Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

It seems all the talk here about the TP is people testing Bigmuscle and Tihiy's add-ons. Everyone else seems to have posted "I tried it once for 10 minutes and this is what I think" and that's the end of it. Well... except Noel who has at least installed an update.

It seems all the talk here about the TP is people testing Bigmuscle and Tihiy's add-ons. Everyone else seems to have posted "I tried it once for 10 minutes and this is what I think" and that's the end of it. Well... except Noel who has at least installed an update.

Well, what do you do when you are looking to buy a car?
  • you go to the car dealer and see what is on sale
  • in no more than 10 minutes you decide which model(s) you are interested in, basing the decision on price, features and looks
  • if possible you arrange for a test drive for ONLY the model(s) that you fancied in #2 (in other words, you are not going to test drive a yellow 1977 Ford Pinto Cruising Wagon, because you excluded it because on how ugly it is ;)):
220px-1977_Ford_Pinto_Cruising_Wagon.jpg

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Yesterday I installed the 9860 build. While the tech news sites are claiming the process takes 15-30 minutes, my test laptop (an i5-3210M) took 55 minutes from the time I started the Installation, with several reboots along the way.

Visually, the biggest difference is the animations when opening or closing a window. I do like this, it adds a bit of panache to the Windows experience.

On the other hand, Microsoft seems to be slowly migrating its administrative/customization options from Control Panel to the new "PC Settings" Metro-inspired menu, as reported by Neowin:

We know the company is asking users how they could improve the new PC Settings pane, and more importantly, what it will take for them to move away from Control Panel. We can start to see evidence of their efforts on this front in the new 9860 build where you can find a zPC Settings app. The zApps naming and panel is clearly a work-in-progress carried over from internal testing used by Microsoft.

Honestly, I don't see the need to fix what isn't broken. This move suggests to me that this is the overall "look and feel" that Microsoft wants Windows eventually to take. With all that dead empty screen space, I suggest buying stock in mouse manufacturers as a lot of mouse wheels are going to wear out prematurely from all the additional scrolling that's going to be needed.

When complete, the PC Settings menu had better include every single option that now exists in Control Panel. <_<

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

^^  :lol:  That's a good one!!

But... I didn't say that I liked that Pinto.  :)  I bought it used; let's just say that it was all I could afford at the time. :ph34r:

OTOH, I do still like my Vista.  :P

--JorgeA

I bought it used; let's just say that it was all I could afford at the time.  :ph34r:

Yep :yes:,  let's just say that - curiously enough - at the time it had a much lower selling price than other comparable cars.

I wonder WHY exactly that happened. :unsure:

jaclaz

The Metro vs. Aero wars are heating up again on the Microsoft forums:

The UI is so UGLY an there are no options to change this.

For me and the mayority of people i know, the user interface is completity UGLY. With Windows 10 is more UGLY too changing the desktop icons.

Simple, plain, flat, lack of constrast between areas, terrible an heavy colors, bad icons seens to developed by a three years old baby.

Also Windows 10, as same as Windows 8.x has no options to change this.

Windows 7 has options to change all of this an select if you want transparencies, aero and more OR NOT. Windows 8.x and 10 has NO OPTIONS.

The Advanced Appearance Settings is removed in Windows 8.x and 10[...]

[...] ALL MODERN/Metro Design, including the Microsoft and Windows logo, the Web design and all, are UGLY. Very UGLY with NO OPTIONS to change this.

I respect all people who like this simple and minilastist design, but i ask those people respect us for all that i not like that design.

Bring back Aero Glass from Windows 8 Developer Preview

I understand you've made concessions with Windows Aero (lite) we'll call it to allow for better battery life on portable devices; Microsoft is forgetting that over 250 million (75 million of them on Steam alone) are using Gaming PCs capable of driving more GPU and RAM hungry OS shells like Aero Glass.

Please allow us to have the choice to use the Aero Glass you so kindly provided in Windows 8 Developer preview and took from us in RTM.

http://i.imgur.com/JRcHWds.jpg

We should not have to pay third party developers (http://www.glass8.eu/) to bring back something which was already made available by the OS for free.

Just give us the option.

What I find most striking is the arrogance and contempt for other people displayed by Metro fans, who seem to want everybody to be herded into adopting their preferred UI. They don't appear to understand (or care for) the concept of choice. Aero fans, OTOH, are mainly asking for usre choice and making reasoned arguments, while the other side engages largely in name-calling and sarcasm.

So long as name-calling is (by their lights) acceptable, then perhaps they wouldn't mind if we started referring to them as Metro fascists.

--JorgeA

EDIT: typo

Edited by JorgeA

I haven't said anything new about Windows 10 technical preview because there isn't anything interesting to say right now. I will be more active in this forum when there is something interesting to say. This is just second public build anyway so not surprising that most of changes in build 9860 are under hood.

I prefer to use control panel instead of PC settings. PC settings is good for touch and mobile not to desktop. I wouldn't even think of upgrading if PC settings would actually replace control panel.

Edited by Aero7x64

Well... was the Fiat 127 much loved in Italy, in its day?

The 127 was actually considered one of the BEST :thumbup cars around at the time (in it's class of course) and much, much loved :wub: . 

It was the direct counterpart to the Renault R4 and later of the R5  and (very like them) it was practically indestructible, extremely reliable and even when something went wrong it was easy to repair/fix.

The "real" 127 had the 903 cc engine of the 850 "Sport" (with reversed rotation) which was in itself an evolution of the engine of the 600, and extremely reliable/tough, later some "sport versions" and the "made in Brazil" Rustica (147) :ph34r:

http://www.targhenere.net/gallery/photogallery.php?photo_id=4937

had a senseless 1050 cc engine that burned more fuel than you can imagine for all in all a very modest increase in performances.

Just like Panda's of the first and second series (and all R4's and first series of the R5), unless the body had corrosion issues, after many, many years of service you would normally have to put 'em down (with much grief :(), as they still somehow worked, without maintenance or care, they insisted on running....

jaclaz

I just found out that Microsoft has yet another way for people to opine and vote on Windows features, the Windows Feature Suggestions program.

The votes are hardly representative of the general concerns of Windows users out there -- by far the top two suggestions have to do with things of interest to people in Iran. Last I saw, that country accounts for like 2 percent of the world's population, and yet they have the top three suggestions and four of the first eight. So evidently there is coordination going on, as is also suggested by the fact that pro-Metro votes are actually ahead of pro-Aero votes despite the clear verdict of the marketplace (where actions speak louder than words).

So I urge you to sign up (you only need to provide an e-mail address and a username) and then vote for Aero. You get 20 votes in total and you can cast up to 3 of these for any single suggestion.

While you're at it, please use some of your other votes to include Windows Media Center with the standard Win10 installation.  :)

--JorgeA