Windows 10 - Deeper Impressions

xper

It's not like Unix is better, though.  It's an undisciplined mess.  I'm not sure it could carry the weight of expectations to be a good general purpose computing platform.  But at least it's free from the worst parts of being closed and used by an evil corporate entity to steal from you.  Except that some variants ARE put forth by such entities.

Somehow the source code for Vax/VMS needs to become available in the public domain.  Then someone port it to Intel processors (which I think has or is being done), and finally to re-implement Win32 on top of it.  No part of that is an impossible task.

Thing is, a majority of programmers tend to not be very careful, so you get junkware.  I've just been working with some open source code lately, and man, some of it is downright garbage.  Doesn't ANYONE else see the merit in raising the warning level to max and actually FIXING all the warnings?

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

I have nothing against Linux, in fact I would rather dump Bob 10 and use any other OS so I tried Linux Mint briefly given how much attention it gets in the Linux world (Sorry Ubuntu GUI is a miserable failure). The USABILITY of Mint with Cinnamon (their flagship desktop environment), MATE or Xfce is close to the usability of Windows 95 beta builds (Codename Chicago). :lol: 

I still prefer Linux even if Mark Shuttleworth has taken Ubuntu to a level not many like...His millions haven't actually improved it....(my opinion)...

I Still prefer Debian...they get a lot of criticism for being slow with their releases but that is how it has always been...they have a routine that they stick to...

I like Xfce because it is light and I can have a Mac like Cairo-dock for my apps....

Of course things need fixing at times and that is where it would be impossible for a run of the mill Windows user to fix...and makes it less attractive to Windows users thinking of making a move...all this is old news....

If you make the effort to really learn Linux...then I think the positive side outway the negative side....(again my opinion)

8 hours ago, NoelC said:

It's not like Unix is better, though.  It's an undisciplined mess.  I'm not sure it could carry the weight of expectations to be a good general purpose computing platform.  But at least it's free from the worst parts of being closed and used by an evil corporate entity to steal from you.  Except that some variants ARE put forth by such entities.

Somehow the source code for Vax/VMS needs to become available in the public domain.  Then someone port it to Intel processors (which I think has or is being done), and finally to re-implement Win32 on top of it.  No part of that is an impossible task.

Thing is, a majority of programmers tend to not be very careful, so you get junkware.  I've just been working with some open source code lately, and man, some of it is downright garbage.  Doesn't ANYONE else see the merit in raising the warning level to max and actually FIXING all the warnings?

-Noel

I agree with you NoelC...just because it is open source...doesn't mean it is good...I do, however (not just my opinion) think the fact that being open source it comes from a community of people that work together to produce (not always good) products that make Linux the most interesting OS software out there...

AND...

As I have said on more than one occasion Linux is not easy and demands work....but then so does Windows if you really want to know the ins and outs (nuts and bolts) of it...

With a risk of repeating myself...don't mind doing that when it comes to Linux....If the games community would really take an interest in Linux - then there isn't much left to really keep people with Windows...I wish....................

bookie32

Well I did make a tremendous effort to learn Linux and set it up close to the desktop I had on Windows. I found Xfce's WhiskerMenu quite decent. But still couldn't get close to Windows-level of usability so gave up:

CeQAjmKUkAAq-8H.jpg:large

I am running build 14361 as my main drive, on bare metal.  When I decide it is better to clean install rather than upgrade, I run a batch file in a portable folder which installs every program I run.  Some are portable, some are silent install, and some are not silent install.  Keys I need are copied to the desktop.  All my registry edits, registry ownerships, file ownerships, themes, and customizations are automatically taken care of.  I integrate all my up-to-date drivers into the ISO before I clean install, and create a bootable USB drive using diskpart.  So after the 15 minutes it takes for installation, I just right-click and run the batch file as administrator.  Then I sit back and watch.  When all is done, and my system has rebooted, I install Windows Media Center with a special theme, and the ability to mount DVD ISOs, and play MKVs.  Then I clean out windows.old, and run a few registry cleanup programs, and I am done.  I have a beautiful Windows 10 install, and it does not give me any trouble.  It just works, original amazing start menu, and all.  Cortana can shut my computer off, log out, restart, create restore points, put computer to sleep, and check restore points all by voice command.  Life could not be better.  Here is a shot of my beautiful Windows Explorer.  

screenshot_40.png

helpdesk98 wrote:

needs lots of work lol

"Needs" lots of work?  What does Win 10 do that you need?

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the desktop in Win 10 is an eyesore, and I've put plenty of effort into reworking it...  It can be made better, but the problem I keep running up against...

Why bother?

Microsoft is about to break it again with the RS1 summer release.  It's all "our way or the highway, bub" and "we're going to wear you down" now.

