Pale Moon 26 for Atom/XP doesn't start with POSReady registry hack

Agorima

You saw that too.  I wanted to reply to the guy.  However, Moonchild has reversed his decision.

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=10829&start=40

That post removal was the last straw, I had to register and say something. I did try to reply after the post disappeared. Mine has also disappeared or was never approved, one or the other.

If nothing else, here is the best quote from that post, preserved for posterity. It sums up the whole issue of XP compatibility in PM up from beginning to end, from dropping support in the main code line to the POSReady block:

"...have gone from really liking PaleMoon to simply hating it less than all of the other options..."

well said, whoever you were!

Looks like the guy is not that stiff after all. Too bad we had to do harsh talk and all that stuff to get him take the right decision where there is a choice and responsibility is entirely on the user for unsupported configurations.

Now let's hope there won't come the usual trolls/shills that fill their board with POSReady-related alleged bugs that would make him flip the switch again for good. But you know hope is a b!tch so…

(typos, as always…)

Edited by Drugwash

You saw that too.  I wanted to reply to the guy.  However, Moonchild has reversed his decision.

That post removal was the last straw, I had to register and say something. I did try to reply after the post disappeared. Mine has also disappeared or was never approved, one or the other.

If nothing else, here is the best quote from that post, preserved for posterity. It sums up the whole issue of XP compatibility in PM up from beginning to end, from dropping support in the main code line to the POSReady block:

"...have gone from really liking PaleMoon to simply hating it less than all of the other options..."

Darn, I wish you had the rest of his post, and yours ... lol.  Oh well.  I really liked his, and I never got to read yours.

Looks like the guy is not that stiff after all. Too bad we had to do harsh talk and all that stuff to get him take the right decision where there is a choice and responsibility is entirely on the user for unsupported configurations.

Now let's hope there won't come the usual trolls/shills that fill their board with POSReady-related alleged bugs that would make him flip the switch again for good. But you know hope is a b!tch so…

(typos, as always…)

True. Here's hoping... lol :angel

Darn, I wish you had the rest of his post, and yours ... lol.  Oh well.  I really liked his, and I never got to read yours.

Apparently my first post got lost in the shuffle along with the other one. A bit fishy, but all's well that ends well I guess... :unsure:

I just noticed there's a new subforum out there for XP Embedded/POSReady systems, as promised: link. Maybe the original poster could add this link to first post of this topic so people having trouble with PaleMoon 26.0 and later would know where to head to.

If hope is a b!tch then hoping is b!itchin'…? :whistle::lol:

"...have gone from really liking Pale Moon to simply hating it less than all of the other options..."

I'm "that guy" and now I'm here, for whatever that's worth.  :D  A friend of mine brought what was going on over at the Pale Moon forums to my attention. I'd registered for their forum back in late 2014 for some reason or another and never ended up having anything to say ... until that point. I threw my hat into the ring, and my (first-ever) posting was approved by their moderation staff.

I checked into the thread later to see what was being said and was absolutely shocked to find that my posting was gone and I'd been permanently banned from their forum! Their forum software offered to let me e-mail their administration and so I did, explaining that to the best of my knowledge I had neither violated their rules or said anything inappropriate.

They have reinstated my account and reversed the ban, stating that it was a mistake on their part. Unfortunately, the post I wrote did not come back and I didn't think to take a copy of it. I never expected that it would result in my being given the boot!

The end of the story goes like this: by the time I wrote that post, I'd already begun the switch back to Firefox. And while I've got no grudge against the folks developing Pale Moon, I think it's best that I simply move on to different browser software. I don't feel right using their software any longer.

If either of you, or anyone else, would like to contact me, feel free to send me a private message here.

I think it is funny how the PaleMoon website complains that "We simply do not have the manpower or resources to continue updating and maintaining multiple different versions of the same product."

http://www.palemoon.org/PM_end_of_WinXP_support.shtml

Yes, it's not like they could simply build ONE installer that works on all OS versions from XP SP2 through Windows 10, as Chrome, Firefox, Opera, have done for years.

Programming is not a walk in the park. I'm an amateur programmer (at best) and even simple scripts I build for my main 98SE system sometimes require major tweaks in order to be able to run (correctly) under XP, 7 or later. A project as complex as a modern browser would require much more for an (almost) perfect behavior under different OS versions, especially considering security. Of course, some of us don't care much if at all about that, we don't do online banking/shopping/etc., we don't keep critical/private data on our (browsing) computers but many people do and they need to be safe.

For now there is the Atom/XP build of Pale Moon and that should be enough for us. Alternatives are provided on the very page linked above. Anyone up to maintaining a full-XP compatible fork of main-line Pale Moon in a long term…?