Creating a Full-Blown Compatibility Layer.

Dibya

Of course they are. The x64 is slightly newer and slightly different. Please note that "slightly" for Microsoft means "very" for us, as we still don't know how many things work. I really wish to see the source code of XP, but unfortunately, since it's a copyrighted OS, we will never have the chance to see it. Besides, we didn't have a clue back when we started studying the XP kernel, but thanks to people sharing their knowledge, we managed to understand some parts of it. Unfortunately,  "reverse engineering" is the only way to get how things work, but I failed several times with many decompilers, disassemblers and hex editors. The same goes for Dibya who tried several different approaches with several different ways and programs and who is still trying to figure out certain things, but he is doing a great job and a huge effort, and he is definitely moving forward, bit by bit. In the meantime, I kept working on the .net framework on my own, but I'm getting closer to a dead end: assemblies using API calls as dependencies for certain tasks which, unfortunately, are not in XP. In other words, if everything goes well, I'll be able to really make the newer . NET frameworks work in XP, BUT certain functions won't and programs may break or be corrupted out of the blue. :(

Edited by FranceBB

thanks a lot my friend.

Today i opened beta archive . They don't have knowledge started going against me .

Big fools are those people

please see here :: https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=36177

Surely my xp run better than 7 even 7 runs better than 10.

They told there is no titan x driver for xp that true but what wrong in moding inf see here :: http://mattpilz.com/windows-xp-drivers-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-980-980-ti-titan-x/

THey said it is impossible to have 16gb ram in XPx86 , will you believe that?

more over they said xp is unstable in modern hardware  , which is the biggest froud word in earth.

IN my skylake i7 6700k windows xp run smoother than 7 . OH god save me from such hell words

Dibya, it is not IMNSHO a good thing to post here badmouthing or attempting to shame people on another forum, particularly by addressing the WHOLE set of members of that forum as "not having knowledge" or as "fools".

If you have any issues with any of the members of Beta Archive, solve those issues with them there, please.

And yes, though I am very, very rarely there, I am a member over there too, and I can assure you that your generic "labels" of "ignorant" or "fool" don't apply to the whole community.

And to be fair, if the accusation is about some of them being Windows 7 (or later) fanboys, you did start as a pure XP fanboy, stating apodictically how much Windows XP is faster than 7, than bragging about how fast and stable is your XP compared to your Windows 7.

jaclaz

Not only jaclaz is right, but your running XP perfectly on a Skylake is a question of point-of-view, in that you surely aren't being able to use at all the chipset's own USB 3.0 ports in USB 3.0 mode, nor the on-chip HD 530 GPU. I'm really glad you're fully satisfied with what XP offers you, and working on improving it, too. But, for most people, Ivy Bridge / Cougar Point or Ivy Bridge-E /Patsburg are the latest possible Intel machnes to run XP SP3 really perfectly. Windows XP rocks! But people has the right to disagree.

@Dibya you have a PM. Besides, here is a more accurate list. Feel free to PM me back. I wrote it here so that if anyone knows something about these functions can contact us.

GetApplicationRecoveryCallback, GetApplicationRestartSettings, GetProductInfo, GetThreadPreferredUILanguages. GetThreadUILanguage, K32GetMappedFileNameW, K32GetModuleFileNameExW, QueryFullProcessImageNameW, WerGetFlags, Wow64DisableWow64FsRedirection, Wow64RevertWow64FsRedirection, DeleteProcThreadAttributeList, InitializeProcThreadAttributeList, EtwEventWriteNoRegistration, EtwGetTraceEnableFlags, EtwGetTraceEnableLevel, EtwGetTraceLoggerHandle, EtwRegisterTraceGuidsW, EtwTraceMessage, EtwUnregisterTraceGuids, NtAlpcConnectPort, NtAlpcSendWaitReceivePort, NtApphelpCacheControl, ShipAssert, WinSqmAddToStreamEx, WinSqmIncrementDWORD, WinSqmSetDWORD, WinSqmSetIfMaxDWORD, GetProductInfo, QueryFullProcessImageNameW, WerGetFlags, strcat_s, strcpy_s.

By the way, I'm getting some weird things going on. Windows XP does support C++ Redistributable 'till the 2015 one (the very last one released), BUT I'm getting errors related to the MSVCRT library which should be updated.

I assume that Microsoft released a different version of MSVCRT for XP, as it doesn't have _except_handler4_common, _vsnprintf_s, strcpy_s, strncpy_s.

For everyone: please note that an OS is not just made by a kernel, but has different APIs managed by: Hal.dll, NTDLL.dll, Kernel32.dll, Gdi32.dll, User32.dll, Comctl32.dll, Ws2_32.dll, AdvAPI.dll, NetApi32.dll, Shscrap.dll, Winmm.dll. These are SYSTEM DLLs which have SYSTEM APIs inside, used by different programs and they have all been updated in newer OS.

Then, there are the C and C++ runtime libraries which are installed via the C++ Redistributable: MSVCRT.dll, MSVCP.dll, CRT.dll which I still don't know why the XP ones don't have certain functions... did Microsoft block them in XP by purpose? And why?

And then, "dulcis in fundo" (last but not least), the .NET, which includes Microsoft Foundation Classes relying on the MFC.dll (XP has the MFC 10.0.40219.325 - August 2011, while newer Windows can run the MFC 14.0.24212.0 - August 2016), so we have the mfc100.dll, instead of the mfc140.dll, the mscorelib.dll, the System.Windows.Forms.dll and others...

Edited by FranceBB

@jaclaz I am really sorry . But how will you feel if you started a thread for a purpose changed to something else . Thread was started by me but admin/mod/someone changed my name to ovctvct . Great job my anger was taken to some what level . Then there rule is to allow post after first 3 post but did it after 9 post in case of me after informing them via email. Then say me is there any to control temper.

@dencorso I am really wish to go there and say good bye with a big list why i am leaving them for their .

@FranceBB I will try to put those function . I already fixed _except_handler4_common with msvcrt build of BWC i hope he will not be angry.

Friends I found another nice idea if we able to backport https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hotfix/kbhotfix?kbnum=2553708&kbln=en-us to xp we will get 512e and 4k sector support in xp.

Edited by Dibya

@Dibya

JFYI, first part here:

https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems-and-poets/poems/detail/46473

deals with the issue nicely and precisely.

The "advice" was written around 1895, so it's not an entirely new phenomenon, it happens to everyone to feel angered, the "trick" is to learn to keep that anger under control.

jaclaz