Which Antiviruses are Known for a Fact to be Working on XP SP3 as of 2019?

spacequakes

36 minutes ago, Ryder252 said:

Well my cpu is a core 2 quad so it supports up to SSE4.1, and the installer opens fine. The problem arises whenever the actual installation process begins - here's a picture of the generic error I receive every time(it should be noted that it fails consistently at the "Updating the system..." portion. Just a minute ago, it somehow managed to get all the way to "Finishing the installation" and the progress bar stopped right at the end before failing yet again.

Imagepipe_5.jpg

Ok. No SSE2 problem. You said all that happened after a clean reinstall of XP SP3. My next assumption is an essential component is missing or damaged while installing. I would check the Microsoft .NET Framework installation first. BTW, what version is the Panda Dome installer of you used for installation? The version of my offline installer is 15.14.5.0 with a size of 92.041.632 Bytes. And you should get rid of all remnants of previous Panda installations before you start the next attempt.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

3 hours ago, Ryder252 said:

The problem arises whenever the actual installation process begins - here's a picture of the generic error I receive every time

did you install the standalone extractor ? https://panda-free-antivirus.en.lo4d.com/download

I got the same error window but just taped on the download button while network is off and the installation ended up flowlessly

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

The version of my offline installer is 15.14.5.0 with a size of 92.041.632 Bytes.

The DIRECT download link to the off-line installer is

http://acs.pandasoftware.com/Panda/FREEAV/193309/FREEAV.exe

This is indeed of file version 15.14.5.0, it's DUAL-SIGNED on 2022/12/18, but its filesize here comes at only 73.9 MiB (77.535.680 bytes) :dubbio:...

Edit: @Milkinis: Please, refrain from providing third-party download links; "lo4d.com" are not affiliated themselves with PANDA ;) ; the link I posted above has been extracted from PANDA's official on-line (aka "stub") installer...

FWIW: Forums rule 1.b:

Download sources for official software should be from the vendor directly where possible.

Edited by VistaLover

3 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

The DIRECT download link to the off-line installer is

http://acs.pandasoftware.com/Panda/FREEAV/193309/FREEAV.exe

This is indeed of file version 15.14.5.0, it's DUAL-SIGNED on 2022/12/18, but its filesize here comes at only 73.9 MiB (77.535.680 bytes) :dubbio:...

Here is a screenshot of my offline and online installer taken from Total Commander:

Panda-installer.png

The sizes are in Bytes. :)

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:
3 hours ago, Ryder252 said:

Well my cpu is a core 2 quad so it supports up to SSE4.1, and the installer opens fine. The problem arises whenever the actual installation process begins - here's a picture of the generic error I receive every time(it should be noted that it fails consistently at the "Updating the system..." portion. Just a minute ago, it somehow managed to get all the way to "Finishing the installation" and the progress bar stopped right at the end before failing yet again.

Imagepipe_5.jpg

Ok. No SSE2 problem. You said all that happened after a clean reinstall of XP SP3. My next assumption is an essential component is missing or damaged while installing. I would check the Microsoft .NET Framework installation first. BTW, what version is the Panda Dome installer of you used for installation? The version of my offline installer is 15.14.5.0 with a size of 92.041.632 Bytes. And you should get rid of all remnants of previous Panda installations before you start the next attempt.

@Ryder252 It doesn't matter whether you use the online or offline installer. Both should work, or something is wrong in your system. I used the online installer, and it worked flawlessly. Check your network, partition or better, your whole system! At least, that's what I would do. :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

Just now, AstroSkipper said:

@Ryder252 It doesn't matter wheather you use the online or offline installer. Both should work, or something is wrong in your system. I used the online installer, and it worked flawlessly. Check your network, partition or better your whole system. At least, that's what I would do. :yes:

Okay, I believe the problem lies with the .NET Framework - I'll just have to do some digging to figure out what's going on. Whatever it is, I'm almost certain it's the same thing that's causing every security update(legacyupdate.net) for all .NET Framework versions to fail on my system. I'm afk at the moment, but I had the updates running one more time before I left. I'll check in on them when I get back, and will let you know if it miraculously works while I'm gone.

BTW thanks for all your help so far guys!

