The Windows 10 RTM

mikedigitize

I'm not sure if this is happening to anyone else, but for some strange reason. I'm having one small issue with the settings app.

I go to the "Personalization > Themes" section and the following links cause the settings app to crash...

"Theme Settings", "Advanced Sound Settings", and "Mouse Pointer Settings"

rarely will the "Desktop Icon Settings" crash Settings as well.

The mentioned links will sometimes work but most of the time cause the Settings app to crash, I've tried the sfc /scannow command and it hasn't worked, and I feel I shouldn't clean install Windows 10 for something this minor, is there a way to fix the settings app so that it doesn't crash? Even after the Day 1 patch that got launched out doesn't fix this Settings app issue.

Edited by DoubleSAnimations

I'm not seeing Settings App crashes here, for what it's worth.

Describe what you mean by "I've tried the sfc /scannow command and it hasn't worked".

It reported a problem but failed to correct it?  Or it says everything's fine but the settings app still crashes?  If the former, you could try:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Hh824869.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Specifically,

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

-Noel

I'm not seeing Settings App crashes here, for what it's worth.

Describe what you mean by "I've tried the sfc /scannow command and it hasn't worked".

It reported a problem but failed to correct it?  Or it says everything's fine but the settings app still crashes?  If the former, you could try:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Hh824869.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Specifically,

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

-Noel

i would launch the sfc /scannow command in the Command Prompt or Windows Powershell and I'd wait for it to finish. Once it does finish it tells me, "Windows Resource Protection has not found any integrity violations, yet the Settings app still crashes when I click on any of the 3 links mentioned above.

I also have an issue with Windows Backup to where it freezes almost everytime after it searches for drives to backup to.

• Update - 7/31/15

The settings app crashing when "Theme Settings", "Advanced Sound Settings", and "Mouse Pointer Settings" are clicked, seems to be caused by having OldNewExplorer 1.1.5.1 Shell extension installed.

Edited by DoubleSAnimations