reinstall netsh

aaronbond

hi everyone i'm new to the board. been using nlite for about 6-8 months now. anyways...

I need to resintall netsh in windows xp. I nlited my last install w/ xp w/ sp2 and one of the options i removed was netsh. Well, now apparently i've screwed up my tcp/ip stack so i need netsh to reset my tcp stack (too much tweaking). I need to know if there is any way I can reinstall it via XP CD or any other way. It would be much appreciated for the help. I don't want to have to format. :( Thanks.

• 3 years later...

Hey. I stubled on this srsly old topic in google while searching how to reinstall netsh.

I removed it with the nlite aswell and now need to reset tcp/ip stack. And this seems the only way.

Please help. Ive done everything else possible to avoid this, but nothing helps.

Ive put the netsh.exe and other two files that had netsh in their name to system32. :(

Hey. I stubled on this srsly old topic in google while searching how to reinstall netsh.

I removed it with the nlite aswell and now need to reset tcp/ip stack. And this seems the only way.

Please help. Ive done everything else possible to avoid this, but nothing helps.

Ive put the netsh.exe and other two files that had netsh in their name to system32. :(

According to the nLite FAQ, if you remove certain components it's (mostly) not possible to restore them, which would mean that you would have to re-build your unattended installation.

hi everyone i'm new to the board. been using nlite for about 6-8 months now. anyways...

I need to resintall netsh in windows xp.

Before you do anything drastic use a program such as DEPENDS (a file dependency reporter)

on the netsh.exe file and it might tell you what other files are needed. If you have to

replace any DLL's make sure to try to register them. REGSVR32 PATH\FILENAME.EXT

And reboot the computer after replacing and registering.

Try going to a machine where netsh works and looking at its registry. Export entries

containing netsh as .REG files then bring the files to the computer in question and

add them to the registry. Reboot after doing so.

A program such as RANSACK is a good search engine for files containing filenames, words

and phrases.

Don't give up. I just fixed a bunch of "Cannot Load Installer For... Contact Your Hardware Vendor"

(Yeah, RIGHT, he really knows) using some of the things I mentioned above. Because I had at

some point gotten delete happy.

Good Luck

Slinkie

AKA

StarDotStar

• 4 weeks later...

I did the EXACT same mistake with nlite : i disabled netsh and I had a buggy winsock

dhcp client was not launching because netbios didn't start

I managed to reinstall netsh by following Slinkie's advice (bug thanks for the method)

And here's what I did exactly (maybe not everything is necessary) :

add this to registry

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NetSh]

"ipv6mon"="ipv6mon.dll"

"1"="ipmontr.dll"

"2"="ifmon.dll"

"3"="ippromon.dll"

"4"="rasmontr.dll"

"5"="ipxmontr.dll"

"6"="ipxpromn.dll"

"dgnet"="dgnet.dll"

"hnetmon"="hnetmon.dll"

"FWCFG"="fwcfg.dll"

retrieve the above dlls and netsh.exe from an other working xp with sp2 from c:\windows\system32 to the new buggy machine

then apply REGSVR32 PATH\FILENAME.dll to all the above dlls

then reboot

then in command prompt :

netsh winsock reset

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh interface ip reset C:\Log.txt

netsh interface reset all

then reboot

then in registry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\netbt

I set Start = 2

then reboot

and everything works