... Same filesize reported here for the stub-installer (filename PANDAFREEAV.exe, dual-signed on 20220312):

EDb9XSQ.png

Below, Windows Explorer's properties window for the offline setup (downloaded ca. 15min ago):

fK0bZFT.png

Every Windows user is expected to have Windows Explorer available, the same is not true for Total Commander ;) ... It's possible the file is compressed and TC just expands it somehow :dubbio:, or the file might have changed on Panda's servers since the date (20/02/2023 ?) you fetched it yourself :dubbio:...

Additionally, the third-party site (LO4D.com) posted above appears to agree with my report :):

lCfFiiF.png

Best regards :)

28 minutes ago, Ryder252 said:

Okay, I believe the problem lies with the .NET Framework - I'll just have to do some digging to figure out what's going on. Whatever it is, I'm almost certain it's the same thing that's causing every security update(legacyupdate.net) for all .NET Framework versions to fail on my system. I'm afk at the moment, but I had the updates running one more time before I left. I'll check in on them when I get back, and will let you know if it miraculously works while I'm gone.

BTW thanks for all your help so far guys!

There is a special tool to check a .NET Framework installation called .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool. Download it from the internet! The more recent tool is now called Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool. Here is its download page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

17 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... Same filesize reported here for the stub-installer (filename PANDAFREEAV.exe, dual-signed on 20220312):

EDb9XSQ.png

Below, Windows Explorer's properties window for the offline setup (downloaded ca. 15min ago):

fK0bZFT.png

Every Windows user is expected to have Windows Explorer available, the same is not true for Total Commander ;) ... It's possible the file is compressed and TC just expands it somehow :dubbio:, or the file might have changed on Panda's servers since the date (20/02/2023 ?) you fetched it yourself :dubbio:...

Additionally, the third-party site (LO4D.com) posted above appears to agree with my report :):

lCfFiiF.png

Best regards :)

I do not use the Windows Explorer directly. All file operations are only performed by me using Total Commander. The best Windows file manger ever! But for you as requested, a screenshot from my Windows Explorer additionally:

Panda-installer-2.png

I never observed any differences between WE and TC in terms of file sizes. I use TC since 1995. It's always the first tool I generally install in a new Windows partition. :thumbup

Greetings :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

2 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

But for you as requested, a screenshot from my Windows Explorer additionally:

Many thanks :), however I never requested anything myself ;) - it just so happens I don't have TC here to compare; BTW, I did not doubt/second guess you in the first place; it just appeared weird to me that a discrepancy exists between the file size you posted and the one I "measured" here in the recently downloaded, same file, copy :whistle:...

With the provided WE screenshot of yours, I can only conclude the file must have been, somehow, "trimmed" by Panda themselves... Don't know what else to think :unsure: ... The digital signature of the file I downloaded has been verified OK, so I guess I'm fine :)... As you pointed out already, the matter discussed here is not related to on/off-line installers per se, but to a defective .NET 4.0 installation in affected member's setup...

Regards, und gute Nacht :) ...

I always appreciate your investigations. Maybe, my installer is more recent, or there are different versions. I download it from Germany, maybe they redirect to another server or file. A lot of different possibilities. I downloaded it by myself and by using the online installer. Same sizes! Anyway!

7 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

Regards, und gute Nacht :) ...

Dito! :) Καληνυχτα!

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

There is a special tool to check a .NET Framework installation called .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool. Download it from the internet! The more recent tool is now called Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool. Here is its download page: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135

@Ryder252! As we all know, Windows XP is an old OS. I would try the .NET Framework Setup Verification Tool first. Strictly following the rule: old tool with old OS. Here is a link from archive.org as the original site is no longer available on Microsoft
https://web.archive.org/web/20170213203348/https://msdnshared.blob.core.windows.net/media/2016/10/netfx_setupverifier_new.zip 

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

3 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Edit: @Milkinis: Please, refrain from providing third-party download links; "lo4d.com" are not affiliated themselves with PANDA ;) ; the link I posted above has been extracted from PANDA's official on-line (aka "stub") installer...

FWIW: Forums rule 1.b:

I didn't find the official link hence I posted an alternate link from a reliable source

as for the the forum rule.... pfffff no comments. :wacko:

Hey! So after a few days of pulling my hair out, I instead decided to reformat and install a certain other Windows XP 'edition'. The difference is night and day, I mean wow. Panda installed the first time without a hitch, and I don't have to worry about installing updates at all now. As I believe Astroskipper had suggested, I went ahead and got Panda & MWAV both. And the AIO's for VC++ and .NET that Milkinis linked to were integrated in already! Highly recommend.

Edited by Ryder252