Will Windows 8.1 "Expire" If Kept Offline?

NoelC

I am running a fully legitimate, licensed, activated copy of Windows 8.1 x64 Pro MCE.

I've been refining a "no Windows Updates, no system networking allowed by firewall" configuration, as I'd like to keep my current perfectly working, privacy-enhanced setup running indefinitely (not moving to Win 10 yet, if ever).

By blocking Windows 8.1's attempts to communicate regularly with Microsoft's servers, am I setting myself up for it to deactivate itself in the future?  I'm concerned that Microsoft may have built in a time bomb.

If the answer is yes, I can consider occasionally opening the firewall (ideally as little as possible) and allow it to do occasional license or Windows Update checks - though the chances I'll be actually installing any more of Microsoft's actual updates are slim.

As you can imagine, the information online on or around this subject is more oriented to making an unlicensed installation activated.  Let's avoid discussing that if at all possible, that's not my intent.

Thanks for any knowledge on keeping Windows 8.1 running "off the grid" that you're willing to share.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

Thanks guys.  Yes, it's a retail edition.

No, I have not fooled with the clock, nor would I want to.  I have a number of other activated applications that would be adversely affected by that.  And I've already run it this way for more than a week.  I was thinking ahead to the longer term.  I knew that Win 7 normally has scheduled activation check logic that runs every 3 months, but it's not in the same place in the Task Scheduler in Win 8.1, so that made me curious.

Thanks for the slmgr command, cdob, this makes me feel more confident:

PermanentlyActivated.png

-Noel

Yes, it's a retail edition.

The manufacturer documentation lists:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn502540.aspx

Slmgr.vbs Options for Volume Activation

Applies To: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2

/xpr [Activation ID]

Display the activation expiration date for the product. By default, this refers to the current Windows edition and is primarily useful for KMS clients, because MAK and retail activation is perpetual.

The slmgr command and documentation shows the same activation duration for a retail version: permanent

I am running a fully legitimate, licensed, activated copy of Windows 8.1 x64 Pro MCE.

I've been refining a "no Windows Updates, no system networking allowed by firewall" configuration, as I'd like to keep my current perfectly working, privacy-enhanced setup running indefinitely (not moving to Win 10 yet, if ever).

By blocking Windows 8.1's attempts to communicate regularly with Microsoft's servers, am I setting myself up for it to deactivate itself in the future?  I'm concerned that Microsoft may have built in a time bomb.

If the answer is yes, I can consider occasionally opening the firewall (ideally as little as possible) and allow it to do occasional license or Windows Update checks - though the chances I'll be actually installing any more of Microsoft's actual updates are slim.

As you can imagine, the information online on or around this subject is more oriented to making an unlicensed installation activated.  Let's avoid discussing that if at all possible, that's not my intent.

Thanks for any knowledge on keeping Windows 8.1 running "off the grid" that you're willing to share.

-Noel

So I am curious.  When were the latest updates installed?  Or what have been the newest patches placed on your system?  Was Update 1 installed?  Where's the cutoff point?

:)

It's up to date as of a few weeks ago, sans a number of updates that I have chosen to hide (i.e., virtually all of them that proposed to facilitate the Windows 10 "up"grade or add telemetry).

This is the full list of those that I hid before making the divorce final:

KB2976978

KB2999226

KB3035583

KB3046480

KB3068708

KB2075249

KB3080149

KB3083711

I didn't come to this decision lightly.  I've always kept up to date with all Windows Updates since there were Windows Updates, and always got good service from my Windows installations.  My change of approach stems from Microsoft's change of stance.  They're not going in a direction I agree with.  Right now I have a perfectly viable Windows setup on a very powerful computer, which will serve me for some time just as it is.

-Noel

It's up to date as of a few weeks ago, sans a number of updates that I have chosen to hide (i.e., virtually all of them that proposed to facilitate the Windows 10 "up"grade or add telemetry).

This is the full list of those that I hid before making the divorce final:

Which is a subset of the list of updates from here - How to avoid being "upgraded to Win 10" against your will.

Cheers and Regards

All versions of Windows I use are retail boxes editions.

This is my applications server running Win7 Ultimate in DMZ (I couldn't not afford buying a server edition).

Not patched since April, Winupdate disabled, running 24*7, last rebooted one month ago because of power supply failure and no plan to reboot it anymore.

lzIDKEW.png

My main PC running win 8.1 std (pro was too expensive) with same configuration: winupdate disabled and no patches since April:

wLQNDUs.png

So it seams we are fine with retail boxed editions since they are permanently activated, probably OEM are too, I will check when a client bring me a PC for repair.

Edit: Forgot to say that all known URL (http or https) are blocked at my router/squid proxy so no license checking can be made by these hosts.

Ridrok

Edited by Ridrok

I am curious about this I have a few old vms that were converted from physical machines I wounder how they might have been affected. Ill have to check this out tonight. 

Update:

I had 4 VMs

Windows Server 08 R2 (technet licence) Last on late 2014 still activated

Windows Server 08 (technet licence) Last on Late 2014 still activated

Windows 7 Starter (oem licence) converted from physical PC using myoldpcs failed to start (i made it in a 3ed party version of virtual box that I no longer have the installer for)

Windows 8.1 (system builder licence) converted from physical PC using Paragon Drive P2V needed to be reactivated but no time restriction as far as I could see

All VMs were booted without network adapters

Edited by helpdesk98

I don't see why it should expire. And if it does, it'll be a benign expiry.

I'm not sure whether - or even how - to take that comment seriously.

As for "why" I asked the question, Microsoft has turned into raving lunatics who no longer have the talent to program a decent operating system, so they let their Marketing morons take over and now they're outright predatory, using up the reputation their company built over a lifetime. 

Don't look now, but they're using their foot-in-the-door to push things people don't want.  Last I looked, that was the realm of MALWARE.

You don't think they're going to do nefarious things to try to get people off the older operating systems they're using quite successfully in order to push the new ad delivery system onto them?  Do you think MALWARE writers deliver more legitimate software over time?

-Noel