Difficuly setting up Ad Hoc Network

shorterxp

Edit, nlite is no longer the issue. Soley networking issue setting up ad-hoc.

Hi all,

In the firey depths with this one, praying for a networking guru, here's hoping...

I wish to set up a network at a location sans router or web access (offline ad-hoc).

Desktop has standard wireless dongle (could it be that it's USB 2.0?). Laptop has built-in wireless (both tested functional).

I have tried both windows and manufacturers software to no avail. Using winblows for now...

Setting up ad-hoc, here is probably the most comprehensive tutorial I found which involves assigning IP addresses: link

On the desktop (initiator/host);

Following the steps I create a new ad-hoc called 'test' via wireless network connection properties.

It's not clear whether ok and exiting properties initiates the ad-hoc.

The other computer (laptop) doesn't see it until I double-click 'test' (on this machines own available wirless networks list{?). I think this is the xp way of initiating ad-hoc, who knows.

Laptop;

After that kurfuffle, laptop detects 'test' network on wireless networks list, I connect to it;

Then "Waiting for network..." dialog shows forever.

Whence it stops, a phenomenon occurs wherby, when high-lighted in the list, my network is shown as 'Not Connected' contradicting the button below it which reads "Disconnect". See screenshot.

[edit: below no longer relevant]

As for the slow waiting for network dialog - I did research which indicates to try resetting winsock using netsh winsock reset command, tried it and prompt returned netsh missing.

So it may well be a dodgy nlite install but I'm p***ed because It's the second attempt, the preceding disc missed the windows wireless utility entirely, despite me making sure that  'wireless networking' and associated bits were exempt from removal.

In any case I got netsh winsock reset command working by sourcing components from the SP3 installer and extracting them to system32.

for reference: "i disabled netsh and I had a buggy winsock" - source

So winsock is reset, thankfully but I was unable to register said components because I get this error message mid-flight;

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\xxx.dll was loaded, but the dllRegisterServer entry point was not found.
This file can not be registered.

Hints?

I wonder if registering these components will cure this 'not connected' ad-hoc situation ... or if it's perhaps something to do with the IP Address(es).

May he praise all the responsive with thanks.

Grand forum

Edited by shorterxp

From memory to create an ad-hoc network. Both computers need Ip addresses on the same subnet. Typically something like 192.168.0.10 and 192.168.0.11 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and if they need internet you will need a default gateway which would normally be the IP of the router 192.168.0.1 and dns server is usually the router too which would also be 192.168.0.1

after you've setup the ad-hoc network just do a ping from one machine to the other ping 192.168.0.10, make sure the windows firewalls aren't blocking it too.

Not sure what's going on with your network adapters, may be worth totally uninstalling the drivers and re-downloading them.

Using my google-fu skills I found this.

http://www.home-network-help.com/ad-hoc-wireless-network.html

Edited by techsup1983

@shorterxp, You have several points of failure going on.  From the ad-hoc network to the nLited OS.  I would strongly suggest trying to separate those potential problem areas as you are trying to troubleshoot this new, for you, ad-hoc network.

Regardless of how good a product that nLite is, it is written by one man and it is not perfect.  It's job of safe component removal is made extremely difficult due to the complex interactions between all of the OS subsystems.  Why do you think that MS itself does not provide built-in methods in the OS for everyone to just point-and-click to remove all of the functions that the user doesn't think they need?  Besides which, do you really and truly need to remove the components you are trying to remove, or do you just have the understandable idea that having a leaner OS will be better in some way?

Anyway, You can wait to see if another user has run into this situation, or you can try to resolve it yourself.  I would suggest setting up the systems on your ad-hoc network with nothing whatsoever removed by nLite at all.  That would verify that your hardware and procedures for setting up the network are all working correctly. Then you can begin redoing the OS with nLite.  Don't try to remove everything you think you can at once, but do it in stages.  That will help you determine which component you are removing that you actually need to keep.  I know it's a bit of work, but things are just too interconnected for me to come up with an alternative method.  Good luck!

Cheers and Regards

Regardless of how good a product that nLite is, it is written by one man and it is not perfect.  It's job of safe component removal is made extremely difficult due to the complex interactions between all of the OS subsystems.

An extremely polite way to say that nlite gives powers to the user and with great power comes greater responsibility, which translated means "You removed too many things, your fault!" ;).

Why do you think that MS itself does not provide built-in methods in the OS for everyone to just point-and-click to remove all of the functions that the user doesn't think they need?

An even more polite way to not say how the real reason is that they are a bunch of lazy, presumptuous, bastards, driven by their marketing department and while they perfectly know how to componentize Windows XP (which BTW they actually did in Windows Embedded) the thought of doing so for the "normal" version never crossed their minds :whistle:, in other words, that is by design.

jaclaz

I think you're grumpier today than usual, jaclaz... :D

Naaah, strangely enough ;), not grumpy at all  :no: I was just attempting  to translate (as usual :thumbup) politically correct :yes: post by bphlpt into more layman language, while at the same time attempting to show my appreciation for the precise nailing of the issues he managed to do.

jaclaz

Hello, back again.

Interesting replies. I will certainly try another hardware wifi router in desktop machine.

Maybe go through pain of installing xp home again, twice, again.

In meantime... what about the error message?

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\xxx.dll was loaded, but the dllRegisterServer entry point was not found.
This file can not be registered.

I would like to try perhaps registering these dlls. Is there an easy way to do this?

/ Pictures are funny.

God speed

Edited by shorterxp

JFYI, there are basically three types of .dll's:

1. those that do not need to be registered (and that will throw that error when you attempt to register them)
  2. those that should be registered and contain registering info
  3. those that should be registered but do not contain registering info (or that contain incomplete registering info as some other setting is needed to have them work as expected, and that I believe may show as well that error, but that anyway won't work rightly if all the settings in Registry are made).

Now, still JFYI and only seemingly OT:

http://reboot.pro/topic/3717-xpsp1-with-full-commandline-and-ntfs-below-10-mb/?p=154017

jaclaz

Thanks jaclaz.

As advised I installed XP SP3 full on both machines and still cannot get it to connect, so dodgy nlite is out of the question.

So primarily a networking issue.

I suspected usb dongle was unable to host network but it should as NETGEAR applet provides initiate adhoc function.

I have tried this as well as windows own to initiate ad-hoc.

NETGEAR Initiate Ad-hoc.

aMolpsS.png

I click Initiate then apply, the network goes live and the laptop shows me this in Wireless Networks after clicking connect.

Winblows

aNlbVXD.jpg

Like I say, I have tried x amount of tutorials, the most comprehensive one here which involves Setting IP and enabling ICS to no avail.

Any ideas?

Edited by shorterxp