge. I use other, better and much lighter security software instead as I already wrote in this thread. What you are doing here is more of a body snatching kind of thing. Please, stop reviving old comments of mine! Or better, stop quoting me in general if possible! Thanks for that in advance! :o

1 minute ago, AstroSkipper said:

Of course, I can say that. And I do it once more. Your assumption is wrong. I used Avast Antivirus, Avast Internet Security and Avast Premier more than 10 years. I know all about them. And I tried it on different hardware. Avast was abandoned by me due to my posted experiences months ago.  Anyway! It's all water under the bridge. I use other, better and much lighter security software instead as I already wrote in this thread. What you are doing here is more of a body snatching kind of thing. Please, stop reviving old comments of mine! Or better, stop quoting me in general if possible! Thanks for that in advance! :o

I agree with the issues with avast and have switched to panda antivirus as my new lightweight antivirus and has worked really well for as long as I have used it (even on vista which is what i use now)

On 2/20/2023 at 4:38 PM, AstroSkipper said:

I think whether WiseVector StopX requires SSE2 or not is no longer important. It has been abandoned by the developers. Their interests now seem to be focused on an enterprise version to make money. smilie-winke-055.gif argent1.gif

that's what you get nowadays with pretty much any company there only in it for the money and profit (not the customer)

Edited by legacyfan

All has been said, some is good, some rather not. That's life. So let's get back on topic here before more such witty comments see the light of day and multiply like rabbits. 

This thread is about antivirus and security programs in Windows XP SP3. One of my last recommendations was Panda Dome.

I have been using it for a while, and it works flawlessly, without any problems. I am very happy with Panda. It really consumes few resources, and you hardly notice it in the background. In my system, a perfect choice without affecting the responsiveness of Windows XP and its installed applications. Of course, some exclusions have to be made in Panda, as it is the case in other antivirus programs, too. The installation of Panda Dome (two program folders) requires a total of only about 160 MB on the drive and uses about 120 MB RAM. The RAM usage may vary depending on what is going on in your system. Anyway! I think these are very good values for today's time. :thumbup

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

This thread is about antivirus and security programs in Windows XP SP3.

AstroSkipper, what is your opinion of ClamWin ? This is what I can suggest, I hope it's not russian. Sorry if this question was asked before.

Operating system : Windows 98 and newer

wikipedia.org/wiki/ClamWin_Free_Antivirus

6 hours ago, D.Draker said:

AstroSkipper, what is your opinion of ClamWin ? This is what I can suggest, I hope it's not russian. Sorry if this question was asked before.

Operating system : Windows 98 and newer

wikipedia.org/wiki/ClamWin_Free_Antivirus

I used ClamWin in Windows ME for a long time. It is still installed there, as this partition was never deleted due to historical reasons. Unfortunately, the detection rate is not that good, and the program does not have its own background guard. For this, one must additionally use an external tool called Clam Sentinel which unfortunately consumes a lot of resources in these old OSs. smilie_denk_24.gif But as far as I know, it is one of the last working AV programs for Win9x/ME. Under Windows XP, I would try to avoid it, unless it would be the last existing AV program for XP at all. The good is ClamWin is Opensource.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 minute ago, mina7601 said:

I am mainly nowadays a "virtual" XP user (after being a "real" XP user, don't know for how many years, but, surely for a long time). :angel

I am aware most users these days don't actually use XP as a daily basis unfortunately

there's an XP feature I very much like which W7 doesn't have this is the only reason I decided to stick to XP over the past 17 years

screenshot.28.png

11 minutes ago, Milkinis said:

I am aware most users these days don't actually use XP as a daily basis unfortunately

there's an XP feature I very much like which W7 doesn't have this is the only reason I decided to stick to XP over the past 17 years

screenshot.28.png

my main system is mostly vista now with windows 10 ltsc for newer programs and things

7 minutes ago, legacyfan said:

my main system is mostly vista now with windows 10 ltsc for newer programs and things

I'm planning to build a last rig for XP (4th gen intel) but I 'm not sure it's worthwhile to go that route.

I first need to try all of my software utilities (hundreds) with a lightweight W11 to see what they look like, that's a deal breaker to me coz I can't stand these icon's plain colorway

I neither updated some programs to the last version for the same reason because they look awuful to my eyes

Panda-Dome-2.png

I installed the chinese AV (WiseVector StopX) last summer when major geeks overviewed it but I just don't feel confident whit this kind of chinese stuff that runs unknown processes on startup despite being able to disable them