Server 2012 Updates on Windows 8

Jody Thornton

Yes after several attempts (and making sure that I have the right update), KB4025343 (which is the security-only update for Server 2012) does not install on Windows 8.  I get a 0x80070002 error show up in Event Viewer.

Trying to run "DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth" to see if this fixes the issue, but it's just the single update

Edit/Update:  After cleaning the Component Store, the update still fails :(

Edited by JodyT
Update

I attempted installation of the monthly rollup.  It has also failed.

Be mindful of the fact that I've attempted uninstalling this month's Flash, IE10 and last month's security-only update.  I then ran a cleanup of my Component Store using the DISM command discussed earlier.  Then I installed the removed updates after a restart.  They all worked.  But not this month's rollup or security-only patches.

It has to be something specific to this month's updates.

:(

One added not.  I attempted running the Windows Update Repair Tool: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/instantanswers/512a5183-ffab-40c5-8a68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter

Sadly, it also failed with a 0x80070002 error.

5 minutes ago, greenhillmaniac said:

You should try extracting the cab file from the update and install it using dism... Might work.

(Extract it with 7-Zip or a similar program, and then run the comand: "dism /online /add-package /packagepath:C:\packages\KBXXXXXXX.cab")

I will do that later this morning.  My cat woke me up early ....lol - It's 6am here and I've been up for two hours

Try installing the latest Servicing Stack update. It updates the updating component of the OS: https://mega.nz/#!pwJAUTCC!sqbMYxNOfcissfQAQWMzjrf9_15hBVuKLFbupOif-Vk (from my repository :))

Speaking of which:

• Latest Flash Player update added;
  • Latest IE10 and Security Only updates added (the June and July ones were missing)
  • Latest Monthly Rollup added;
  • Latest timezone update added (in the Extras folder).

These changes reflect both the x64 and x86 repositories.

https://mega.nz/#F!ExhDEbDA!pUhzXKVp5-hgzvylW_btfQ

Edited by greenhillmaniac

Valiant attempt at a suggestion my friend, but alas it still failed.  Now I had run a reg hack awhile that hid Libraries.  When an update makes libraries reappear again, you can experience renaming directory issues.  I re-hid the libraries again, thinking maybe this was causing file directory structure issues for Windows Update, but no, that wasn't it.

Oh well, don't stress yourself greenhillmaniac, but do I appreciate your suggestions.  It was a weird one.  Maybe others will chime in with their experience.

:)

I was able to install the July 2017 Monthly Rollup with no problems on my Windows 8 system: http://prntscr.com/fvhkrn

As such, this issue seems to be exclusive to your system, Jody... At least we know that Microsoft didn't do anything (whether it be intentional or unintentional) to cause any future Server 2012 updates to fail to install in Windows 8.

7 hours ago, 2008WindowsVista said:

I was able to install the July 2017 Monthly Rollup with no problems on my Windows 8 system: http://prntscr.com/fvhkrn

As such, this issue seems to be exclusive to your system, Jody... At least we know that Microsoft didn't do anything (whether it be intentional or unintentional) to cause any future Server 2012 updates to fail to install in Windows 8.

Crap.  I was almost hoping someone else had the experience.  I just wonder what's missing on my system, especially when EVERY OTHER update works.  Wow, I just can't figure this one out.  I was even trying to go through the DISM and the CBS log just to see if I could decipher anything.

EDIT/UPDATE: Went through clearing out the Software Distribution folder and re registering all of the DLL components for Windows Update.  Still no improvement.  If worse comes to worse, I will try both the rollup and security-only for August, and see if it updates.

Edited by JodyT

Ta-Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Thanks to SFC /scannow.  I was able to update, but because it reset WinMail.exe to the original file, I have to re-apply the Windows Mail hack to get it working again on Windows 8.  Oh and also MS Paint - I need to grab that again from Vista

:)

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Cheers All!

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Stefan43 said:

Are those updates only for English systems, or do they work on Dutch installations too? And I assume the updates are downloaded straight from Microsoft Update Catalog?

The updates are language agnostic and yes, I downloaded them directly from Microsoft.

(In case you don't really trust me, you can check the SHA1)

4 minutes ago, greenhillmaniac said:

The updates are language agnostic and yes, I downloaded them directly from Microsoft.

(In case you don't really trust me, you can check the SHA1)

Thanks. If you say they are directly from Microsoft, then I trust you. :) Thanks for maintaining the repository!

Edited by Stefan43