Windows 10 - First Impressions

dencorso

Signing up to insider program is not required to use Tech preview but I would encourage to join it as without joining the insider program you can't use the feedback app. The feedback app is very useful: you can give your own feedback in that app or agree with others' feedbacks and if necessary provide more details to specific feedback. You miss a lot of chances to give feedback if you are not an insider.

Otherwise you will be asked to give feedback by Microsoft, but you can't offer your own feedback or agree with others' feedbacks: basically you can only give feedback when Microsoft ask you to, if you are not an insider.

I'm a little leery of giving them my birthdate. They say it's to "personalize" ads but how do I know that this information will not be accessible to anybody else (via a deliberate decision by Microsoft, or via hacking)? Is there a downside to providing a wrong birthdate?

A couple more notes about the TP:

1)  I customized the Start Menu color, and some time around then the automatic listing of All Apps by hovering stopped working. Now I have to actually click on All Apps in order to see the list of programs.

2) Also, I installed Classic IE from Classic Shell to enhance my IE11 experience; not having the title bar was disconcerting. The program icon and the title bar are back now, and the title bar is centered across the top. But the progress bar and zone indicator at the bottom right corner aren't showing up, even though they are checked off in the Classic Shell settings. I'll report the issue on the Classic Shell forum in case they don't already know about it.

--JorgeA

Is there a downside to providing a wrong birthdate?

Last time I provided someone with 01 March 1927 I was flooded with ads for denture adhesives and some horoscopes for Pisces.

While the former were pretty much uninteresting to me, the latter were actually more accurate than the average ones for my actual astrological sign.

:lol:

jaclaz 

Over 1 Million People Have Downloaded the Windows Technical Preview

1 million users in about 10 days. As noted up front, over 1 million people have installed the Windows Technical Preview.

200,000 pieces of user-initiated feedback (or UIFs) have been submitted to us via the Windows Feedback app from Windows Insiders.

Most installs are on real PCs. Only 36 percent of Windows Technical Preview installs have been in virtual environments like Hyper-V. So 64 percent of the installs are on actual PCs.

App launches are up. Microsoft's plan to bring Universal mobile apps to the desktop appears to be working already. 68 percent of testers are launching more than 7 apps per day, Belfiore says. And fully 25 percent of devices running the Windows Technical Preview are launching more than 26 apps per day.

[...]

New build soon. Wondering when we're going to get the first major update to the Windows Technical Preview? "A new build should be coming soon too," Belfiore writes. He also recommends that you follow Microsoft's Gabe Aul on Twitter to get the first heads-up about future updates.

I'm not too persuaded about the meaning of that "number of app launches" item. The testers are a self-selected group who are much more "into Windows" than the general using public, and moreover they're more likely to go around trying everything out to see how it's working.

--JorgeA

P.S. About those 200,000 pieces of feedback -- I feel like I've read about 120,000 of them in the last couple of days. :crazy:

Edited by JorgeA

I can do that. Yet, just as for its Win 8 counterpart, here we have more latitude... 

But I'll wait till Wednesday before doing anything, and here and now I'm inviting all members having 200 or more posts to chime in.

I'll sure take your opinions into account.

Sheep shop at Microsoft.

Nice :), very, VERY nice :thumbup

Ads like these are the reason why the creatives at advertising agencies get millions and you don't.

Yep :yes:, I would have considered offensive to represent MS customers as sheep[*] and would have failed to have a gnome acting as shepherd.

jaclaz

[*] Though cannot really say if offensive for the customers or for the sheep. ;)

I can do that. Yet, just as for its Win 8 counterpart, here we have more latitude... 

So then the idea is to shift the whole range of discussion from "Deeper Impressions" over to here?

If that's the case, I could go for that and then there'd be no reason to move the thread to the new Win10 subforum.

--JorgeA

Yes. That was the ain reason for moving "Deeper Impressions" here. So I went ahead and created 1st impressions for 10 here.

But, now that "Deeper Impressions" has been here already for a long time (and it *is* a high traffic thread, you know) is time to reevaluate:

Either all such threads remain here or they go to their specific forums. Both. Of course, when my 10 1st impressions is retired, to give room for a corresponding "Deeper Impressions", I may move the retired thread to the 10 forum, while leaving the then new active thread here. I envision the moment for it as around when 10 goes RTM. OTOH, I may also fish the old 8 1st Impressions at the 8 forum and move it here, if we so decide. That's why I'm consulting you. 

Yes. That was the ain reason for moving "Deeper Impressions" here. So I went ahead and created 1st impressions for 10 here.

But, now that "Deeper Impressions" has been here already for a long time (and it *is* a high traffic thread, you know) is time to reevaluate:

Either all such threads remain here or they go to their specific forums. Both. Of course, when my 10 1st impressions is retired, to give room for a corresponding "Deeper Impressions", I may move the retired thread to the 10 forum, while leaving the then new active thread here. I envision the moment for it as around when 10 goes RTM. OTOH, I may also fish the old 8 1st Impressions at the 8 forum and move it here, if we so decide. That's why I'm consulting you. 

Good questions all -- and thanks for asking!

I do like it that having the active thread under "The General Stuff" allows us to discuss a broader range of Microsoft-related topics than if the thread were placed specifically in the Windows 10 (or 8) subforums. So I would vote for leaving it here.

As to where to put the retired threads, I could go either way. I guess that ultimately it makes the most sense to move them to their corresponding OS subforums, but I don't feel strongly about that.

--JorgeA

One "first impression" about Windows 10 is the lack of impression it seems to be making. If you go around the tech news sites, there's not a whole lot of talk about it, pro or con. Even here at MSFN the discussion seems to have ground to a halt. (Unless we're all so busy testing it and giving feedback to Microsoft via their forums, that there's no time left to come back in here.)

The general "first impression" of Win10 by the tech public seems to be "meh." Maybe that's because it tries to be all things to everybody (like with that Start Menu featuring a Live Tiles right panel) and ends up leaving no one in particular feeling really happy.

--JorgeA