January tip

go98

If you create a shortcut on the desktop using this method: right-click a file in explorer or on the start menu -> Send to -> Desktop (create shortcut), there's another of those unnecessary dialogs that pops up every time. If you want to get rid of that, you can hexedit shell32.dll at:

search for the bytes 6A 40 68 37 10 00 00 68 14, then change the first two bytes to EB 1B

(I have 98 SE, but other versions may have the same dialog and fix).
:cool:

Note: the SendTo target is Send to (separate words) in my language version.

Edited by go98

I don't understand the problem. On my SE system I just now did a right-click drag of my desktop folder into my SendTo folder and upon release selected "Create Shortcut Here". It did it without any extra dialogs. So what exactly is the method you are refering to and what is the "extra" dialog?

There is also a special empty file named "Desktop (create shortcut)" that sometimes mysteriously appears in the SendTo folder (but I don't know how to create it on-demand). Files sent to it will get a shortcut created on the Desktop.

edit: quick reply posts are being mangled again....

Edited by jumper

I don't understand the problem. On my SE system I just now did a right-click drag of my desktop folder into my SendTo folder and upon release selected "Create Shortcut Here". It did it without any extra dialogs. So what exactly is the method you are refering to and what is the "extra" dialog?

There is also a special empty file named "Desktop (create shortcut)" that sometimes mysteriously appears in the SendTo folder (but I don't know how to create it on-demand). Files sent to it will get a shortcut created on the Desktop.

edit: quick reply posts are being mangled again....

When you create certain shortcuts to the desktop, you get a popup screen. I think it varies on the extension. go98 patch removes the popup.

post-75997-0-13157600-1452403958_thumb.j

Sorry, I was confused by the misplaced modifier:

"If you create a shortcut for a file to be placed on the desktop"

It should read:

"If you create on the desktop a shortcut to a file"

And mistook the following parenthetical as an example of what you were trying to create, not a method for creating it. :blushing:

> (right-click -> send to -> Desktop (create shortcut) )

The special "Desktop (create shortcut) " SendTo target is the "mysterious" one I mentioned--because it wasn't there, and then it was!

All that said, when I test the original process and create on the desktop a shortcut to a file using the right-click -> send to -> Desktop (create shortcut) method, a shortcut is indeed created but without any pop-up. I've tested many file types ranging from EXE and REG to URL and LNK. What file type was involved in you pic, PROBLEMCHYLD?

My Shell32.dll is unmodified original Win98se -- 4/23/99 checksum 0x00162873 (DW).

Footnote: shortcuts to BAT files created with this method go to my temp folder, not to the desktop!

Edited by jumper

There may be a specific combination of files that triggers that popup. I have the exact same file as jumper (checksum included) and there's always the confirmation popup. Could be related to explorer.exe or any other system file(s) that were updated, as I vaguely recall this behavior is not present on a vanilla installation (but I may be wrong on that).

My explorer.exe is v4.72.3612.1710 and is dated 2013 which means it's been patched for something at that time - I probably replaced some banner bitmap or something.

• 2 weeks later...

What is interesting to me is that nobody notice it until now. :)

It shows up if you have IE v5.0.2919.6307 or greater and "Active Dektop" enabled.

I found a similar solution years ago because to me it was very annoying

but I've never published it because it seems that nobody cares about that popup.

It works with any file except shortcuts. Right-Click your hard drive, Send to, Desktop (create shortcut) the dialog will popup. Patch it and no more popups. I have tried most file types and they all seem to work.

When I right-click on the hard drive, the context menu does not have the SendTo item. It is only in the context menu for files and folders. I have stock IE 5.00.2614.3500 with Active Desktop disabled.

Edited by jumper

[ OT ]

When I right-click on the hard drive, the context menu does not have the SendTo item. It is only in the context menu for files and folders. ...

Use this tip
http://www.mdgx.com/newtip22.htm#FCMST

I noticed that Windows 7 is mentioned at that link. Jumper's behavior is the default behavior for Windows 7 as well. If you want a shortcut on your desktop to one of your drives you can simply click on the drive and drag it to your desktop and a shortcut will be created. Right-click and drag to see other options. I don't remember what the behavior is for Win9x/ME in this situation.

In any case, I've never seen that popup, which would definitely be very annoying, and getting rid of it is the purpose of this thread, so my comments are slightly Off-Topic.
[ /OT ]

Cheers and Regards