Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

I just caught backgroundTaskHost.exe loading 17 MB of data into files labeled with "Microsoft.BingSports" and "InetCache" in the path.

The takeaway clue is "internet cache" I think.

I have just uninstalled the Sports app, along with a number of other "fluff" Apps like Food and News, and will see if this helps with the unexpected downloads.

Edit:  Another 6 hours and the system accumulated another 11 MB of download.  I think uninstalling those Apps has helped slow things down, though an additional 11 MB isn't anything to sneeze at.

-Noel

Thanks for the update. Have you been able to draw any further conclusions in the time since?

--JorgeA

Recent 'recommended' patch for Windows 7 and 8.1 lets you know when Windows 10 becomes available

Ah, so this is the mysterious patch that popped up in Windows Update last week. I suspected it had to do with Win10.

Of course I hid the Update as soon as I read the KB article. Not gonna install anything with such a vague description.

Another reason it's outrageous that Win10 updates don't come with working links to KB articles. Evidently they would like users to just accept whatever comes down the pike.

Nice remark down in the comments section:

No, thanks. I set hide flag on this. Don't have anything better to do than get annoyed by notification that downgrade is available.

:thumbup

--JorgeA

Happy Se7en users check your six:

2hojql5.jpg

Update for Windows 7 and 8.1 silently installs Windows 10 downloader

"Microsoft has released an optional update that “enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user”. We discovered the update is actually a downloader for Windows 10 which will notify the user that Microsoft’s upcoming operating system can be downloaded."

myce-windows-10-downloader.gif

"... Once the update is downloaded it adds a folder to System32 called “GWX” which contains 9 files and a folder called “Download”. One of the four .EXE files reveals what the update really is, the description of GWXUXWorker.EXE states, “Download Windows 10″. This explains the X in the name, the X is the Roman number 10 ..."

"... The section “Phases” describes how the downloader should behave when the Windows 10 release date nears. Initially, during phase “None”, all features are disabled, then during  phase “AnticipationUX” advertising banners will be shown, presumably on a homescreen tile and additionally a tray icon will appear.

The next phase is called “Reservation” which according to the config file will show the advertisement tile, the tray icon but also a reservation page. Further phases are the first publication of the final RTM (release to manufacturing), version the general availability (GA) as well as various phases of the upgrade process such as UpgradeDownloadInProgress, UpgradeDownloaded, UpgradeReadyToInstall, UpgradeSetupCompatBlock, UpgradeSetupRolledBack and UpgradeSetupComplete ..."

Now that's what I call desperate. The users don't want to come to metro? Let metro come to them! I get it that they want to make money through the store, but shoving a GUI down the throats over and over that almost no ones likes and failed on pretty much every product its on isn't the ticket to nirvana. Beside the defused xbone (which is primarily a game launcher and you don't interact with the GUI much) is there at least one successful metro product? The fact that they all bombed might serve as a cluebat.

Why make W10 look sane and usable when you can abuse your update mechanisms instead, right?

So classy that the support page doesn't mention W10 at all and users had to handle this thing like a spyware download to find out what it's really about. *clap* *clap*.

Just checked Windows Update myself.. that thing is now in the "important" category!

It's now a recommended "important" update that installs automatically when auto-update is on!

Thanks for the update. Have you been able to draw any further conclusions in the time since?

No conclusions, no, except that the system is loaded up with fluff that needs to be trimmed out with some prejudice before it can begin to be considered a useful animal.  There's an unprecedented amount of it so far.  Brokers?  Hosts?  Wrappers?  Only a very few of which seem to exit on their own when the system is idle.

Of course I hope that Microsoft will optimize it before release, but they have a long tradition of leaving things *barely* completed.  After all, it's not THEIR computers being slowed down by all the garbage.  Manufacturers may even love them for it, since it means users have to buy more hardware - though frankly I thought maybe they'd get a little more careful once they started building their own hardware.  Still, what harm is it to have users pining for 16 or 32 GB of RAM.  Just sells bigger Surface models.

-Noel

Edited by NoelC

There is no escape from the Windows 10 train of suck.

It's obvious that they want to push Windows 10 for free through Windows update for Windows 7 users. Desperate much?

It is now literally the case that Microsoft is pushing PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs).

I can imagine the uproar that's bound to come when all these people who set their PCs to automatically download updates, suddenly get this alien-looking stuff on their screens. Could become a PR disaster for Microsoft.

--JorgeA

No conclusions, no, except that the system is loaded up with fluff that needs to be trimmed out with some prejudice before it can begin to be considered a useful animal.  There's an unprecedented amount of it so far.  Brokers?  Hosts?  Wrappers?  Only a very few of which seem to exit on their own when the system is idle.

Of course I hope that Microsoft will optimize it before release, but they have a long tradition of leaving things *barely* completed.  After all, it's not THEIR computers being slowed down by all the garbage.  Manufacturers may even love them for it, since it means users have to buy more hardware - though frankly I thought maybe they'd get a little more careful once they started building their own hardware.  Still, what harm is it to have users pining for 16 or 32 GB of RAM.  Just sells bigger Surface models.

-Noel

On the face of it, that would run counter to the supposed purpose of "One Windows" that would fit on 32GB SD cards. (Not that the geniuses at MSFT have thought it through, necessarily.) Unless they fix it, these cards will quickly fill up with debris, rendering the phone or tablet unusable.

--JorgeA

P.S. The available space on my Win10 drive is down half a GB from yesterday.

Edited by JorgeA

... I can imagine the uproar that's bound to come when all these people who set their PCs to automatically download updates, suddenly get this alien-looking stuff on their screens. Could become a PR disaster for Microsoft.

At best it's pester-ware, like in the months preceding XP being EOLed.

At worst many innocent padawans may wake up one day to find that their perfectly fine W7 systems have been irreversibly turned to the tiled side of the force ...

oSCICpEJ.jpeg

I avoided Vista/Win 8 in the past, but I've been reading about Win 10 to see if Microsoft had changed it's ways-it obviously hasn't!  Now I'm considering going back to Win XP for my main system now!

You should be OK with Win7 for several years. Maybe by then either MSFT will have come to its senses or someone else will have created a viable compatible alternative.

--JorgeA

Another flare-up in the war, I see.

BTW the first post on that page is a fabulous rundown of the many problems with Windows 10 -- among the very best I've seen! :thumbup  Do you think that @wastingtimewithforums would mind us quoting it here?   ;)

Meantime, here's this one-liner (all right, two-liner) by @NoelC regarding that mystery Windows Update from last week that prepares Windows 7 machines to receive Win10:

If they're doing such a good thing by all of us, why not describe what's happening in clear terms?  The obfuscation is obvious even to my cat, who is also concerned since his food is paid for by software sold into the Windows universe.

:lol:

--JorgeA

P.S. The analogy in that thread about "being offered a glass of water" would work better if it said you were offered a glass of water and were given a jar of p*ss instead...

Edited by JorgeA