Adobe Flash, Shockwave, and Oracle Java on XP (Part 1)

dencorso

20 hours ago, dencorso said:

Flash Player 21.0.0.240 has been released today (ActiveX, NPAPI and PPAPI).

I noticed a few days ago that Adobe was getting close to releasing a new version, because Google Chrome Portable 51 Beta includes it, and while Chrome 51 cannot currently run on XP, it is easy to extract the files and locate the updated pepflashplayer.dll.

Chrome 52 Developer already includes Adobe Flash Player 22 (22.0.0.137)

chrome52.jpg

Users running Windows XP and Vista should download the updated pepflashplayer.dll (also available here and here) and place it in / save it to the following Chrome PepperFlash folder:

C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\49.0.2623.112\PepperFlash

chrome51.jpg

Edited by sdfox7

The flash dll is in two places in Chrome Portable:

• GoogleChromePortable\App\Chrome-bin\49.0.2623.112\PepperFlash
  • GoogleChromePortable\Data\profile\PepperFlash

I have been updating both, not sure if the latter is required.

EDIT:  The Flash site shows that indeed 21.0.0.240 is installed.  But when I typed “Chrome://components/” and Enter in URL bar, it showed:

pepper_flash - Version: 21.0.0.216

which it arrived at apparently just by reading the name of this folder:

GoogleChromePortable\Data\profile\PepperFlash\21.0.0.216

as evidenced by the fact that by merely renaming the folder to 21.0.0.240, the “Chrome://components/” now shows the correct version as well.

Edited by bluebolt

20 hours ago, bluebolt said:

The flash dll is in two places in Chrome Portable:

• GoogleChromePortable\App\Chrome-bin\49.0.2623.112\PepperFlash
  • GoogleChromePortable\Data\profile\PepperFlash

I have been updating both, not sure if the latter is required.

EDIT:  The Flash site shows that indeed 21.0.0.240 is installed.  But when I typed “Chrome://components/” and Enter in URL bar, it showed:

pepper_flash - Version: 21.0.0.216

which it arrived at apparently just by reading the name of this folder:

GoogleChromePortable\Data\profile\PepperFlash\21.0.0.216

as evidenced by the fact that by merely renaming the folder to 21.0.0.240, the “Chrome://components/” now shows the correct version as well.

GREAT WORK!

I noticed this problem as well, just now. It turns out that my solution above is not entirely inclusive. It is also necessary to navigate to

C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen Fox\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash\21.0.0.216

Then you need to replace the plugin in that folder with the updated plugin. I've opted to go with the newest 22.0.0.137 from Chrome 52.

Once I have done that, right-clicking on the Adobe Flash test page confirms that the newest version is installed.

af2200137.jpg

af2200137_2.jpg

af2200137_3.jpg

I re-tested using 22.0.0.147 (from Chrome Portable Dev) and checking the Flash site, and can confirm that both pepperflash dlls must be replaced in order to achieve update in Chrome portable.

On 5/14/2016 at 1:22 PM, bluebolt said:

I re-tested using 22.0.0.147 (from Chrome Portable Dev) and checking the Flash site, and can confirm that both pepperflash dlls must be replaced in order to achieve update in Chrome portable.

That is correct. If you fail to update the plugin in the folder

C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen Fox\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash\21.0.0.xxx

Chrome will still report the version that exists there. I'm not sure why there are two locations for PepperFlash, it used to just be the regular Program File folder.

Opera 36 also has no flash plugin updated.

"While Opera 36 will be last one with features additions on Windows XP and Vista, we are still going to provide security and crash fixes to XP and Vista platform. You will not be able to run Opera 37+ on Windows XP and Vista, we advise you update to more recent OS, if possible. Otherwise, we will have Opera 36 for you"

Poor security with Flash (enabled by default) old.

Edited by Sampei.Nihira

On 5/20/2016 at 3:24 PM, Sampei.Nihira said:

Opera 36 also has no flash plugin updated.

"While Opera 36 will be last one with features additions on Windows XP and Vista, we are still going to provide security and crash fixes to XP and Vista platform. You will not be able to run Opera 37+ on Windows XP and Vista, we advise you update to more recent OS, if possible. Otherwise, we will have Opera 36 for you"

Poor security with Flash (enabled by default) old.

You can get Adobe Flash for Opera from this page: https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Select "Windows 7/Vista/XP" and then select FP 21 for Opera and Chromium PPAPI.

Unselect the McAfee Security Scan Plus crapware!

fp21opera.jpg

• 1 month later...

I wanted to note that that although Chrome is no longer receiving updates under XP, I noticed today that the structure of the 

C:\Documents and Settings\Stephen Fox\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\PepperFlash\21.0.0.xxx

folder has changed.

I noticed this because somehow I did not have to manually update pepflashplayer.dll this time around like I normally have. It appears Google has created a way for the pepflashplayer.dll to update independently on unsupported systems, even without Chrome itself updating.

As in my post above from May, the Application Data folder for Chrome looked like this:

af2200137_2.jpg

It now looks like this, completely different:

af2200192.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

As dencorso says ... just for the record ... the ESR version of flash player will be going away in October.

Extended Support Release - Flash Player 18.0.0.366 (Win & Mac)

ATTENTION: Important Changes to Extended Support Release

The Extended Support Release was originally created to help minimize the time IT administrators spend certifying a new Flash Player release, by restricting the number of changes introduced in a given release to only security changes and critical functional fixes.  At the time, functional changes far outweighed the number of security fixes included with each release of Flash Player.  In the modern security landscape; however, the opposite is true and the combination of proactive and responsive security mitigations far outweigh functional changes.  In practice, the ESR no longer insulates IT organizations from the vast majority of changes included in the standard Flash Player release, providing little relief in terms of reduced functional risk.  As a result, we have decided to discontinue the ESR branch and instead focus solely on the standard release.  Focusing on the standard release allows us to be more agile in response scenarios, and to focus more deeply on both testing and new security engineering efforts moving forward.

To permit organizations sufficient time for testing and certification, the ESR will be maintained and updated until October 11, 2016, after which point organizations will need to transition to the standard release.

... so I guess I will have to go back to using the regular flash player release ... which for now is:

Flash Player 22.0.0.209 (Mac & Win NPAPI & PPAPI); 22.0.0.210 (Win ActiveX)

• 3 weeks later...