If only they'd build in something worth having, THEN it would be worth taking further.  As it is, you have to ask yourself why you would want to have to rework it over and over and over just to have it be usable. 

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

On Thursday, June 09, 2016 at 4:32 AM, greenhillmaniac said:

Windows Server 2012 Updates for Windows 8 (managed by JodyT and I. See forum post below) :

https://mega.nz/#F!t1ZFkAZQ!-ITPYBfDLeODe3in9FzwKw

Did you find a way to provide new Patch Tuesday updates for Windows 8? I didn't see an actual forum post about it.

Those files that include "RT" in the name, I assume are for Windows RT and not for Win8? (In fact, they all seem to have the RT in the name.  :unsure:)

--JorgeA

UPDATE: I found the thread. :)

Edited by JorgeA

@NoelC I am just having fun with it. The picture in my previous post with the kinda classic environment on Windows 10 was me messing around with Visual Studio in an attempt to make explorer what it once was (mostly has a joke). I am surprised I got as far as I did in around an hour of messing around. 

Ultimately with Windows 10 its not worth using on a real/production machine (at this point maybe at no point at all). I will be sticking with Windows 8.1 and 7 for the time being only moving when the time comes and trying to make aging systems preform a modern task is worthless, however, I will all ways experiment with new and old versions of operating systems; I find it enjoyable.

@Microsoft quit trying to be your completion it doesn't work. be something new and exciting!

I don't think staying back on an old version will keep forever, but I for one held back from upgrading to Vista until the second service pack, and from upgrading to Windows 8 until 8.1 came out.

Those were some of the best decisions I ever made.

Not that I was ignorant about what they did - like you I ran them and tested them, so I knew exactly why I was holding back.  But sometimes the value just isn't there.  I can imagine that others - e.g., dhjohns above - really like the cloud integration.  It's really just a matter of Microsoft not taking Windows in the direction I need to go, but of course I'm not everyone.

Frankly, this business of them promising to pop out an in-place upgrade a few times a year is one of the worst attributes from my perspective - but of course I *could* just keep running a version of Windows 10 and avoid the full build upgrade.  There are no clear paths, just intelligent choices.

-Noel

On Thursday, June 09, 2016 at 6:15 AM, MrGRiM said:

Latest build has broken all my custom context menus, they now result in a black screen and explorer restarts, I did manage to get some of them working again like this one for example.

Over time, this could become really tedious. How long before those of us who want a certain look, start feeling like Sisyphus?

...being forced to roll an immense boulder up a hill, only to watch it roll back down, repeating this action for eternity.

But FWIW, thank you for all the good work you've done on that front. :thumbup

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

On Thursday, June 09, 2016 at 7:07 AM, TELVM said:

Just add &t=XXmYYs to the video url, where XX is the minutes and YY the seconds you want the video to start at.

Or add #t=ZZZZ , where ZZZZ is the total amount of seconds to the point where you want the video to start at.

In this case,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwlQvjwYFEM

would become:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwlQvjwYFEM&t=53m10s

or:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwlQvjwYFEM#t=3190

That's a nifty feature!! Thanks for the tip.

--JorgeA

I would agree that is good practice gives you a chance to see what is what and how others have responded and make your own choices from there. Windows 10 is my playground for now at least until I get tired of it and move on to other things lol. btw can you get older versions of task manager to work on 10?

On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 5:37 PM, Shining Escuridao said:

anyone who slightly knows a little more than the average user is pretty much revered as a tech guru as they have more vision as to what they want the system to do rather than use it for facebook/twitter/social media and the occasional word document. Just my opinion on the matter though.

That's exactly what happened in my family! As known well by anyone who reads my stuff around this forum ;) , I'm no IT professional, but thanks to my interest in technology I've become the go-to guy whenever there's a question involving computers, peripherals and accessories, or even smartphones. (Yeah, yeah, I can hear some of you groaning "OMG, those poor folks!")

There's a Spanish saying that goes, "en el país de los ciegos, el tuerto es rey." Translated to English, it means "in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king." At home, I'm that one-eyed man.  :)

--JorgeA

2 hours ago, helpdesk98 said:

btw can you get older versions of task manager to work on 10?

Sure. You can use the one provided in the WinRE environment for Win 8.1...  It may be the same as supplied in the WinRE for Win 10, I don't know.  Apparently the version checks are eliminated.

OldTaskMgrInWindows10.png

You need to copy the exe and a few other files, and as you can see it's quite possible to have both the old and new one.  Just keep the files separate (I have them in C:\BIN).  I found the info about exactly what files to copy online (maybe winaero.com or askvg.com?) a long time ago, and as I recall there was an archive provided that had the files in it - though I went and got my own just to be safe.  You may be able to turn up that info with a search for "run old task manager in windows 8".

-Noel

Edited by NoelC