Aero Glass for Win8.1+ 1.5.1

@NoelC

Exactly, you only need it if you want glass at other places. And then the URL bar and search bar have greater heights, which is also Windows 10 only behavior. I use Firefox on Ubuntu occasionally, where I get the exact frame according to Window Decoration settings. It's only Windows 10 where it has to act differently.

Edited by UCyborg

I removed Windows 10 GUID from firefox.exe's manifest with Resource Hacker, then altered firefox.exe's last modified date by opening it and saving it again with Notepad++ for Windows to register new manifest (Resource Hacker doesn't do it). It's better to change the date with BulkFileChanger. Logging off might also be sufficient on recent Windows 10 builds.

FirefoxManifest.png.b4c8244a4becef40daac49f12c6b68cb.png

Now it thinks it runs on Windows 8.1 and behaves just like it does on said OS.

Firefox10AltManifest.thumb.png.4fb3302abd08cabf1f512893f82f380c.png

Edited by UCyborg
Notepad corrupts the file, Notepad++ doesn't

You'd think that setting a compatibility option in Explorer should have accomplished the same thing...

I just tried it and the caption buttons still look like crap.

Edit:  Changing the about:config setting browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar seems to have corrected that.  Now if I can find a way to show no tabs at all...  I happen to like windows.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

1 hour ago, NoelC said:

You'd think that setting a compatibility option in Explorer should have accomplished the same thing...

I just tried it and the caption buttons still look like crap.

Edit:  Changing the about:config setting browser.tabs.drawInTitlebar seems to have corrected that.  Now if I can find a way to show no tabs at all...  I happen to like windows.

-Noel

Thanks!

I tried it and it fixed it!

Edited by ori0749

Compatibility modes only hook legacy GetVersion and GetVersionEx APIs, Firefox uses VerifyVersionInfo. There is a bunch of CSS stuff in there that adjust UI differently if ran on Windows 10. Supposedly whole capability for querying OS version using CSS was implemented so the UI can adjust according to the used OS.

I'd really like to know where exactly Windows caches manifests. Because just saving the file with Resource Hacker didn't change anything. Only when the modified date changes on the .exe it will re-read the manifest. When you put back the original modified date, it will use original manifest.

Edited by UCyborg

• 3 weeks later...

Welp. This happened:

The Aero Glass tool got featured on a Linus Tech Tips video about customizing Windows 10 to resemble Windows 7. If you don't know what LTT is, it's one of the biggest tech channels on YouTube, with about 3.7 MILLION subscribers. I can safely say that the tool has gone mainstream.

I wonder if they donated...

Has anybody had luck with "SetWindowCompositionAttribute.exe" to make blur behind semi-transparent windows, such as powershell?  Any combinations of settings I try results in wacky colors or barely visible text.

I found two bugs in the latest Windows 10 RS version 1.5.2.

First is critical: AeroGlass hides additional button on the Metro window caption bar (to show app in the "tablet mode", see pics below).

Without AeroGlass (window has "diagonal arrows" button):

good.thumb.jpg.5e8983b6c4ec24c2ddb5739de3344916.jpg

With AeroGlass - no arrows button! Previous beta version don't have this bug but I lost that installation :(

bad.thumb.jpg.0bd9a0f912d16fa0d5d44bef9bc79568.jpg

Second bug isn't critical but will be good to get it fixed: AeroGlass creates two log files, one in installation folder but second on the root of drive C: 

Edited by SeNS

>Second bug isn't critical but will be good to get it fixed: AeroGlass creates two log files, one in installation folder but second on the root of drive C:

Excellent! After 2 months no corrected.

On 08.01.2017 at 3:46 PM, evgnb said:

After Aero Glass 1.5.2 installation the file "c:\debug.log" is permanently created in root folder c:\. How can i disable it?

Edited by evgnb

On 09/03/2017 at 4:37 PM, evgnb said:

>Second bug isn't critical but will be good to get it fixed: AeroGlass creates two log files, one in installation folder but second on the root of drive C:

Excellent! After 2 months no corrected.

create a empty debug.log file and apply read only to it. Then AeroGlass will not able to write to that file.

14 hours ago, Prado said:

http://ipic.su/img/img7/fs/Snimok.1489521875.png

.. after the updates 14.03.17 no symbols are loaded, there is a solution or put the folder with the latest ones.

25 minutes ago, alistair® said:

+1 on this. My symbols.bat file isn't pulling new symbols back so I get this error as well.

AeroGlass still works for me after the update "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 (KB4013429)" Windows 10 1607 x64